Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Israeli carry - a short experiment

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    We return to the question thus; whats the best way to teach a casual gun owner how to tote their heater?
    They should have one hour more formal training than you do. How many hours would that give them?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    They should have one hour more formal training than you do. How many hours would that give them?
    Left your slide rule at home, did you?
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    Buy a G19 with a decent holster and carry C1...

For the Soccer Mom who has a gun in a purse without a proper holster I can understand C3 (though I cannot understand the thought process that leads to that situation...)

My argument is for 99.9% of folks, a proper holster and C1 carry is safer, quicker and preferable than C3 carry.
    And the remaining .1%, and truthfully the many more who won't practice, should be carrying a revolver of some flavor anyway.
    Last edited by Tom_Jones; 02-18-2015 at 02:02 PM. Reason: fixed quote

Site Supporter
    Getting to be a yawn and too personal. I suggest everyone who isn't a wielder of the flame of Arnor only be allow to carry a SW Model 10 with a bobbed hammer.

The crucial human factors variable is finger on the trigger. Everything said is an attempt to avoid the affordance accident of pulling the damn trigger when you shouldn't. DA/SA, Cocked at locked, heavier pulls on DA revolvers - all attempts to avoid that tendency to pull the damn trigger when you shouldn't. Look at the cop in NY who was charged for walking around in the dark with his finger on the trigger and shooting an incident. The Diallo case (assigned to prejudice) might have been finger on the trigger and a stumble backwards, leading to the first shot and the sympathetic shooting.

Figure out how to keep the finger off the trigger. Remember the gadget that fit into the Glock trigger guard and you had to push it out. It's similar to the plastic tap safety that is on the Kimber Pepper spray derringer like gadget.

Arguing for solutions that allow poor trigger discipline is not a good solution. C3 is just an attempt to argue that if the gun is good to go, someone will pull the trigger incorrectly.

Of course, there is the argument that a C3 draw leads to an ND as you charge the gun and shoot - as probably most training would have you do. Does that happen? NO idea of that rate in training.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Life reason #1- My first post in this thread that I deleted was a rather long one about an incident that happened to an older gentleman I know. The short version is his vehicle was trapped between a car that had stopped in the middle of the road with two parked cars on either side and another driver had pulled behind him. He asked the driver politely to move his car so he could go by and the driver who was a full blown meth head turned, starting swearing and coming at his vehicle threatening him. Being trapped and feeling in fear for his safety, he pulled the little Phoenix Arms .22lr semi auto out of his coat pocket, racked the slide and pointed it at the tweaker just before he was in reach of the car. Tweaker stopped, jumped in his car and sped off. ...
    I fully expected this story to end with, "and when he put the loaded gun away, he shot himself as he was not used to putting away loaded guns."

Life lesson #2- When my wife and I were engaged, we were in town with our 15 month old niece. Back then I was in full newb derp mode, I mexican carried(AIWB with no holster) a Glock 19 C3. We were headed back to my truck, middle of the day summer time, and I was carrying the baby in my left arm when I was caught off guard by a drug addict asking for spare change and cigarettes. ...
    One of those really rare situations in which C3 finally measurably slows one down a few hundredth of a second, maybe. :-)

Buy a G19 with a decent holster and carry C1...

For the Soccer Mom who has a gun in a purse without a proper holster I can understand C3 (though I cannot understand the thought process that leads to that situation...) ...
    But what does Association Football Mother do when "it" is over? Will she really remove the magazine, empty the chamber, close the slide, decock, put the round back in the magazine and then the magazine back in the gun? Or will she put it loaded back in the not-a-holster purse? I'm worried.

Somebody should stab this zombie thread in the face before it eats our brains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Quote Originally Posted by T.Stahl View Post
    I fully expected this story to end with, "and when he put the loaded gun away, he shot himself as he was not used to putting away loaded guns."
    Nope. He engaged the safety, put it in his pocket and drove home to report the incident. Without getting a plate number there was little the police could do. He thought he would be arrested for brandishing. His lack of firearm handling skills was only surpassed by his ignorance of what brandishing actually is.

One of those really rare situations in which C3 finally measurably slows one down a few hundredth of a second, maybe. :-)
    Rare, yes, but I wholeheartedly disagree that it would've only taken a few hundredths of a second to chamber a round given the circumstances.

You missed his

T. Stahl - I don't want to think, hence why I said I don't understand the choices that lead up to that decision.

I think this thread has been interesting - for the moment I think it is probably done and a fork can be put in it.

Myself and a few other NoVA/MD folks are going to try to get some data on C1/C3 stuff and maybe we can add once that is complete.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Rare, yes, but I wholeheartedly disagree that it would've only taken a few hundredths of a second to chamber a round given the circumstances.
    I was just mocking the claim that "C3 is NOT measurabley slower on the draw than C1 regardless of ..."
    Myself and a few other NoVA/MD folks are going to try to get some data on C1/C3 stuff and maybe we can add once that is complete.
    We're planning an IPSC training day (as opposed to just a training evening) and maybe I can collect some data, too.

...and...

Buy a G19 with a decent holster and carry C1 = 42.
    Last edited by T.Stahl; 02-18-2015 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    For what, a strawman argument? I never said a word about laws.

My question is a basic one. We want people to carry more, as American citizens. At the same time only a small fraction will dedicate themselves to training.

People uninterested in safe gun handling results in this:

http://www.good4utah.com/story/d/sto...w0KKyD0_O563rA

Are people being perforated at an alarming rate? No. If its all the same, however, maybe we should work to avoid live ammo flying around public eateries. We return to the question thus; whats the best way to teach a casual gun owner how to tote their heater?
    You missed her point entirely. Here drivers education is only mandatory if you wish to get your license before you're 18. In drivers education, they teach students to obey all traffic laws, check their mirrors periodically, how to parallel park etc. What do some under 18 year old kids do when they get their drivers license? Speed, text their friends, and do burn outs in the Piggly Wiggly parking lot. Despite all that training. In places where drivers education isn't mandated, I would bet the number of kids who do all of the above is the roughly the same as in places where it is mandatory.

Her point was there are states where no firearm training is required to get a cc permit, and states where there is a training requirement. Guess what Gardone, the number of people doing stupid things with guns is probably roughly the same. Do you really think a Saturday CCW class would have stopped Chipolte guy from putting his hot gat in his backpack without the trigger being covered by a holster? How do you know from reading that article that he hadn't received any training and just chose to ignore it? Do you really think C3 is the answer for all these "less experienced" people? Who do we mandate as being less experienced? People who've never attended a training class? People who shoot less than 5000 rounds a year? 1000 rounds? How bout 100? People who break the 180 in a shooting range and don't understand that it's unsafe? People who carry without a proper holster? People who buy a gun just because their favorite movie or tv show featured it? People who can't clean a Bill Drill in 2 seconds? People who've never heard of Jeff Cooper?

User Tag List