Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Suit Carry

Site Supporter
    They can make anybody look good.

I know your brother is in that industry but go to Stanley Korshak out there in DFW.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I have to say, this thread kind of amazes me. I've never heard of anyone having difficulty concealing a gun in a suit, let a lone a j frame.

I would venture to say that's because...

All of my suits are bespoke from a guy in NYC who specializes in weird sized athletes.

That's why Mistah Bond.

Just an fyi, I talked to my exotic hide guy and he has a 3sq ft(which is huge) shell with the color marking #7, which is just a shade lighter than #8. If anyone is seriously interested, let me know. I would probably run these gun belts right at $200. I can only get a few belts out of one of these and won't be sure till it arrives.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
    http://www.jrcholsters.com

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I know your brother is in that industry but go to Stanley Korshak out there in DFW.
    Trust me, my brother does not like me in his stores, and they don't have a big & tall section.....I loudly ask everytime I go in. My brother doesn't think it's as funny as I do.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I have to say, this thread kind of amazes me. I've never heard of anyone having difficulty concealing a gun in a suit, let a lone a j frame. Where the OP is 6'5", I'm only 5'6".. I've carried a 5" 1911 in a suit for years, as well as a G22 and a Sig 228/229 before that. All AIWB, though at times regular strongside. All of my suits are bespoke from a guy in NYC who specializes in weird sized athletes. Mohan's, for anyone who is interested. He fits me twice, both times with all my gear on, and still makes the suit look like it was meant to look. Without getting as technical as Southnarc (cause I can't) a good starting point is a european cut suit. That is, a closed back being a very good thing to have. He also made all of my shirts, since most dress shirts have too much material in them. Along those lines, military garters work really well to keep your shirt from fouling your draw. Aside from the gun, I carried a radio, baton, cuffs, spare mags and a flashlight. All of it disappeared under the suit. While wearing all that, I once had dinner at the Natural History museum, and the woman sitting next to me was Queen Rania, of Jordan. It was rather important that I blend in, and my Mohan's Tux did the job nicely. Highly recommended. Nothing worse than looking like the help, even if that's what you are.
    I've carried concealed in a suit for over 15 years and my experience mirrors SLG's. A well tailored suit will conceal your gear easily.
    If you don't need (want to spend money) on a bespoke suit, Brooks Brothers sells separates (jacket and pants) in different sizes from the same pattern cloth. This way you can wear 30" waist pants with a 44" chest jacket without having to have extensive alterations done. I would stay away from their Outlet suits, the regular suits are very well made and last quite a long time. They will do free alterations for you in the store and are very familiar with gun carriers and their needs.
    If you have a need to take off your jacket, then the only options would be a "tuckable" holster, belly band, or pocket holster (j frame).
    The Brooks Brothers shirts are also well made and look professional.
    They run a Bi-Annual sale, that is the time to "suit up"!

I've found Bianchi's Professional 100 to be a pretty good "suit" holster. It's an IWB with a clip (the clip is very durable, so it's not quite the immediately "fail" that might come to mind), a fairly high sweatshield, and a thin leather pouch. I have one for a Glock 17, 1911/Hi Power. The 1911/Hi Power is probably the best route. The downside is that the holster mouth is not reinforced, which can make re-holstering a two-handed affair.

http://www.safariland.com/inside-wai...ter-10812.html

Best, Jon

S'narc. I get that, but a J frame? :-)

Queen Rania. You always did get all the good details while I was stuck with the cheap Israelis.

Quote Originally Posted by DI1 View Post
    I've carried concealed in a suit for over 15 years and my experience mirrors SLG's. A well tailored suit will conceal your gear easily.
    If you don't need (want to spend money) on a bespoke suit, Brooks Brothers sells separates (jacket and pants) in different sizes from the same pattern cloth. This way you can wear 30" waist pants with a 44" chest jacket without having to have extensive alterations done. I would stay away from their Outlet suits, the regular suits are very well made and last quite a long time. They will do free alterations for you in the store and are very familiar with gun carriers and their needs.
    If you have a need to take off your jacket, then the only options would be a "tuckable" holster, belly band, or pocket holster (j frame).
    The Brooks Brothers shirts are also well made and look professional.
    They run a Bi-Annual sale, that is the time to "suit up"!
    Are you suggesting people wear an oversized suit jacket?

There's a point to wearing a suit. An oversized suit jacket is counter to that, and you may as well not even wear a suit at that point.

Subjective view:

FWIW, I'm not talking about the typical American sack suit. While not sharp looking, an American sack suit is socially acceptable and still considered professional. On the other hand, at best an oversized suit jacket makes you look like a doofus who can't dress like a professional...at worst you look like a smashed bag of ass who should be sent home until mommy can come over to dress you.

Objective view:

An oversized suit jacket attracts attention.....mostly negative....and does not play well into that whole gray man theory. In an NPE I'd say it attracts so much attention that you're endangering yourself. Kinda like a VBIED with an overloaded suspension, or Jihad Johnny wearing a heavy jacket in the summer. Something ain't right, and people notice it.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List