Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Suit Carry

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    No big deal! Drop refers to the number in inches difference between waist and chest So a drop "7" would mean that a 40 jacket would have matching trousers that have a 33" waist. The drop number is a pretty good general indicator of how fitted an off the rack brand is. And this gives me an idea of how fitted you are wearing your suits.

Most Amercian men wear a drop 6 hence the old phrase the American "Sack" suit. Good Brit or continental tailoring usually starts at a 7 unless you have you're thick around the middle.

I would do this for right now: Get a good inside the waistband strong side hip holster in a minimalist configuration like the TT Gunleather Mke's Special and try it with your suiting. The worst case is that it doesn't work and you still have a fine holster. The Mike's Special has some extra cant and might very well do the trick.

If you are going to be taking the jacket off and walking around then it's belly band time and that may very well require some trouser and shirting adjustment.
    Thanks. I think some additional tailoring might be needed for a Glock; a single-stack might just fit though.

Is the general consensus on shoulder holsters a "no," even for this limited use scenario? On paper it checks a lot of boxes, but in practice I agree that a normal strong side setup would probably be more effective.
    Join FPC

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
    Thanks. I think some additional tailoring might be needed for a Glock; a single-stack might just fit though.

Is the general consensus on shoulder holsters a "no," even for this limited use scenario? On paper it checks a lot of boxes, but in practice I agree that a normal strong side setup would probably be more effective.
    They really don't conceal better than hip holsters unless you're wearing a baggy suit and then it really doesn't matter where you carry the gun.

I have a fairly slim build, and my drop is 7. SouthNarc would be my go-to source when it comes to dressing as sharp as possible. If you are just wanting to look good in a suit and carry a real gun, however, I suggest seriously considering adopting the 3 piece look. A waistcoat (vest) is bar none one of my favorite concealment garments for carrying appendix. I find that they can be fairly heavily structured which tends to accentuate the classic V the ladies love and also has a nice side effect of concealing a full size grip in the appendix position. In an environment where you might be expected to unbutton or take off your suit coat, the vest allows you to do so in perfect comfort, and it even allows for an even more streamlined draw.

ETA: My suits aren't nearly as well fitted as SouthNarc's, but I have frequently carried a G19 AIWB in a tailored 3 piece suit, and can get away with a G34, though it is less comfortable. I think if you can solve the front exposure issue of unbuttoning the jacket with something like a vest, it conceals as well or better than something like a single stack PPS/Shield/G42 carried cavalry style at 4:30 with a double vent suit coat.

Good advice.

Also, it is much easier to work around a real handgun when using a suit with a more traditional fit vs. some of the very thin cut, short Euro styles that are popular these days.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 02-02-2015 at 04:26 PM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I asked Craig to stop by because he is THE SME on being a gun guy while wearing a sharp suit.

He is single handedly bringing sexy back to the trainer field.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I have to wear a suit maybe a few times a month and I just usually carry my g19 in a vg2 and use it as a tuckable holster. Works well for me and I don't have to do any extra tailoring. No body has ever seen or mentioned the snap belt loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I asked Craig to stop by because he is THE SME on being a gun guy while wearing a sharp suit.

He is single handedly bringing sexy back to the trainer field.
    Yea, but he is talking about sizes from the youth section. To get the right "drop" on my last trip for formal wear, there was enough left over pants to make Craig a complete suit....

Don't get me started on 1 1/4" belts........not how I load out for a working detail. Sure a lightweight pistol and magazine, but if I am wearing a suit, it is usually to keep someone from getting killed, so it has to cover a fighting size pistol (often that was a 1911), several spare magazines, cuffs, light, and often a fixed blade.
    That is kind of the difference for personal protection vs. EP/VIP protection.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Yea, but he is talking about sizes from the youth section. To get the right "drop" on my last trip for formal wear, there was enough left over pants to make Craig a complete suit....

Don't get me started on 1 1/4" belts........not how I load out for a working detail. Sure a lightweight pistol and magazine, but if I am wearing a suit, it is usually to keep someone from getting killed, so it has to cover a fighting size pistol (often that was a 1911), several spare magazines, cuffs, light, and often a fixed blade.
    That is kind of the difference for personal protection vs. EP/VIP protection.
    I'm sorry there are no good tailors in Middle Earth.

On a serious note Darryl brings up a good point about on the job stuff and suits. If you're working a detail where you might very well end up fighting, running, shooting etc. then I'd say go cheap and get enough tailoring that you look smart.

But if you're not working something like that and you just want a suit to look like a sexy motherfucker then Men's Warehouse is the Lorcin of fine men's wear. And nobody wants Lorcin on their wiener.

Just sayin'...

I never had a problem with a HK45c appendix carry in a High Noon tuckable holster. Men's Warehouse fit the pants while I was wearing a pistol (Glock at the time...but no real difference to me.), and the saleswoman advised on how to blouse the shirt so the belt clip and grip don't show, but I still look good enough that nobody asks awkward questions.

Sales clerk was good to me, and she was a gun person too.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post

But if you're not working something like that and you just want a suit to look like a sexy motherfucker then Men's Warehouse is the Lorcin of fine men's wear. And nobody wants Lorcin on their wiener.

Just sayin'...
    I need to up my game...

User Tag List