Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Suit Carry

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    No worries. The first twenty years, you be da Man!. The second twenty years you're a hipster into Vintage. The next two decades you're a cute old man who can't remember to change his clothes.
    Unfortunately for me the second twenty years I will hopefully already be in "cute old man" status. So once again PF is enabling me to spend money [emoji1]

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    I don't often have to wear a suit and I'm generally jeans and a t shirt but I do enjoy looking good when it matters and a couple times a year I do need to wear a suit. As far as suits go, is there a substantial difference between a $500 and $1000 suit?

I'm going to assume that suits are somewhat like optics.

$1000 would be the absolute upper end of my budget for just the suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Suits are somewhat like optics.. Yeah, that analogy works. However, spending $1,000.00 on one is more akin to buying target ammo at $30.00 a box. I'm a litigator by trade and I have to do the monkey suit thing everyday. Suffice it to say, I need lots of suits and they have to promote an image of success in the minds of those that retain me. You need to locate your closest Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, etc... Find out when they shove last season's merchandise out of the store to make room for new inventory and plan to buy them then. There are usually major sales going on at that time, and not always advertised. Every suit I own is Hugo Boss, Versace, and Valentino. I don't think I paid $1,000.00 for any two of them, much less one.

Buy cheap and stack deep is universal advice.

Ive been lifting a lot lately and had to pick ups suit for an event on a whim and needed it quickly so I bought a Joseph Abboud suit from Men's Wearhouse. Hopefully I did alright, it wasn't crazy expensive but it wasn't cheap either. The fabric is Italian and it's sewn in the US, which I liked. It's a separate and the jacket I fit right into but the pants needed a little work in the waist. MW was very accommodating to my gun carrying needs. My G19 AIWB disappears.

I need some nice sub $500 shoes, now, though. I love to Bontonis but I can swing 1k + on a pair of shoes I'll wear three times a year, although, I do absolutely see the merit in them. 1k for a pair of shoes you'll wear the rest of your life is actually a screaming good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    Ive been lifting a lot lately and had to pick ups suit for an event on a whim and needed it quickly so I bought a Joseph Abboud suit from Men's Wearhouse. Hopefully I did alright, it wasn't crazy expensive but it wasn't cheap either. The fabric is Italian and it's sewn in the US, which I liked. It's a separate and the jacket I fit right into but the pants needed a little work in the waist. MW was very accommodating to my gun carrying needs. My G19 AIWB disappears.

I need some nice sub $500 shoes, now, though. I love to Bontonis but I can swing 1k + on a pair of shoes I'll wear three times a year, although, I do absolutely see the merit in them. 1k for a pair of shoes you'll wear the rest of your life is actually a screaming good deal.

feet generally change in shape/size with age - typically need wider as one gets older.
    a 1k pair of shoes no matter how fine will not last a lifetime if worn too often, and will need a resoling or two if worn regularly anyway.

let me know if you need specific shoe recs - i'm kind of a shoe nut

When I used to wear a suit I carried either a Colt Detective Special or Walther PPK/s in a shoulder holster. It was perfect for driving to and from work, easy to take off in the office and put it into my desk drawer and then back on again for the drive home. Once I scared off three would be muggers simply by opening my suit jacket so that they could see my Colt. They apologized because they had to get by me to leave. I just nodded and let them get away. A day without having to shoot anyone is a very good day indeed.

What you carry depends on your body build. When I was skinny a snub nose was fine. Now that I am shaped more like Sponge Bob, I need a flatter gun or else it rubs against my side and arm. Any single stack would do. If you want a double stack an HK P30SK, Glock 25, Glock 19, M&P 9c or comparable will work also. The read choice is whether to go with a vertical or horizontal shoulder holster. I do not like horizontal ones because I will muzzle everyone behind me and with a gun like a Glock that can go off if you grab the trigger during a panic draw you can shoot someone behind you. With a vertical you can shoot someone on your side since the muzzle will point to the side before you bring it forward.

For these reasons I went with a revolver or a gun with a manual safety when I used a shoulder holster. Be warned that they are not very comfortable for all day wear though. Lay your arms flat by your side and see if there is room for a gun and holster there or will it rub your arm every time you move. These days I pocket carry at work. Normally it will be either an 11.3 ounce S&W 340PD Scandium revolver loaded with .38 +P Gold Dots, a Colt XSP .380 at 12 oz. or my Glock 43 with the extended mag. I also have a Ruger LCR in .327 Federal Magnum that holds 6. A pretty good but not as well known round that hits like a .357 with about 80% of the recoil.

Another thing to consider is a briefcase with a built in holster. I used to use one of those when I wanted to carry a bigger gun. When I got into my car to and from work, I placed my gun in my center console of a Remora Sticky Holster tucked under my belt for easy access. When I got to work I would put it in an easy open handgun safe in my desk drawer or if possible, in my pocket.

I have all sorts of jackets, coats, messenger bags, fanny packs and vests that look like regular vests and not tactical ones. In the winter I wore a coast over my suit but the coat had two holsters built in and mag holders. Use your imagination and like me you too will be able to carry a gun while wearing a bathing suit with a NAA Pug in .22 magnum inside a water proof pocket or insert.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic51 View Post
    When I used to wear a suit I carried either a Colt Detective Special or Walther PPK/s in a shoulder holster. It was perfect for driving to and from work, easy to take off in the office and put it into my desk drawer and then back on again for the drive home. Once I scared off three would be muggers simply by opening my suit jacket so that they could see my Colt. They apologized because they had to get by me to leave. I just nodded and let them get away. A day without having to shoot anyone is a very good day indeed.

What you carry depends on your body build. When I was skinny a snub nose was fine. Now that I am shaped more like Sponge Bob, I need a flatter gun or else it rubs against my side and arm. Any single stack would do. If you want a double stack an HK P30SK, Glock 25, Glock 19, M&P 9c or comparable will work also. The read choice is whether to go with a vertical or horizontal shoulder holster. I do not like horizontal ones because I will muzzle everyone behind me and with a gun like a Glock that can go off if you grab the trigger during a panic draw you can shoot someone behind you. With a vertical you can shoot someone on your side since the muzzle will point to the side before you bring it forward.

For these reasons I went with a revolver or a gun with a manual safety when I used a shoulder holster. Be warned that they are not very comfortable for all day wear though. Lay your arms flat by your side and see if there is room for a gun and holster there or will it rub your arm every time you move. These days I pocket carry at work. Normally it will be either an 11.3 ounce S&W 340PD Scandium revolver loaded with .38 +P Gold Dots, a Colt XSP .380 at 12 oz. or my Glock 43 with the extended mag. I also have a Ruger LCR in .327 Federal Magnum that holds 6. A pretty good but not as well known round that hits like a .357 with about 80% of the recoil.

Another thing to consider is a briefcase with a built in holster. I used to use one of those when I wanted to carry a bigger gun. When I got into my car to and from work, I placed my gun in my center console of a Remora Sticky Holster tucked under my belt for easy access. When I got to work I would put it in an easy open handgun safe in my desk drawer or if possible, in my pocket.

I have all sorts of jackets, coats, messenger bags, fanny packs and vests that look like regular vests and not tactical ones. In the winter I wore a coast over my suit but the coat had two holsters built in and mag holders. Use your imagination and like me you too will be able to carry a gun while wearing a bathing suit with a NAA Pug in .22 magnum inside a water proof pocket or insert.
    Where did you get the waterproof insert?

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I wear a sport coat or suit every day, but sitting down with a coat and holster stinks. OWB at 3 O'clock or shoulder holster seems the best option for me. Everything hides well under the jacket, especially if the jacket is a heavier wool.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The simple route is to have a lcp in a front pocket and a G26 on an ankle
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

"sitting down with a coat and holster stinks"
    Never had that problem.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 03-31-2017 at 01:01 AM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Super J View Post
    The simple route is to have a lcp in a front pocket and a G26 on an ankle
    Not so simple, since most suit pants will not have sufficient length to keep the ankle holster hidden when sitting unless they are very specifically tailored for this purpose. Also, do you really want a 26 ounce gun on your ankle all day? Even with an Alessi ankle holster, that can get quite uncomfortable.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List