Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Suit Carry

Suit Carry

How do ya'll carry when wearing a suit? This is one thing I have never really come up with a good answer for. My current answer is a J-frame in my pocket, but it doesn't fit super well, is difficult to draw due to the cut of the pockets, and has all the negatives associated with a J-frame. I would normally say it didn't conceal well enough, but with a jacket it's tough to see, so I've been getting by. It's not super comfortable either. I attended an outdoor wedding in 80+ degree NC this summer, and actually ditched the J-frame in the car halfway through (not my proudest moment).

I normally appendix carry a G19, but none of my tailored suits/tuxedo will fit it. And I don't yet have the kind of relationship with my tailor where I might ask to have my pants 2" larger to accommodate a firearm. Not to mention that I would have a tucked-in shirt and don't feel great about the exposed clip on tuck-supported holsters. I could move back to 4:30 so the jacket covers it I suppose, but that position conceals poorly for me. And I would need to buy a black leather gun belt that looked dressy enough to expose to the world, an additional expense.

Every time I suit up, I mentally chastise myself for still having not ordered a shoulder holster of some kind. I have no experience with them, and that is likely the only time I'd use one. I would probably dig the Walther PPS out of the safe for that, but having no experience I don't know what reasonably conceals well. Seems awfully James Bond too.

Then there's the ankle holster. Would still probably roll with the J then, but maybe I could manage a G26/P2000sk type thing. Also no experience there, familiar with the multitude of downsides.

So what do you all do? On paper I think shoulder holster with a subcompact and/or single stack is my best shot, but I have doubts. For reference I am 6'5" and almost back down to 200lbs.
    Join FPC

Site Supporter
    If there is any possibility I will have to remove my coat, a PPS in a bellyband is the only way I have managed to carry a decent sized pistol with a properly fitted suit.

I think you might be surprised to find that tailoring for firearms is more routine, normal business than you think. I just bought a couple suits from Jos A Banks and they had such options listed, and said they do it all the time. They even suggested that I wear my gun in, to measure while actually carrying.

As for an ankle holster, it wont work unless you look like a slob and have pants longer than they should be. Anytime you sit, it will be exposed if youre wearing a half break, single break, or probably even a double break.

You could always go for a thunderwear, JJ Racazza 5-0, or some similar holstering option.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Oh yeah, bellyband. I have a good one, issue there is I generally carry it low enough that the size of the pants interferes, just like IWB. I suppose I could play with moving it around.
    Join FPC

Tailored suits and carry...there's a reason Bond carried a skeletonized .25.

"I think you might be surprised to find that tailoring for firearms is more routine, normal business than you think."
    This.

I wear a G19 AIWB in a JM Custom, CCC Looper, or Fricke Seraphim without any issues--of course you have to man up and not take off your jacket like some silly kid. That or wear a 3 piece suit with a vest or tux with cummerbund that covers the AIWB holster if you absolutely must take off the jacket...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    This.

I wear a G19 AIWB in a JM Custom, CCC Looper, or Fricke Seraphim without any issues...of course you have to man up and not take off your jacket like some silly kid.
    Are you using a tuckable version of those? Or not even unbuttoning your jacket?

It's common etiquette to unbutton your jacket when sitting, but I suppose its not strictly required.
    Join FPC

Paging Southnarc to the thread........
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Not tuckable.

I wear the holster at 1 o'clock.

When sitting, it is easy to unbutton the jacket while ensuring the right side of the jacket front remains lying over the pistol.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Huh, I will have to experiment with that. My initial reaction is that it seems very ballsy; even standing, a gust of wind exposes the gun. With normal AIWB, at least my cover garments aren't split in the middle. But it could certainly work; I do like that it uses the hardware and software that I have spent a lot of time and money acquiring.
    Join FPC

User Tag List