Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The things you find...

The things you find...

Today I went to see a friend of mine to buy some powder. He mentioned that he had recently come into ownership of his great-grandpa's old snubby revolver. Apparently the old gentleman was a county sheriff somewhere back east, and toted an old snubby most of the time. I said that I'd like to see it, so my buddy brought it forth.

Name:  SnubbyK_Small.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  47.6 KB
    It's a very snub-nosed K-frame square butt. No model designation (I'm assuming it's a pre-M10 M&P of some sort), and the serial numbers are kind of odd. On the bottom of the butt, and the rear of the cylinder, there's a number in the 943xxx range. On the frame where you'd expect to find a model number on a modern Smith, it says "S N 17xxx". It's got a narrow but grooved trigger, and the action is slick as you'd expect from such an old S&W.

Even more interesting to me was the holster. At first I thought it was a pocket holster, but it appears to be a spring-loaded front-break belt scabbard of the type I saw poo-pooed in "No Second Place Winner". There are no maker's marks on the holster that I could find.

Name:  SnubbyKHolster1_Small.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  41.1 KB
    Name:  SnubbyKHolster2_Small.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  57.7 KB
    Name:  SnubbyKHolster3_Small.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  43.1 KB

Dear Mother of God.....genuine cool stuff. I would love that holster for my Pre model 10 snubby that is a twin of that. I put some prewar grips on mine to make it look even older. Sort of the quintessential 1950's cop, detective, mobster revolver.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Looks like a Berns-Martin holster, or similar. If memory serves they could not be pulled out from behind but had to be drawn front break style, sort of an early retention.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Looks like a Berns-Martin holster, or similar. If memory serves they could not be pulled out from behind but had to be drawn front break style, sort of an early retention.
    The gun did need to be tilted forward and drawn slightly to the front to get it to release, yes.

LHS,
    I hope I'm not stepping on your thread but I thought you and Nyeti would enjoy.
    I have a C series K frame that my Dad bought to use as his off duty gun just after joining the force. Model 10 mfg in 1956 based on the serial number (C 380XXX).
    Like the gun in your pics mine has no model designation on it just the C number on the butt and assembly numbers in the cylinder hinge area.
    Did the gun you saw have a letter in front of the 943XXX on the butt?
    He also gave me his S&W model 65-1 that was his duty gun from 1974 until he retired in 1981.
    As you said the actions on these are silky smooth.

Thanks for sharing those pics. Yes, very cool stuff.
    Dean
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Nice! Especially with the old B-M holster included. A while back I had to pass on a nickel plated version of that due to lack of funds, it made me sad. Not as sad as the .44 Hand Ejector I had to let get away not long ago, with a B-M holster too. Yesterday I snagged a Colt Police Positive Special as a consolation prize.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

While we are sharing.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Yesterday I snagged a Colt Police Positive Special as a consolation prize.
    Consolation prize??? Seriously??? I… never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    While we are sharing.....

Dude, that's just mean.

What a beauty…

Very nice Nyeti, very nice
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

User Tag List