Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How does one draw from AIWB?

Quote Originally Posted by Corlissimo View Post
    IIRC correctly, I remember reading a post here somewhere, sometime back about someone who was using a "pinch" type grip to draw a P2KSK from a low ride AIWB rig. There was video too. It actually seemed fairly effective, and I know that I've done similarly with the same type of setup. Possibly there's some of that happening when the gun starts moving prior to your fingers fully closing around the grip?

I get what you mean about striving for the full and proper master grip prior to drawing, and that the "edges are rounded" when looking at the vids. Either way, I have to agree with SN: You're a frickin' machine.

This is really a great thread for helping me understand some of the nuances I've been missing in analysis of my own draw. Thanks to all for the insights!
    Kind of thinking out loud here, but I think what is happening is that the act of fully closing my fingers is what's making the gun start to move in those instances (fingers pulling the gun up by the front strap slightly.) Just got to get to the root of that. Glad you are finding the discussion useful!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Mr_White, can you elaborate on how not wearing an undershirt enhances your overall draw?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Fr=uN

Basically, lower coefficient of friction, especially when sweaty and gross.
    Outrunning my headlights since '81.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Mr_White, can you elaborate on how not wearing an undershirt enhances your overall draw?
    No undershirt:

The truest answer is probably that I have never been a person to wear undershirts and that's probably not going to change.

The next biggest answer is performance and efficiency in practice. No undershirt means one less thing to accidentally grab and bunch up with the grip of the gun when drawing, and less material available to interfere with putting the gun in the holster. No undershirt means not stopping practice every four repetitions or so to tuck it back in.
    Lord of the Food Court

So I tried rooting out the 'fingers lifting' issue in dry practice last night and this morning. I think I have it figured out, but will have to verify with video when I get the chance.

Basically, I think I'm intermittently leading just a bit with my palm with my wrist cocked back very slightly and opening my fingers a little wider at the same time, which means that the fingers actually have a little curling to do to get where they need to be on the grip, and the fingers lift the gun slightly while curling. The solution, if I am right about all this, is more consistency in the gun-shape with my strong hand and more slamming it onto the grip with force. When I do it that way, which is already most of the time, it doesn't feel like there is any curling of the fingers – they arrive on the grip already how they need to be.
    Lord of the Food Court

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    No undershirt:

The truest answer is probably that I have never been a person to wear undershirts and that's probably not going to change.

The next biggest answer is performance and efficiency in practice. No undershirt means one less thing to accidentally grab and bunch up with the grip of the gun when drawing, and less material available to interfere with putting the gun in the holster. No undershirt means not stopping practice every four repetitions or so to tuck it back in.
    Mr_White, how does the bare tummy enhance your overall tactical posture? I have seen video, and with your high sweep of the cover garment, I wouldn't call your draw modest.

I think TLG probably wears something like this as an undershirt. It doesn't appear to require re-tucking every draw or two.

Mr_White, how does the bare tummy enhance your overall tactical posture? I have seen video, and with your high sweep of the cover garment, I wouldn't call your draw modest.
    I think it shows a tango that I put performance before appearance. Maybe it's like a tactical equivalent of wearing sweatpants all the time.
    Lord of the Food Court

I think TLG probably wears something like this as an undershirt. It doesn't appear to require re-tucking every draw or two.

Doesn't 5.11 make a tactical onesie?

Very interesting read Mr White, thanks for taking the time to analyze what you are doing and write it up. I do have a few questions if you don't mind.

What is your on demand (cold) draw time from concealment?

What is your average warm time?

Do you shoot any other guns besides your Glock? If so, are your times the same or different?

I may have missed this before, but are you seeing a sight picture every time, or just a rougher reference?

Thanks very much.

Overture the last month or two, I have been thinking about draw times, and various factors that make exact times very hard to compare. Considerations are do you have a grip suitable for one shot or a bunch of them, are you extending the pistol and locking up, are you stopping the gun, are you aiming, and how and when are you running the trigger. Depending upon what you are and are not doing, and disregarding a botched draw or cold versus warmed up, a draw might go from .75 to 1.20 for the same eight inch circle at 7 yards. Makes me think discussing times is very tricky.

User Tag List