Thread: Shooting off barricades.

Site Supporter

Shooting off barricades.

What do you guys find most effective when shooting pistol off barricades ?

I am trying to workout the best way to shoot off a barricade in a match, at the moment I'm relaseing my none firing hand grip rotating it forward and propping my thumb against the barricade and driving my fireing hand into it, to try and give myself the most support.

It's one area I'm struggling with at the moment. In all the matches I shoot you have to treat the barricade like cover.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

In IDPA, USPSA and 2-gun practices I never come in contact with the barricade.

I also shoot a loosely regulated, indoor PPC match that is more accuracy driven and do come into very slight contact with the barricade with the back of the support hand when shooting the right & left barricade portions. The time frame is so long that speed is not an issue. However, they are odd, swing-in-front-type devices and if I didn't steady them they'd probably flop all about.

happy shooting, Jerry
    "Draw fast, shoot well," Mike W.

Agree with dusty, even if given the option to take a knee and brace on a port I will avoid it in USPSA. For rifle I occasionally do if it's a tight/far shot, but all I do is jam my foregrip into something and grab the entire foregrip+barricade with my support hand.

When in doubt, look at what the pros are doing on video. As far as pistol I can't remember ever seeing a high end shooter let his pistol touch anything but his hands.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    Thanks guys.

I have been looking for videos on the subject, haven't been able to find anything specifically on shooting from a barricade. IE grip hand pos ect.
    Can find plenty on shooting around barricades.

The style I'm trying at the moment I got off watching videos of some PPC 1500 shooters, it kind of works for me but isn't quite right for me either.

Guess I'll just keep playing around until I find what works for me.

on some longer shots will rest the back of my hand to the barrier but no gun touching just meat

Quote Originally Posted by dbateman View Post
    What do you guys find most effective when shooting pistol off barricades ?

I am trying to workout the best way to shoot off a barricade in a match, at the moment I'm relaseing my none firing hand grip rotating it forward and propping my thumb against the barricade and driving my fireing hand into it, to try and give myself the most support.

It's one area I'm struggling with at the moment. In all the matches I shoot you have to treat the barricade like cover.
    I stopped doing this because I found that was changing my grip significantly. Most of the time, if I'm lined up correctly and it's convenient I'll put the back of my hand or wrist on the barricade. On long shots I'll put the back of my wrist on the barricade, establish that as a "pivot point" and then move my body to get proper sight alignment. *All this assumes that it's not a wobbly barricade.

Site Supporter
    I'm with you Steve just meat. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I stopped doing this because I found that was changing my grip significantly.
    Thats what I have found, it seems to work pretty good with light target loads. But stoke up your loads a bit and you start to see faults.

I'm back to trying the back of the support hand against the barricade this week, I've done a little dryfire practice on it so I'll see how that goes in a match.

Site Supporter
    When I first started qualifying with my dept we were encouraged to use the barricades for support. The barricade were only plywood on 2x4 stuck in a pipe in the ground. There was a lot of wobble. It didn't take long for me to start ignoring the barricades and just shoot as if they were actual cover by not touching them and trying to stay behind the cover. My scores improved. I was taught if your muzzle extends past cover it will draw fire from everyone down range versus if you stay back you can fight one at a time. An oversimplified excuse but still valid
    Last edited by Poconnor; 08-08-2015 at 04:08 PM.

User Tag List