Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How does one draw from AIWB?

How does one draw from AIWB?

I was wondering mainly about any variations in how members here draw from AIWB and what specific technique they use? I am particularly curious how folks here first acquire a fighting grip on the gun. I've seen different people appear to use different methods and have experimented with various methods myself. I have seen people thumbcap the back of the slide and then put their thumb behind the slide as soon as they begin to clear leather/kydex and also seen people who put their thumb behind the slide and seem to get the web of their hand deep in the tang before they begin drawing. After much trial and error, I like thumbcapping the back of the slide at first a little more but find it doesn't seem to jive so well for me when drawing something like a 1911 with a beavertail grip as opposed to a striker fired gun such as a Glock. Thanks everyone.

I grab the pistol with my right hand and pull it out of the holster, pretty much the same as with every other holster...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    I get my thumb between the grip and my body in approximately the same place it would be shooting SHO. I only flag my thumb up higher on a pistol with a thumb safety. The only time I thumbcap the slide is when holstering to block the hammer/Gadget. I want my grip to be a strong as possible before the pistol starts moving, so I've never considered putting my thumb on the back of the slide when drawing.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I grab the pistol with my right hand and pull it out of the holster, pretty much the same as with every other holster...
    ME TOO !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kobudo View Post
    I was wondering mainly about any variations in how members here draw from AIWB and what specific technique they use? I am particularly curious how folks here first acquire a fighting grip on the gun. I've seen different people appear to use different methods and have experimented with various methods myself. I have seen people thumbcap the back of the slide and then put their thumb behind the slide as soon as they begin to clear leather/kydex and also seen people who put their thumb behind the slide and seem to get the web of their hand deep in the tang before they begin drawing. After much trial and error, I like thumbcapping the back of the slide at first a little more but find it doesn't seem to jive so well for me when drawing something like a 1911 with a beavertail grip as opposed to a striker fired gun such as a Glock. Thanks everyone.
    FAST!
    clear cover, master grip, aim/point, shoot. Repeat.

Site Supporter
    Not really much of a thumbcapper guy. I have to flick off the thumb safety though, so maybe that's why? I recommend getting the grip established before you even clear leather (or kydex) because you could run the risk of throwing the gun otherwise. One of my first points of contact is my middle finger on the trigger guard...if that helps?

... find it doesn't seem to jive so well for me when drawing something like a 1911 with a beavertail grip as opposed to a striker fired gun such as a Glock.
    There is no rule to draw different guns all in the same way. When grip my HKs, I try to get so high that my web is not under the tang, it is on the tang. Naturally, that requires some amount of thumbcapping on the initial contact, aiwb or strong side, but then I try to slide it to the side for the same reason that Josh has mentioned. With Beretta and 1911 I just get a grip, and draw.

From a gun retention standpoint, it is a really good idea to complete your strong hand grip before the gun leaves the holster.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

We are diminished
    While basically repeating what many have said:

1A) If two hands are available, my support hand grabs the cover garment just about where the gun is and pulls straight up very high. I don't want to clear the gun by a small margin, I want to clear it by a very high margin. Some people have also pointed out that this can put your support elbow closer to a place to protect your face and/or strike.

1B) If only my strong hand is available, I grab my cover garment almost as if the gun was in a cross-draw location, lift the garment, and then pull my strong hand across my stomach before driving down onto the gun. In my experience (and with all credit going to Vinh for the idea) this significantly reduces the odds of getting the shirt tangled in the grip/draw. At least for me, it made the difference for getting consistent sub-1.5 concealed aiwb draws (at Rogers).

2) My strong hand drives down onto the gun (some people start from a bit farther toward the butt end of the gun and come both down and in).

3) I establish a true full grip on the pistol before leaving the holster. There are many people who say this and teach it but when you watch them in video they are still doing some degree of a snatch draw (pulling the gun out of the holster with their fingers before the rest of the hand is truly locked around the gun). For me, a full grip means that I don't have to change my position as the gun starts to move out of the holster. The only thing that moves is my thumb if I have a manually safety to disengage. With any other gun, you could take a photo of my grip in the holster and a photo of my grip as I'm about to shoot and the strong hand position would be identical. Identical.

4A) If two hands are available, I bring the gun up to meet the support hand, rotating it to a muzzle-forward (or muzzle-up, depending on technique) position as it goes. Support hand contacts the gun and forms my complete grip before I start moving the gun forward.

4B) If only my strong hand is available, I rotate the gun up the same way but obviously do not wait for the support hand to mate up to the strong hand.

Two key points for me which are based on my priorities and may not apply to others: first, I have the best possible complete grip I can get with my strong hand before drawing the gun so it is as secure and protected as it can be before it leaves the protection of my holster; second, I have the best possible complete grip I can get with my support hand before extending the gun forward so it is as secure and protected as it can before before leaving the protection of my close in/ready position.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    While basically repeating what many have said:

1A) If two hands are available, my support hand grabs the cover garment just about where the gun is and pulls straight up very high. I don't want to clear the gun by a small margin, I want to clear it by a very high margin. Some people have also pointed out that this can put your support elbow closer to a place to protect your face and/or strike.

1B) If only my strong hand is available, I grab my cover garment almost as if the gun was in a cross-draw location, lift the garment, and then pull my strong hand across my stomach before driving down onto the gun. In my experience (and with all credit going to Vinh for the idea) this significantly reduces the odds of getting the shirt tangled in the grip/draw. At least for me, it made the difference for getting consistent sub-1.5 concealed aiwb draws (at Rogers).

2) My strong hand drives down onto the gun (some people start from a bit farther toward the butt end of the gun and come both down and in).

3) I establish a true full grip on the pistol before leaving the holster. There are many people who say this and teach it but when you watch them in video they are still doing some degree of a snatch draw (pulling the gun out of the holster with their fingers before the rest of the hand is truly locked around the gun). For me, a full grip means that I don't have to change my position as the gun starts to move out of the holster. The only thing that moves is my thumb if I have a manually safety to disengage. With any other gun, you could take a photo of my grip in the holster and a photo of my grip as I'm about to shoot and the strong hand position would be identical. Identical.

4A) If two hands are available, I bring the gun up to meet the support hand, rotating it to a muzzle-forward (or muzzle-up, depending on technique) position as it goes. Support hand contacts the gun and forms my complete grip before I start moving the gun forward.

4B) If only my strong hand is available, I rotate the gun up the same way but obviously do not wait for the support hand to mate up to the strong hand.

Two key points for me which are based on my priorities and may not apply to others: first, I have the best possible complete grip I can get with my strong hand before drawing the gun so it is as secure and protected as it can be before it leaves the protection of my holster; second, I have the best possible complete grip I can get with my support hand before extending the gun forward so it is as secure and protected as it can before before leaving the protection of my close in/ready position.
    'nuff said.

User Tag List