Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: General Purpose 12 GA Semi Auto Shotgun

General Purpose 12 GA Semi Auto Shotgun

I'm in the market for a quality semi auto Shotgun capable of handling 3" shells. I've looked at the offerings from Benelli, Browning, Beretta, & Franchi & frankly cannot decide. Each has features I like, but that one gun that has it all has eluded me. This will be used for birds, turkey, & skeet. Any recommendations? Remington & Mossberg need not apply.

Site Supporter
    Look at the new Stoeger 3000 (not the 2000).

I'm sure they're fine, but I just don't trust guns made in Turkey....surely you understand.

There's a reason that Beretta dominates the semi-auto-shooting crowd in sporting clays. I think Benelli brings up a distant second place.

If I could only have one of my shotguns, for the purposes you state, it would be my 3901. Works on birds, living & otherwise, and its 26.5" barrel is short enough for turkey blinds and, in a pinch, home defense.

Beretta gas guns have a well-deserved reputation for running basically forever with little or no cleaning. I'm not familiar with the new series, but I am quite familiar with the recently-replaced 300/391 series gas guns, and they are amazing; their chief drawback being no room to extend magazine capacity because of the way the gas piston is set up.

Definitely Beretta for what you describe.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I really like the A400. It's been a toss up between that and a Benelli M2 or Montefeltro. Also considering a 24" 1300 Comp. The loss of extra barrel length really isn't an issue except for the loss of sight radius given the burn rate of modern powders.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    I really like the A400. It's been a toss up between that and a Benelli M2 or Montefeltro. Also considering a 24" 1300 Comp. The loss of extra barrel length really isn't an issue except for the loss of sight radius given the burn rate of modern powders.
    I've shot sporting clays a couple times with my 21" 1300 Comp. I'd grab a A400 in a heartbeat if I wanted a more purposeful dedicated "sporting" gun.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I'm not a huge shotgun guy, so to save money and space in my safe, I picked up a Beretta AL391 with 28" barrel as my one "sporting" shotgun. I use it to shoot trap, skeet, and sporting clays. I am learning how to bird hunt in the near future as well so I will be using it for that too.

Very reliable, lightweight, and shootable. I talked to a lot of more experienced people and they all recommended it as a versatile sporting gun.

You can't go wrong with either the Browning, Beretta or Benelli. I like the 24" barrel length in a semiauto for hunting. My go to shotgun for years has been a 24" Benelli SBE (ducks, geese, turkeys and a lot of deer). Its a workhorse and also very close in length to my 26" barreled Citori.

My 24" 1301 is quite nice--in addition to what you listed, if you have any interest in 3-gun, the 1301 24" would be the way to go. Otherwise, the A400 is also quite nice.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List