Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone going to the NRA Annual Meeting?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    It bothers me quite a bit to hear they chose a venue that's posted for "no guns"
    I saw that addressed... somewhere... several years ago, LaPierre or someone from NRA was responding to this concern, and to related ones about moving the meeting around, by explaining that the policy was to move the annual meeting to give members nationwide the max opportunity to attend. Unfortunately, CCW-friendly venues suitable for the annual meeting are uncommon.

I note that the NRA is reported to have signed an agreement to take the AM back to Indianapolis twice in the next 10 years.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

That convention is big enough, and has enough local economic impact, that I'm pretty sure the NRA could have negotiated a change, if they cared to.

I've been a life member for a LONG time, but sometimes the NRA still disappoints me badly.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    That convention is big enough, and has enough local economic impact, that I'm pretty sure the NRA could have negotiated a change, if they cared to.

I've been a life member for a LONG time, but sometimes the NRA still disappoints me badly.
    I'm not involved in AM planning, but I don't think it is as simple as negotiating a change. If not prohibiting firearms would require a change to the venue's insurance policy, this isn't something that would be that easy to negotiate.

The best bet for being able to carry firearms at venues large enough to host the AM is passing strong firearms preemption, which would at least cover venues that are owned/operated by political subdivisions.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post

The best bet for being able to carry firearms at venues large enough to host the AM is passing strong firearms preemption, which would at least cover venues that are owned/operated by political subdivisions.
    I was thinking Washington State (Spokane or Washington State Convention Center) would fit in to this quite well, but then I figured, shoot, the place would probably be overrun with open carriers... probably cause more damage.

The CLE course sounds interesting.

Been to the museum.......twice. One to tour, once to help Josh out of his Garand. Been the NRA range once. Yup.....that is the extent of my involvement with the NRA. Well, other than being a whatever the highest level life member I can be........

The museum is the one thing I have found that is NOT a disappointment. I'm going to stop while I am ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I'm not involved in AM planning, but I don't think it is as simple as negotiating a change. If not prohibiting firearms would require a change to the venue's insurance policy, this isn't something that would be that easy to negotiate.

I totally get it, it's still stupid and it sucks.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    I was thinking Washington State (Spokane or Washington State Convention Center) would fit in to this quite well, but then I figured, shoot, the place would probably be overrun with open carriers... probably cause more damage.
    I was in Korea when the NRAAM was in Seattle, Divisional excessive, couldn't get my mid-tour in time. Then the crud I picked up from the dust in the training area turned to pneumonia.

Anyway, even in carry-friendly locales exhibition centers are often no-carry. Which, as Chuck observes, sucks.
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I was in Korea when the NRAAM was in Seattle, Divisional excessive, couldn't get my mid-tour in time. Then the crud I picked up from the dust in the training area turned to pneumonia.

Anyway, even in carry-friendly locales exhibition centers are often no-carry. Which, as Chuck observes, sucks.
    I was just trying to point out that the Washington statutes have pretty good preemption language. For now. I hope.
    Good model for other states maybe:
    RCW 9.41.300
    (2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:
    (a) Restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that humans, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized. Such laws and ordinances shall not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by Article I, section 24 of the state Constitution to bear arms in defense of self or others; and
    (b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:
    (i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060; or
    (ii) Any showing, demonstration, or lecture involving the exhibition of firearms.

It bothers me quite a bit to hear they chose a venue that's posted for "no guns"
    They just posted the following message to Facebook:
    Wondering whether you can carry at this year's Annual Meeting in Nashville? Lawfully carried firearms will be permitted in the Music City Center with the proper license in accordance with Tennessee law. Remember to follow all federal, state, and local laws when doing so.

Unfortunately, if you're planning to see Alan Jackson and Jeff Foxworthy on Saturday night, Bridgestone Arena prohibits the possession of firearms.
    The following blurb appears on the 2015 NRA Annual Meeting & Exhibits web page:
    During the 2015 NRA Annual Meeting & Exhibits, lawfully carried firearms will be permitted in the Music City Center with the proper license in accordance with Tennessee law. Bridgestone Arena prohibits the possession of firearms. When carrying your firearm, remember to follow all federal, state and local laws.
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List