Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newest arrival: NY-1 massaged by Sand Burr's Denny Reichard

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    This is the medicine for a fixed-sight revolver that doesn't shoot to POA. It's not a pretty thing to witness, but it works just fine. :^)

Please excuse my ignorance, but how are the items used to change POA

Thanks
    Hope and change again? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    This is the medicine for a fixed-sight revolver that doesn't shoot to POA. It's not a pretty thing to witness, but it works just fine. :^)

Please excuse my ignorance, but how are these used to change POI?

Thanks

Site Supporter
    Babbit bars. http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/mi...0722010pdf.pdf

If I recall correctly they are made of lead and can be used for adjusting windage on Smith & Wesson fixed sight revolvers and I believe for knocking loose tightly fitted side plates during disassembly. Hopefully, one of the LSP's will chime in with a more detailed answer.

You use them to repeatedly strike the barrel with enough force to bend it in the right direction.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    A long time ago I was the counterman/service writer at Cheshire & Perez in Monrovia, CA. They were a S&W distributor and warranty service center. We would not allow the customer to watch the gunsmiths "do their thing" . I think it was to prevent heart attacks and screaming fits.
    Yes. When I went through the S&W revolver armorers course I brought a 36 for them to look at that I was having some trouble with. the cylinder was a little out of whack. The instructor turns around, digs in a box, then turns back around and started beating on my gun with the babbit. I wasn't sure if I should scream, hit him, or just pass out. Fortunately I just froze. Gun worked quite well after that!
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Thanks for the education.

I think I would have passed out.

^^^Law, sausage, and now add "revolver smithing" to the list.

Site Supporter
    That's why if you were going to "adjust" a gun, you had the student/owner go away while the treatment was delivered.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

This is about as necro-posting as I have ever done in 20+ years of Internet presence, but I have watched a good armorer (then Sr Deputy George Knox, San Francisco Sheriff's Department, circa 1988) adjust a fixed-sight pinned barrel S & W that needed windage work.
    He had a sick grin on the whole time, and asked me to not speak of what I'd seen. Now that he's likely long-retired, I can open my yap.

Good Lord, but I would enjoy and properly employ a 3" barreled round butt model 64 NY-1.

RIP, Denny.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 01-04-2020 at 11:53 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Well, if you’re going to reanimate a thread this far dead, at least you picked one with killer wheelie pics.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List