Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newest arrival: NY-1 massaged by Sand Burr's Denny Reichard

Newest arrival: NY-1 massaged by Sand Burr's Denny Reichard

Name:  NY-1Denny_zpsaf240633.jpg
Views: 1164
Size:  42.1 KB

I am a bit of a fan of old-school NYPD cool: I've owned GPNYs and an SPNY, as well as such approved items as 642s and 3953s, natch. But my heart still belongs to the NY-1: S&W's answer to the NYPDs requests for medium framed, DAO service revolvers in .38 spec, and wearing bead blast finishes before they were cool. I had one of these in college (my only handgun at the time; I used it to take "top shot in class" honors at LFI-1 in the mid 90s), but sold it in a moment of weakness.

I therefore jumped at a chance to grab this one when it came up on GB; not only is it roughly the same era 4" 64 NY-1 as my old one, but this one has a rarer round butt, and more importantly, a duty action tune by Sand Burr's Denny Reichard. I couldn't be happier with the trigger, as this one is right up with the best I've had on an S&W--including my old Cylinder and Slide model 10. This thing is so glassy that I have to close my eyes and really concentrate to feel each aspect of the reset until the final two clicks at full forward return; as well, there is zero overtravel and a paucity of stacking feel.

In addition to the internal work, Denny chamfered each cylinder chamber with an *incredibly* subtle break; you can't really see it, but you can feel it in comparison to any stock K-frame (of which I have a few to compare) and it's all you need to keep those 158gr LSWCHPs from hanging up on the way in while speedloading on the clock, with nothing removed that you don't need gone. Perfect. As well, he countoured and polished the trigger in the way that only someone who is both a solid craftsman and a experienced trigger puller can do:

Name:  DennyTrigger_zps8b6b8928.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  26.5 KB

I'm digging it. Shoots well, too.

Site Supporter
    Hate meter officially pegged.

Beautiful wheelgun

Awesome stuff. Wayne and I have our 4" NY-1 "HiTS Home Defense Revolvers" being worked up at Heirloom Precision right now, and seeing this doesn't help the wait. A lot of good work can be done with these guns, and we intend to prove that.

Like button hit.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

^^^Just remember: lots of pics make kids happy. That's a project worth sharing.

What grips are those Sidheshooter? Been looking for rubber non-finger grooved open backstrap grips and have some pachmayr compac professionals but they're almost a bit too small.

Love model 10s/64s, shoot them more consistently than anything, easy on my surgically repaired wrist, and wife is comfortable with using it. Just wish it had better sights!
    Last edited by HRL; 01-31-2015 at 01:22 PM.

Not Sideshooter, but those are PGS grips. Great concealment grips.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Sexy Smith you have there!

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Awesome stuff. Wayne and I have our 4" NY-1 "HiTS Home Defense Revolvers" being worked up at Heirloom Precision right now, and seeing this doesn't help the wait. A lot of good work can be done with these guns, and we intend to prove that.

Like button hit.
    That many Glock shooters crying out with butthurt all at once could fracture the space time continuum.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

One of my favorite, if not the favorite, revolvers is a 3" RB Mdl 64 NY-surplus/trade-in. I liked it so much I converted my 4" Mdl 65 to be a very close match, differing only in caliber and barrel length. Truly outstanding guns and it sounds like your is a great example of the breed.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    A lot of good work can be done with these guns, and we intend to prove that.
    There is an entire generation of shooters who don't have a clue what can be done by an experienced DA revolver shooter.

And to the OP, very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    There is an entire generation of shooters who don't have a clue what can be done by an experienced DA revolver shooter.

And to the OP, very nice!
    Since I started showing up at matches with my 686, I am seeing that. I think it has also been educational for everybody. The scary thing is that many of the very good shooters with polymer semi-autos would likely find that they would be even better if they spent some time running a wheel gun. You simply HAVE to be very accountable on your shots and you have to learn to press a trigger. The biggest thing for me is working through the long stacking trigger press and the control needed with it. It helps my service pistol shooting skills a lot in my mind.

User Tag List