Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: HK P30SK

11B10, I have detailed stripped P30 LEM's and it's not to complex after doing it twice. Trigger spring was the hardest part, but using a cut down coffee stir stick (thin red type) to hold on too, doable. Yes other brands have less parts inside and the exploded diagram on HK looks over engineered it's not really a big deal. Lots of tutorials on the Web to help you out. My P30/P30sk complement the VP9 nicely and have replaced everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Rich, I don't know if you're experienced with other brands, but I do know you've got significant time with H&K. I'm going to be going from .45 to 9mm pretty soon because of arthritis in my hands affecting my "secondary" shots. I'm still pretty sharp on the first one, it's those follow-ups that are drifting. I've been making everyone's life miserable, both here and other places, trying to get someone else to make my decision for me, I guess. Here's the only real hurdle to keep me away from H&K: Their internal complexity. I've much experience with Glocks, which are very simple, especially inside. I'm currently carrying a Sig P320, which has a bit more "engineering" than I'd like inside, kinda like the H&K. When I bought the SIG, I didn't anticipate my arthritis advancing this rapidly, forcing the caliber change. The Sig has been absolutely flawless, but every time I clean it, there's that FCU, with all those reeeaal small springs and stuff. There ain't no way I'm ever breaking that down. The biggest issue is that because of my recent retirement/fixed income, I've no wiggle room, no room for error. This will be THE gun, probably for many years. Right now, I'm leaning very hard to the Glock, it's where I'm most comfortable and where almost all my experience lies. Still, the feel of that P30SK in my hand and the knowledge of how very good they are.....
    I guess a question I would have is what difference does internal complexity matter if the gun is so reliable that you never have to detail strip it. For cleaning, an HK breaks down into the same four parts as a Glock. I have two HKs, a HK45C and a P30L. They both are approaching 6,000 rounds without a single malfunction. I've heard the first point of failure on an HK is the trigger return spring at about 7,500 rounds. Even if true, are you really going to put 7,500 rounds through the gun? If so, you can probably pay someone to replace that one spring.

About five years ago I went looking for my first new gun that I hadn't purchased in the early '70s, I wanted a trouble free gun, because I'm not very mechanical. My research on gun forums indicated that the one brand that nobody ever complained about quality control issues or mechanical issues was H&K. My two have been flawless. Besides they come with a warranty in the event you get one that isn't up to snuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    I guess a question I would have is what difference does internal complexity matter if the gun is so reliable that you never have to detail strip it. For cleaning, an HK breaks down into the same four parts as a Glock. I have two HKs, a HK45C and a P30L. They both are approaching 6,000 rounds without a single malfunction. I've heard the first point of failure on an HK is the trigger return spring at about 7,500 rounds. Even if true, are you really going to put 7,500 rounds through the gun? If so, you can probably pay someone to replace that one spring.

About five years ago I went looking for my first new gun that I hadn't purchased in the early '70s, I wanted a trouble free gun, because I'm not very mechanical. My research on gun forums indicated that the one brand that nobody ever complained about quality control issues or mechanical issues was H&K. My two have been flawless. Besides they come with a warranty in the event you get one that isn't up to snuff.
    Replacing the TRS is not one of the complicated parts of the internals. However, for some, it can be difficult without a tool--but just because the spring is a bitch, not due to complexity.

Site Supporter
    58, Tom - I want you to know that your posts are exactly what I've been looking for - thanks to both of you, as well as Rich_Jenkins. As I said previously, I intend to shoot both pistols again and unless something manifests itself that I've never dreamed of, let alone seen, I'm making the move! I continue to be a very satisfied reader/lurker of pf!
    Last edited by 11B10; 01-15-2017 at 11:22 PM.

So on my local board there are reports from dealers saying they've been told H&K is discounting the P30sk. Yes, it's third hand internet RUMINT so take it's for what it's worth. I'm asking all of the learned and connected people here....yes or no?

Thanks
    Doug

Sweet if that is true

Well, I just got my P30SK back after having Trijicon HD's installed. Love the sight picture.....and the gun is now totally unusable for AIWB due to the Trijicon razor blade at the rear of the sight. WTF is Trijicon thinking. The ones on my P2000SK are a bit more bareble because that don't overhang the rear......the ones for the P30SK and similar cut hang over the back and are terrible for concealed carry on clothes or skin or both depending on where and how you carry.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

A ha!!! Hate for you to hear it, GOOD for me to know because I was about to find out myself. So, back to Plan A or Plan B...

Looks like Plan B (going with the P30SK and the plain BIG round sights) is going to be the smartest way, all things considered. I can work with that longer reset just fine... just would PREFER the shorter set-up. Gonna start looking/trying tomorrow. Got an old bud with the P30SK, may have difficulty finding a P2000SK.

Hope you work things out...

I've got Heine sights on several of my HKs. Much prefer them to the HD's which I've had a hell of time getting to shoot POA/POI on Sigs and Glocks.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Site Supporter
    The P30SK is my only carry pistol. I use 10-8 Performance's .140 rear with their .115 F/O front on all my SK's. Did that because they were out of .156's so went with narrow front to compensate for narrow rear. Just tried Vickers/Wilson new arrivals. Paired their rear with the Gold Bead front. The sights are quick. The wide gold bead is easier to focus on then the narrow F/O. I use 147gr HST. POI seems low from 3-25 yards. I like of driving the dot, this might push the envelope. Will test more outdoors when rain stops in Austin.

If all else fails, I am going to get a paintball gun and another GSD. I'll teach him to put a hit on any one with green splats.

User Tag List