Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Front Sight Fell Off My LTT 92

Site Supporter

The Front Sight Fell Off My LTT 92

Short back story, which is somewhat pertinent. Bought an RDO slide from LTT going on two years ago, everything ran great until about November, when I thought perhaps that the front sight was wondering in the dovetail. Other than being annoying because the backup sights weren't lined anywhere close to the dot. Fast forward a few weeks, and my 507c took a massive shit and I sent it back to Holosun. In its absence, I sent my slide back to LTT, and when it came back in January, installed my new dot and off we went. Until today. Noticed the front sight not centered at all, and pulled it by hand out of the gun.

Frankly, I'd be half tempted to just go without it, but having had an optic fail, I don't think that's a great option, either. Just not real excited about having to send the slide off, again, for another month or more.

If you can slide it with your fingers, then either the front sight's dovetail base or the slide's milled dovetail is out of specification. I would bet on the latter with what I've seen from Beretta recently.

Some easy options:

Use a spring loaded center punch and strategically use it on underside of the front sight's base. I typically just put a row of punches near the front and/or rear edges of the dovetail to expand it slightly. This usually restores the press fit interface fine. It also modifies the cheaper part rather than the slide.

or

Put a drop of Permatex 64000 or similar Loctite product in the dovetail when you drift the sight back in. It holds it in place without being impossible for me to remove later.

Site Supporter
    Sights break - I've broken more irons than I have optics over the past couple decades.

That said, contacting the manufacturer and working with them, and communicating expectations both ways, will probably yield far better results than this.

Freedom fries is on the right track. A little peening of the site base will solve the problem.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Freedom fries is on the right track. A little peening of the site base will solve the problem.
    Since this is the technical side, I’ll leave that alone and only giggle to myself.

It took me two springloaded center punches to find one with enough oomph to do this - don’t cheap out with a Harbor Freight version. Once I got a decent one, it was a quick fix.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFries View Post
    If you can slide it with your fingers, then either the front sight's dovetail base or the slide's milled dovetail is out of specification. I would bet on the latter with what I've seen from Beretta recently.

Some easy options:

Use a spring loaded center punch and strategically use it on underside of the front sight's base. I typically just put a row of punches near the front and/or rear edges of the dovetail to expand it slightly. This usually restores the press fit interface fine. It also modifies the cheaper part rather than the slide.

or

Put a drop of Permatex 64000 or similar Loctite product in the dovetail when you drift the sight back in. It holds it in place without being impossible for me to remove later.
    What FreedomFries said. Maybe I’d consider and instead of or maybe.

Site Supporter
    A replacement from Beretta might fit perfectly. My money says they will send you one free. I might have dreamed this but think peening to stretch mimmed parts is not as easy as doing this with non mimmed. Roughening up the bottom surface and applying Loctite will do the trick.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Sights break - I've broken more irons than I have optics over the past couple decades.

That said, contacting the manufacturer and working with them, and communicating expectations both ways, will probably yield far better results than this.
    I only came here because this is the second time I've had failing of the sight in this slide, and the first time it was fairly convenient since the optic was already off the gun. I'm not griping at all about Langdon Tactical, they're great folks, I just don't want to really be without my top end for another month.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    A replacement from Beretta might fit perfectly. My money says they will send you one free. I might have dreamed this but think peening to stretch mimmed parts is not as easy as doing this with non mimmed. Roughening up the bottom surface and applying Loctite will do the trick.
    I freely admit to being an LTT fanboy, but that's one thing I'm not sure of. Is the suppressor height sight a Beretta item, or one LTT has sourced? I know that's easy enough to determine by calling or emailing them, just thinking out loud at the moment.

There was a lot of discussion in one of the LTT 92 threads about the front sights, but they may be coming from a different course by now. I’m pretty sure they aren’t MIM on mine, but I might be wrong.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Green loctite is great for this. You install the sight and then drop the green and it wicks to where it needs to go. For small applications like this I sometimes put a little on a toothpick and use that to take it to the sight. I have found that a drop out of the usual container may be 2-3 times how much you really need.

User Tag List