Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HK P30SK

For some of us, the problem with the P2000SK is that the "finger groove" hump is in EXACTLY the wrong place and precludes a proper grip. That's why I don't own one, and have been interested in the P30SK

Regarding size, I have absolutely no trouble concealing the full-size P2000, as I'm retired and can "dress around" it with ease. DB confirmed what I suspected... the P2000SK (and most likely the P30SK) are to their larger brethren as the G26 is to the G19; definitely smaller and a bit easier to hide, but offers no significant weight reduction- which is what I'm looking for.

The longer butt of the P30 tends to print a bit under my chosen outer garment; a holster change MIGHT alleviate this, but since my EDC is the HK45C and it doesn't print, and the whole family of those pistols (P2000, P30, HK45C) fit perfectly in my chosen holster, I have no plans to change that puppy.

Consequently, my ardor for a P30SK has cooled somewhat. But my point here is that there is indeed a "need" for the P30SK, albeit for a limited group of folks.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    For some of us, the problem with the P2000SK is that the "finger groove" hump is in EXACTLY the wrong place and precludes a proper grip. That's why I don't own one, and have been interested in the P30SK

Regarding size, I have absolutely no trouble concealing the full-size P2000, as I'm retired and can "dress around" it with ease. DB confirmed what I suspected... the P2000SK (and most likely the P30SK) are to their larger brethren as the G26 is to the G19; definitely smaller and a bit easier to hide, but offers no significant weight reduction- which is what I'm looking for.

The longer butt of the P30 tends to print a bit under my chosen outer garment; a holster change MIGHT alleviate this, but since my EDC is the HK45C and it doesn't print, and the whole family of those pistols (P2000, P30, HK45C) fit perfectly in my chosen holster, I have no plans to change that puppy.

Consequently, my ardor for a P30SK has cooled somewhat. But my point here is that there is indeed a "need" for the P30SK, albeit for a limited group of folks.

I can get behind that. It makes sense.
    Out of curiosity, are you referring to the pinky extension on the magazine or the raised portion on the front strap?

ETA: Wouldn't removing the bump, or reducing it, provide the needed relief?
    Last edited by Corlissimo; 02-02-2015 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Inattention to detail. :)
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Taken with a grain (or 10) of salt, but I saw a thread over on HKPro about an apparent downtrend of P2000sk pricing. That COULD seem to support the idea they are trying to move inventory before a new, overlapping model comes out.
    Several of their lines have come down in price over the last month, not just the P2000Sk. Now is the time for me to get that P2000 V2 I've always wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Several of their lines have come down in price over the last month, not just the P2000Sk. Now is the time for me to get that P2000 V2 I've always wanted.
    I am patiently waiting several outlets to show stock status, and I will ad an Sk LEM. Just because.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Corlissimo View Post
    Out of curiosity, are you referring to the pinky extension on the magazine or the raised portion on the front strap?
    The raised portion on the front strap. Yes, I could grind it off, and had that as a Plan B if the P30SK failed to materialize. But after talking with DB, I realized that the sub-compact HK really wasn't what I am looking for. So I "suffer" the weight of the larger versions.

I am with the those that see no reason to have a P30SK and feel it is probably better for HK to spend some resources on the VP platform.

If I have to go smaller than a P2000 or P30 then I go with a Kahr P9 as thickness becomes more of an issue than grip or slide length.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I am with the those that see no reason to have a P30SK and feel it is probably better for HK to spend some resources on the VP platform.

If I have to go smaller than a P2000 or P30 then I go with a Kahr P9 as thickness becomes more of an issue than grip or slide length.
    How would a P2000 with a flat mag baseplate compare in height to a G19?

Jay - slightly shorter overall, and precisely how I set my P2000 up for carry when I moved away from my G19s several years back.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Jay - slightly shorter overall, and precisely how I set my P2000 up for carry when I moved away from my G19s several years back.
    I need to go handle one. Sounds like what I'm looking for.

Jay, the mag floorplate on G19s are slightly angled; the front is a bit lower than the back. The P2000's flat baseplate is parallel to the bore line. If the two stock pistols are placed upside-down on their sights on a flat surface, the P2000 is perhaps 1/8 inch "taller". The P2000 grip frame is over a quarter-inch "longer", but the Glock's magazine sticks out quite a bit from the bottom of its grip frame, and IMO its a wash.

The P2000 is perceptibly thicker than a G19; but just barely so. IOW, the slightly larger dimensions and ounce or two greater loaded weight of the P2000 simply do not make any difference when you're carrying. I have carried both, in the same type of kydex IWB holster, enough to verify this to my satisfaction.

I would, however, strongly suggest you explore the LEM option (V1 or V2). The V3 TDA trigger is pure conventionality; the decocker button on the rear face of the slide is just plain bizarre, as far as I'm concerned. And the HK mag release… well, you either love it or hate it. I love it, because finally I can eject a magazine without flipping the gun/shifting my grip. The P2000 does, however, benefit greatly from the elongated HK45C mag release. That is a drop-in part, takes all of 90 seconds to change out.

I would opine that the greatest drawback to the P2000 is a dearth of aftermarket sights. They exist, but of course not nearly in the variety you can find for a Glock. As for the issue HK trits; think Trijicons on a Sig. Decent and quite usable for those with good vision. My old man eyes struggle with those… the HUGE dots on the HK45/P30 sights were a true Godsend.

Anyway… if you are a Glock guy, tread carefully here. Exposure to HK can get expensive… but worth it.

User Tag List