Thread: AAR - How To Practice - Dec. 19, 2010

AAR - How To Practice - Dec. 19, 2010

(First Posted: 12-20-2010, 10:10 AM)

"How To Practice"
    Pistol-Training.com Monthly Practice Session
    Instructor: Todd Green
    December 19th 2010
    NRA Range - Fairfax, VA

First off, I had a great time, and would like to thank ToddG for putting this all together and sharing his valuable insights.

This practice session was about how to make the most out of a practice session. Whether you were just starting out, or trying to shave that 0.2 off your draw time, Todd explained a solid method to improve your shooting.

Here's a couple of the notes I jotted down that I found helpful:

It's important to practice regularly, this allows you to track your performance overtime. That performance tracking can help you identify your weaknesses & strengths.

It's important to have a log book of your training. For each session record the following:
    Date
    Other People Present
    Weather / Indoor
    Total Rounds Fired

Pick a drill to do "cold" and record the (hits / time / etc.) and record the results consistently for months, so you can track your progress. Todd suggested a speed drill, "when speed matters, there is no warm-up."

For the other drills you do, record your average scores and your best. Always push yourself to always do your best. Also record what you were happy with, and what you can improve on for each drill.

Set both short term and long term goals. Make them quantifiable.

Have a plan before you go to practice, but if you identify something mid-session that needs improvement -now- it's okay to change the plan.

You can use your performance tracking to help create goals.

Switch between different drills after a while, accuracy, draw, marksmanship, reloads, during your practice session to help stay focused so you don't go into "Auto-Pilot" and just toss lead down range.

That was a covering of the top level information. Todd went over a lot of other great points and details, which made the session great for novices and experts alike. Good times!

Thanks for posting this. It's one thing to go to the range and shoot. It's another to "practice."

I have played sports all my life, also at the collegiate level (Lacrosse). Practice is so important. While running around and shooting the lax ball is great, it is still not structured practice. Structured practice is the necessary component if one wants to raise their game to the next level. Taking a shot in a game is incredibly more challenging than shooting on an empty net. Both are important. But very, very different.

Now my "sport" and what I rely on for work is shooting. What I lack though, is a solid practice schedule. I do not have a coach that creates plans for the team when it comes to my shooting. Its all on me. And I'll be the first to say that I DO NOT know it all.

I wish there were more "SME's" who would post some "practice" layouts and structured drills that are broken down into categories. Structured practices for accuracy, structured practices for speed, etc. So far, the only SME I know who posts drills regularly is ToddG, and I am very thankful for it. Hopefully, now that he has this forum open there will be more posts geared towards self improvement.

The SME's wouldnt be SME's without strict, well planned, well executed training sessions, and a hell of a work ethic. Hopefully some of them will be able to share some thoughts and maybe even training plans so that the information can trickle down to others who are willing to put in the necessary time and effort to better themselves.

-BPP

Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    (First Posted: 12-20-2010, 10:10 AM)

It's important to have a log book of your training. For each session record the following:
    Date
    Other People Present
    Weather / Indoor
    Total Rounds Fired
    Does anybody have a range log that they recommend or do you just use a notepad? I know some of you have a program on your computer but I would rather have a physical book of some sort. It seems all that I can find are long range logs and I'm not sure they would work.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Does anybody have a range log that they recommend or do you just use a notepad? I know some of you have a program on your computer but I would rather have a physical book of some sort. It seems all that I can find are long range logs and I'm not sure they would work.
    I use a little spiral memo pad that fits in my back pocket. I'm don't record things as well as I should, but it at least gives me something to go off of.

User Tag List