Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anything I can do to not suck at stage planning?

Site Supporter

Anything I can do to not suck at stage planning?

So, the main problem I have with shooting is the fact that I'm really bad at stage planning. I have been on and off shooting USPSA (I've only shot about six or seven matches) and I'm a solid mid B class shooter according to the classifiers, but my execution of an actual stage that requires actually planning is fairly tragic to watch. My last match I picked up a procedural for not shooting a target, I would skip over a target or two and then come back to get it again..in general just not thinking while shooting. I think it's probably just nerves or jittiriness. Any hints for how to plan/execute a stage without hiccups?

I got NOTHIN'!!!!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Haha yeah, I kinda figured the advice will most likely be "suck less, shoot better and calm down"

I decided not to try to get too hyped up about going fast. I found I shot better and generally quicker by not trying to so much.

I wish I knew the answer. I'm always running by targets.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Haha yeah, I kinda figured the advice will most likely be "suck less, shoot better and calm down"
    I guarantee my stage plan . . . errr execution is worse. Every reload is a surprise slide lock reload. Good training but . . . just sayin.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    I wish I knew the answer. I'm always running by targets.
    I do that too. Plus the reload thing.

And through my eyes in real time I think I'm flying and then I see the vid.

"And there's Uncle Joe he's a movin kinda slow . . . "

As a novice, I try to watch the better guys in my squad. Not necessarily to copy them but to see what they do and kinda of reverse engineer why they might have chosen that route over another. I'm not really competive due to my infrequent chances to compete but I find most guys are willing to give you some insight and pointers at local matches.

We are diminished
    Most competitors are usually pretty happy (some might say proud) to help new shooters in the sport. My advice is to watch one of the better guys before it's your turn and then simply ask why he did it the way he did.

User Tag List