Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Basic Carbine Training - D/FW Area

Green Eyes Tactical is running a 1 day "Zeroing and Fundamentals Clinic" this weekend at CCC in Cresson. I happened to see them listed on M4C, but don't know anything about them.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Necro-post / bump. I super need to learn how to use one of these things prior to March 2018. Tiger Valley has a course in February, but anything closer/sooner would be amazeballs.

If you're in the area and wouldn't mind spending an afternoon with a clueless newbie, give me a holler. I will happily buy you dinner if you agree to answer my stupid questions and then later disavow any knowledge of my ignorance.
    Hell, I’ll go shooting with you. I’ll even provide the rifles (not ammo). No claim to be an instructor but I am a pretty fair shot and have some competitions under my belt. PM me for dates and times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Green Eyes Tactical is running a 1 day "Zeroing and Fundamentals Clinic" this weekend at CCC in Cresson.
    Thanks for pointing this out. Apparently he's a former Unit guy. Wouldn't mind having one of those locally.

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    Hell, I’ll go shooting with you.
    I PM'd you.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Green Eyes Tactical is running a 1 day "Zeroing and Fundamentals Clinic" this weekend at CCC in Cresson. I happened to see them listed on M4C, but don't know anything about them.
    I already contacted the OP about this a couple weeks ago, but just in case anyone else is looking through this thread, I have received information from a well-respected forum member that this was a bad suggestion. NOT RECOMMENDED.
    David S.

Green Eyes Tactical is NOT recommended for anything--stay away...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Green Eyes Tactical is NOT recommended for anything--stay away...
    Thanks again.

Does anyone want to quantify these vague warnings?

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    Does anyone want to quantify these vague warnings?
    Not other than you can trust DocGKR.
    #RESIST

I feel like warning people off someone like they're James Yeager probably deserves more of an explanation than just a statement from people that know their voice carries weight.

Necropost bump.

I attended the Tiger Valley Carbine I class over the weekend.

TLDR. Based on my singular experience this weekend, I would not recommend this as a level 1 class. I could potentially see value in taking this class (at least the 1 day refresher version) if you are already competent with a carbine and want to do something different.

TJ seems like a solid individual and has a very impressive range facility. He has a 1K yard range, elevated structures (including a 5 story steel frame platform) to shoot from, an “obstacle course,” and a variety of barricades to shoot from. We also spent some time on a 150y range with a smaller wood framed (maybe 15 ft tall) that requires you to shoot from unconventional positions. The range also has the ability to shoot moving targets. He has a bunch of cool stuff that I’m sure is unique for civilians.

Two guys signed up for a 1 day refresher. Both were multi time alumni of this class. I was the only one who signed up for the two day. This was my first formal rifle/carbine class, and I probably tripled my lifetime round count through center fire rifles.

That said, there was no apparent learning objectives or standards for this class. There was very little critique or instruction and no contextualization to myself as a suburbanite. TJ brought us to all the spots mentioned above and he had us work it out. We shot from 25-400ish yards. We were given as much time as we needed for self discovery til we were satisfied. We worked out holdovers and wind correction at a variety of distances and elevation.

In discussion with a couple guys that have carbine training, there was a lot of topics that were not introduced or discussed in the class, including managing offsets, malfunctions, cleaning and maintenance, the utility and proper application of slings and optic magnification, BUIS, etc.

I have a few hundred hours of handgun training and 20 hours of shotgun training. Tiger Valley’s Carbine I seemed like more of a “guided experience” than a training class. I can see how experienced shooters would find value in getting access to these unique platforms and props.

The other students were satisfied with their experience.
    David S.

User Tag List