Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No longer using a "night stand" gun

If I don't have time to get dressed somewhat normally I will clearly be in a situation where getting dressed will not be one of my main concerns. If I feel I need to gear up I'll grab the go-bag off the hook in the closet and the long gun to accompany it if appropriate. For me, the nightstand gun is just the first layer of response to be used when I can't get to the more serious stuff.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    I keep a G17 with mounted light/laser in a fanny pack (specifically a large Tommy's Gun Pack) with a spare mag and plenty of other goodies inside. If the wife wants me to investigate a bump in the night (which is rare, but happens), I like being able to immediately buckle it on and have everything I want at my disposal. As soon as I put it on, I draw the pistol out, but can easily put it back if I need to cover it up.

I also keep a basic G19 in the night stand, wearing a VG2 to keep the trigger covered... but there's little reason for me to do so. Given the layout/security of our house, it would take a really weird ninja to get in here and all the way to our bedroom without us hearing any warning. I therefore can't see any realistic situation in which the tiny speed difference of accessing the G19 provides me benefit.

If I'm suddenly the target of dudes who silently pass every valuable in my home on their way to busting into my third floor bedroom, I don't think my choice in nightstand setups will make any real difference. Thankfully I live an uneventful life in an uneventful neighborhood.

But steering myself back on topic: I definitely like a fanny pack for this role.
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

I've always used a LE type duty belt (Cobra buckle version) hung on a peg in my closet. I can literally have it on in under 10 seconds from when my feet hit the ground and it's out of sight when not in use. It gives me:

G17/X300U in a security holster
    3 spare mags
    Handheld Surefire EB2 Backup
    MK9 (aka riot sized) OC

I've never been comfortable leaving something like a loaded Glock just laying on a nightstand unholstered.

If I have more time/need I can add armor or a carbine as needed.

Respond Naked...
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

One reason why I like a fanny pack is that I can have the whole gunfight/building search kit in one bag that I can wear, buck nekid if I have to.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

We are diminished
    I'm also a fan of the fanny pack approach but I keep the gun out. If something weird happens and I need the gun immediately, I have the gun immediately at hand. If I choose to move beyond my bedside, I can throw on the fanny pack and keep the gun in my hand. If the situation dictates that the gun disappears from view, then I put the gun in the fanny pack.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I'm also a fan of the fanny pack approach but I keep the gun out. If something weird happens and I need the gun immediately, I have the gun immediately at hand. If I choose to move beyond my bedside, I can throw on the fanny pack and keep the gun in my hand. If the situation dictates that the gun disappears from view, then I put the gun in the fanny pack.
    I like this idea much more. No kids and no mansion here. I sleep like a rock sometimes and could have less than 30 seconds in a worst case scenario. I don't like the idea of attempting to draw a pistol from a pair of wadded up pants or trying to hop in pants during a possible break in, especially if in REM sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Another vote for the Tommy Pack. I can be buck naked and instantly buckle on a holster, spare mag, light and BOK.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    Respond Naked...
    This is good advice. I'm fairly certain the sight of a really really white, fat, butt naked apparition, screaming at the top of his lungs with a G34 would be enough to throw even the most seasoned criminal's OODA loop out of commission.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    This is good advice. I'm fairly certain the sight of a really really white, fat, butt naked apparition, screaming at the top of his lungs with a G34 would be enough to throw even the most seasoned criminal's OODA loop out of commission.
    I consider my naked body to be a flashbang when used in conjunction with a good flashlight.

User Tag List