Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No longer using a "night stand" gun

I've had to wake up and put on pants hundreds of times in the middle of the night at work. It's not easy. I'd practice it for sure. If I heard something inside my house I'm not taking time to put on pants. I really like having a holster tho.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Couldn't you use one of those IPSC/USPSA velcro belts with everything already setup to put it on quickly?

I like the belt idea but my current setup is to keep a j frame, flashlight and folder in the pockets of a pair of cargo shorts at my bedside. I also keep a G19 in a kydex IWB with a belt clip between the mattress and box springs with the grip sticking out far enough that I can grasp it while in bed. The belt clip keeps it in place unless I give the mattress a slight lift and I can pull it out and stick it in my waistband pretty quickly. The shorts are always threaded with a reinforced belt that keeps them opened enough for an easy grab and pull on. My cell phone is on the night stand and easily reached. If the situation were to call for leaving the room, the wifey gets the j frame and has her phone ready. She knows where the G19 is if I'm not in the room plus the safe in the MBR closet is unlocked at night and has additional conflict resolution resources if she/we need to retreat. If necessary, we could exit through the MBR closet window. Everything is locked away or carried when we're not at home. No kids in the house. Always looking for better solutions.

This is one situation where I keep a shoulder holster handy, currently a Safariland ALS. I'm not nearly coordinated enough to wake up, put on a pair of pants and secure a belt buckle in a hurry. Then again I have days where waking up enough to shoot an intruder without a minimum of two cups of coffee, might be a problem.

I prefer to just grab my gun and not put pants on. I want to intimidate the intruder in every way possible :-)

I wrote an article for SWAT about a similar topic a few years ago. Basically, SO wakes me up saying theirs noise outside, I look out the window and think I see something that clearly needs intervening, Rush downstairs and open door only to discover it's teenage rich-bitches acting like teenage rich-bitches. I did not, in this case, take my gun, but if occurred to metp that (a) if I had I would have probably gotten a visit from the popo, not to mention their daddy's lawyers, and (b) it would have been a good ruse to lure me outside for nefarious purposes. So I need a gun, but I don't want to expose it of not necessary.

The solution I came up with was a fanny pack from Galco. Side benefit is that I could keep a BOK, handheld light, spare mag, etc. in it. It would also, then, serve as a mini BOB and a great take along for hotel stays. And it requires no pants or belt. Downsides are that, well, it's a fanny pack, as well as possible slower deployment of gun. Both worthwhile concessions IMO.

The one thing I'd like to come up with is a way to stage the thing wherein it's locked up and secured, but when I open the locked storage I can choose to either grab just the gun or the whole bag. I think the answer is a rifle safe with a shelf and some creative use of Velcro. Haven't gotten that far yet.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I wrote an article for SWAT about a similar topic a few years ago. Basically, SO wakes me up saying theirs noise outside, I look out the window and think I see something that clearly needs intervening, Rush downstairs and open door only to discover it's teenage rich-bitches acting like teenage rich-bitches. I did not, in this case, take my gun, but if occurred to metp that (a) if I had I would have probably gotten a visit from the popo, not to mention their daddy's lawyers, and (b) it would have been a good ruse to lure me outside for nefarious purposes. So I need a gun, but I don't want to expose it of not necessary.

The solution I came up with was a fanny pack from Galco. Side benefit is that I could keep a BOK, handheld light, spare mag, etc. in it. It would also, then, serve as a mini BOB and a great take along for hotel stays. And it requires no pants or belt. Downsides are that, well, it's a fanny pack, as well as possible slower deployment of gun. Both worthwhile concessions IMO.

The one thing I'd like to come up with is a way to stage the thing wherein it's locked up and secured, but when I open the locked storage I can choose to either grab just the gun or the whole bag. I think the answer is a rifle safe with a shelf and some creative use of Velcro. Haven't gotten that far yet.
    I'm using a stout North Face fanny pack for the night time kit. (not "this is great kit man" but it actually is a kit - several things in a container )
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I use a similar setup with a maxpedition fatboy versapack. Can throw it over my shoulder naked and have a gun mags and a light. Pistol fits with or without a light and it's easy to dump straight into the gun pocket if I need the gun gone.

Also if observed I look like a creepy dude with a handbag and not a man with a gun.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

I wrote an article for SWAT about a similar topic a few years ago. Basically, SO wakes me up saying theirs noise outside, I look out the window and think I see something that clearly needs intervening, Rush downstairs and open door
    I don't often venture out in the dark looking for trouble, but when I do, I go heeled. Actually I don't get paid to hunt people in the dark anymore, so I'm happy to leave that to the guys who do.

That leaves me with people breaking into the house. What I wear to sleep will be enough clothing. If I were going to put something else on, I would vote for body armor, not pants. We have no kids to worry about, so my holstered pistols, spare mags, lights, and phone are within arms reach.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I generally would not venture outside either, but what I thought I was seeing was someone getting repeatedly, intentionally,run over with a car. Since that would have been a neighbor, and I liked my neighbors at the time, I was willing to try to help them.

User Tag List