Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No longer using a "night stand" gun

No longer using a "night stand" gun

instead, I am considering going towards a "night pants" gun. Here's my plan and reasoning:

I'm going to take an old loose pair of jeans, put a belt around it, and attach a holster to it. This empty pair of pants will sit right next to my bed ready for me to drop my feet right into it and pull up. My M9A1+WML, which formerly sat on my nightstand, will be secured in that holster. This way, once I pull up my pants, I've got a pistol holstered and ready to go.

Advantages:
    -trigger is kept covered
    -can still be immediately accessed just like a nightstand gun in the event somebody breaks into my bedroom
    -i can quickly put on pants and have a holstered pistol ready to go if there is ever a situation where I need to investigate outside (i can think of several examples--police/FD knocking, neighbor, etc)

Disadvantages:
    -?

Maybe everybody else is already doing this and I'm just behind the times? But this thought just came to me and after thinking it through, I had to ask myself why the hell wasn't I doing it sooner?

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    instead, I am considering going towards a "night pants" gun. Here's my plan and reasoning:

I'm going to take an old loose pair of jeans, put a belt around it, and attach a holster to it. This empty pair of pants will sit right next to my bed ready for me to drop my feet right into it and pull up. My M9A1+WML, which formerly sat on my nightstand, will be secured in that holster. This way, once I pull up my pants, I've got a pistol holstered and ready to go.

Advantages:
    -trigger is kept covered
    -can still be immediately accessed just like a nightstand gun in the event somebody breaks into my bedroom
    -i can quickly put on pants and have a holstered pistol ready to go if there is ever a situation where I need to investigate outside (i can think of several examples--police/FD knocking, neighbor, etc)

Disadvantages:
    -?

Maybe everybody else is already doing this and I'm just behind the times? But this thought just came to me and after thinking it through, I had to ask myself why the hell wasn't I doing it sooner?
    Kids in the house? What do you do with the pants pistol during hours you're not home? Sounds like a great idea if you live alone or always lock the pants up or take the pistol with you. I personally prefer having it locked in a quick access safe. Kids, robberies, psychotic girlfriend (hot/crazy matrix) etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    Kids in the house? What do you do with the pants pistol during hours you're not home? Sounds like a great idea if you live alone or always lock the pants up or take the pistol with you. I personally prefer having it locked in a quick access safe. Kids, robberies, psychotic girlfriend (hot/crazy matrix) etc etc.
    live alone. Pistol gets put back in safe when I leave the house

I have a pair of cargo shorts that I wear year round when I'm at home with a belt and holster that is for the same task. They are a couple sizes too big from when I was fatter so they can be slid on in a somewhat hurried fashion and reside by my bedside at night. Pistol is kept in a pistol safe though because I have kids of my own and often have other kids in the house as well. Children are the apex predator. They roam around, often silently and unassuming, just looking for ways to reign death upon those in their path. I'm convinced a group of 3-5 elementary school age kids can do more damage to a dwelling in an afternoon than a team of highly trained special forces operators with explosives.

DocGKR has been doing that for several years.

For me with Kids and Dog's (that like to drag my pants around) it's a no-go - though I often do it in hotels when away from home.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

This way, once I pull up my pants, I've got a pistol holstered and ready to go.
    I'd bet that having the pistol/WML in the holster will slow down the process of getting your pants secured, and that having the pants/holster combo on standby, with the pistol/WML on the nightstand will get you headed out the door faster and with less fumbling.

That way, if the flag flies, you put on your pants, grab your piece, and sally forth into the night. You'll have your pistol in hand and can holster if necessary rather than the other way around.

Why not come up with a few variations on the technique, then time yourself as you try them at speed in the dark?

Okie John

I always thought this was a great job for "war belts"/duty belts A big padded belt with a holster, two mags, IFAK/BOK, maybe a spot for your cellphone and a flashlight. Everything is secure, get up, wrap belt around, buckle with quick lock buckle, push down onto your hips to keep things from jostling around - boom ready to go. If you keep a long gun ready, you could also put extra ammo on the war belt.

I admit the 'pants' part if intriguing. Most of my night time defensive modes go with the Nyeti approach - an armed, angry, naked, hairy man - pants might be good...but also detract from the shock value...

live alone. Pistol gets put back in safe when I leave the house
    In a situation like that a pair of pistol pants is great idea. Although if I were to confront a home intruder butt naked I feel like the shock effect from see a big hairy naked guy pointing a glock at him would at least reduce the intruder's reaction time by a second or 2.

ETA: Just read last post. I'd go with the Nyeti method. The WTF! effect will help in your favor!

You may want to check out the Keepers Concealment Errand or the similar holster offering from Dark Star Gear. Both are designed to be worn with or without belts.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I always thought this was a great job for "war belts"/duty belts A big padded belt with a holster, two mags, IFAK/BOK, maybe a spot for your cellphone and a flashlight. Everything is secure, get up, wrap belt around, buckle with quick lock buckle, push down onto your hips to keep things from jostling around - boom ready to go...

I think this idea has some merit.

One probably doesnt have to be big and hairy to make an intruder stop for a few seconds.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-28-2015 at 06:35 PM.

User Tag List