Thread: Review of Hyskore Revolver Light

Review of Hyskore Revolver Light

I recently bought a Hyskore revolver light and wanted to share my impressions of it. Pardon the lack of photos; I am a Luddite.

Here's a review with numerous pics of the light: http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/gun-light-revolver/

This thing replaces the grip and is intended for use on round-butt S&W j-frames. It uses a single CR2 battery (not a CR123 as indicated in the linked GunsAmerica post), has a momentary push-button switch on the front of the grip, and a master on/off switch on the bottom of the grip.

The manufacturer says that the light generates 100 lumens. I compared this light to my Surefires with 80 lumen LED heads and the Surefires are noticeably brighter. More brightness would be better, but I have no idea if this is achievable. There is some shadowing noticeable at about the 7-8 clock position, but less than I expected. The light illuminates the front sight on the 2.125" barreled 640 very well.

As can be seen in the images in the linked article, the grip leaves a portion of the rear of the triggerguard exposed. For me, this resulted in discomfort after shooting 65 rds of Blazer .38 +P 158 FMJ through my wife's 640-1. It's a shame that the maker didn't fill in the area behind the triggerguard a little more completely. It is noticeably less comfortable to shoot than a Crimson Trace LG-305, a Hogue rubber grip, or even the extended grip S&W puts on its j-frames. Filling this area in would likely require relocating the momentary switch about a quarter or three eighths of an inch lower on the front face of the grip.

I noticed that the left side of the grip interferes with ejection of one or more empties on almost every cylinder full, even with a vigorous whack on the end of the extractor rod and the muzzle held vertically. The interfering material appears to be aluminum and could likely be removed without affecting function, solving the problem.

The location of the light interferes with the 640 fitting in a Raven Phantom.

I think that this thing could be useful even as is,for people using a j-frame revolver for home defense, and who want to be able to use both hands on the revolver while firing. If the maker could correct the shortcomings mentioned above, and assuming the light proves durable and reliable over an extended period of use, this thing could be a very good piece of kit.

That kills pocket carry, left handed carry, ankle holster carry, and appears that it would interfere with IWB carry. Did I read that right that one has to adjust their primary grip in order to actuate and deactivate the light?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    That kills pocket carry, left handed carry, ankle holster carry, and appears that it would interfere with IWB carry. Did I read that right that one has to adjust their primary grip in order to actuate and deactivate the light?
    It probably kills pocket carry in most pants pockets, and ankle carry, both because of the lengthened grip and light residing on the upper right area of the cylinder (please see pics in the linked article in my OP if this isn't clear). Might or might not impact left hand carry or IWB carry.

IMO this is a potentially more useful item, at least as currently configured, for home defense rather than carry.

The light doesn't make your adjust your grip; it merely makes you wish that you had shot fewer rounds because of the exposed rear face of the triggerguard impacting one's social finger on every shot. Once the master on/off switch on the base of the grip is actuated, one momentarily activates the light by pressing a button on the front of the grip. For me and likely for almost all shooters, the social finger will naturally fall over that button.

User Tag List