Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overheard At the NRA Range

We are diminished

Overheard At the NRA Range

The benefit of wifi at the range...

"Yeah, that's a .45... They call it the slow poke round. It's only going a few hundred feet per second compared to a 9mm which is going fifteen or sixteen hundred."

"It's pointed downrange!" (guy who was holding a loaded gun pointed at his buddy's back while buddy was on the line shooting)

Doing my best to spend time around real shooters, and, on the Internet this forum and M4C, it's easy to forget how rampant shit like this still is.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Site Supporter
    I usually keep my ear plugs in when I'm not on the range, I add the muffs on the range. Thanks for reminding me why I should continue that practice.

Things I've noticed at the NRA Range:

-I'm doing some drills, and the shooter(s) to my flanks think just because I'm shooting "fast" they have to speed up their rate of fire. It gets annoying after a while. I'm not there to compete with anyone, steal their girlfriend or make fun of their choice in a defensive/recreational sidearm.

-The safety rules apply to the Next Guy.

-Lubing an AR type weapon is a Bad Thing, and it's a "piecasheeeit" when it stops functioning properly.

I could go on.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    I could go on.
    +1.

Sigh….

There are really only a few kinds of gun people and shooters in this world in my opinion. One type is like most of us. We love it, we are on fire for it, it is our favorite activity and when paired with our drive for it, often results in above average performance.

Then there is one of the other kinds that I’m convinced only own guns and shoot for the “Hey, watch this!” factor.

The 2A is there for those doobers too. I can say that I have been luckier than some in that I’ve only been to a public range about 6 times in my whole life, but nearly all 6 of those times ended in me scratching my head.

We are diminished
    I meant to sticky and lock this thread but couldn't do it from Tapatalk. It wasn't my intention to turn it into a harangue toward shooters in general. But I hear at least one off the wall thing every time I'm there and thought it would be fun to keep track...

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    "It's pointed downrange!" (guy who was holding a loaded gun pointed at his buddy's back while buddy was on the line shooting)
    I remember taking a 'Hunter Safety' course in 8th grade about 30 years ago, when it was drilled into my head that you NEVER point a firearm in the direction of anything you do not wish to destroy. I am amazed at how so many, even with the benefit of having it explained to them, don't understand and practice this core principle.

I once watched two firefighters try to circumvent the NRA range ban on targets with human faces by informing the RSOs that they were "law enforcement officers."

It did not go well for them and they could not shoot.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I once watched two firefighters try to circumvent the NRA range ban on targets with human faces by informing the RSOs that they were "law enforcement officers."

It did not go well for them and they could not shoot.
    Was I there too? That sounds familiar...

User Tag List