Thread: My random observations on SHOT 2015

My random observations on SHOT 2015

Please bear in mind the following , some of the stuff you guys take for granted is not available here, so I may gush about things that are old hat to you. The shooting I did on the Monday was not on a timer and was on steel, so all observations are totally subjective and may have no similarity to reality at all.

Monday we spent at the Sig range day and had opportunity to shoot a whole chunk of the SIG catalog. Biggest highlight for me was the P320 in .45. I have shot the 9mm full size a bit but got to play with some others there. The 45 doesn't feel like a 45 to shoot, the recoil is subjectively very soft and it is a helluva controllable gun. If anything the compact was a little nicer. 10+1 in the full size and 9+1 in the compact as I recall. Ammo was Sig V Crown 200gr JHPso not softball wadcutter stuff.

Shot the 320 Compact on 9mm as well and found myself preferring how it shoots to the full size too. Peculiar because I really don't like a G19 compared to a G17.

The MCX is very exiting and also very controllable and consistent in recoil. Suppressed I felt no gas to my face at all.

Met Bruce Grey and played with a P320 customized by his shop, makes a good trigger even better.

Also shot a 320 with a factory slide mounted MRDS , my forst time shooting a slide mounted MRDS, wasnt properly sighted in so couldnt get a great feel for it but interesting.

Met PF SME Rich Verdi there, what a gentleman.

Watched Mas mMichel drive a P320 as well, and felt totally inadequate.

The following are guns we didn't shoot just got to play with at the show.

The Tangoglio (EAA) Stock 2 and Stock 3 in their factory form didnt really impress me much, no way i would trade My X Calibur or a Shadow for one. Ergos are very nice but didnt like the triggers at all heavy and gritty. The Extreme ones though are frikken amazing. Triggers were amazing. I would not kick either out of bed. Bear in mind we shoot IPSC here not USPSA so a gun that can be modified to have a nice trigger with aftermarket parts and or polishing is kinda useless for Production. Hence why the Extremes did impress.

The Colts with no furniture are a bloody good idea and make great sense if guys want to immediately Barbie their rifles.

At Beretta I expected to love the 92g-SD and be ambivalent about the Vertec. I was wrong. The Vertec really appealed and even though I have bigger than average hands the gun fit and pointed really well. The SD was cool but much clunkier for want of a better term. Shooting may change that opinion but I normally prefer lighter rather than heavier slides, so it may not. The M9A3 is very sweet, not loving the colour( even though I normally like cool guy FDE) but thats neither here nor there. I do prefer the safety lever on the 92FS and G to the A3 one but could live with it happily. Wasn't wild about the add on grip for the A3 even though once again I thought I would prefer it. They did seem to have an A3 without a threaded barrel as well.

More to follow as it occurs to me and as time allows.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

I have a pretty new 320 full size 9mm I'm pretty impressed with. I haven't handled much less shot a compact yet. But I seem to notice in rapid strings my shots wandering a skosh low vs a skosh high shooting Glocks. My half assed theory is that the full size 320 with all that slide out there is dropping down out of recoil with enough momentum to influence this on top of how the 320 naturally "points" pretty level vs the slight high "point" of a G17. I must try a compact to see what I see.
    None of it is a hardware problem, not suggesting that. I'm long Glock habituated.

Good report. More is eagerly anticipated.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Vertec lower is one of those things that feels great in my hands, but the regular lower shoots better for me. Other friends and PF members have reported the same.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    ... a skosh low vs a skosh high ...
    Dude... you're making my left eye twitch a skosh...

The Sig MCX has been high on my WANT list a while now

Quote Originally Posted by Harm View Post
    The Sig MCX has been high on my WANT list a while now

Not want
    Not even need.
    But deserve

The Tangoglio (EAA) Stock 2 and Stock 3 in their factory form didnt really impress me much, no way i would trade My X Calibur or a Shadow for one. Ergos are very nice but didnt like the triggers at all heavy and gritty. The Extreme ones though are frikken amazing. Triggers were amazing. I would not kick either out of bed. Bear in mind we shoot IPSC here not USPSA so a gun that can be modified to have a nice trigger with aftermarket parts and or polishing is kinda useless for Production. Hence why the Extremes did impress.

Hopefully the logistical situation with Tanfoglio is better where youre at. Here in the US, the guns are imported through a company so incompetent theyre effectively unsupported. While the Elite Match I had was a decent shooter, it had 2 malfunctions in 200 rounds -and id be effecitvely on my own if something serious broke.

Those issues and Tanfoglio's weird QC issues are why mine went down the road-weird as in EGD grips fitting one gun, but requiring fitting to fit a different version of the same gun . If I had to do it again, id get CZs and not even consider anything from Italy not made by Beretta.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Tanfo is actually totally unsupported here currently. Though rumour has it that will be changing. For the purpose I would want those particular blasters I would accept a certain amount of set up and adjustment to get them running. Bear in mind that I'm not the dude who competes with his carry gear. My competition gear has the sole function of being ideal for whatever game I'm playing.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Tanfo is actually totally unsupported here currently. Though rumour has it that will be changing. For the purpose I would want those particular blasters I would accept a certain amount of set up and adjustment to get them running. Bear in mind that I'm not the dude who competes with his carry gear. My competition gear has the sole function of being ideal for whatever game I'm playing.
    Fair enough.Theyre relatively easy to work on, versus similar hammer-fired designs.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List