Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Back into .45s

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    ...luck with El Paso Saddlery?
    As a cowboy action shooter who owns too many rigs in the first place, from first hand experience I find those El Paso guys are slightly over priced for the quality and durability of what they make. Not really bad stuff, just not the level of differentiation, stiffness, durability to justify the wait or the prices.

I've been checking out the holster makers recommended here.

Have you guys had good luck with El Paso Saddlery? Many of their reviews online are not great.....which falls in line with several of my experiences with leather holster makers in the past.
    I have 4 Threepersons holsters purchased over 10 years, a couple bullet slides and an engraved spider shoulder holster. 2 of the Threepersons have been heavily used in the field and have been holding up very well. The others seem to be as well made but haven't seen the use of the others.

I've been checking out the holster makers recommended here.

Have you guys had good luck with El Paso Saddlery? Many of their reviews online are not great.....which falls in line with several of my experiences with leather holster makers in the past.
    My one experience with EPS was less than satisfactory.

I ordered a Summer Cruiser holster for a Glock 19. It fits my son's Beretta 92FS better. I sent it back with a note as to such, along with a request for the black belt loops I had ordered instead of tan.

I got the same holster back with Black loops...the snaps are not PTD.

I'll personally buy elsewhere.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Read this whole thread..Now, I've been looking over at Ruger's site at a Stainless Vaquero with a birdshead grip, 3 3/4" bbl, in .45acp. I'm thinking this would be a great fun gun to shoot to take a break from all the tacticool stuff. I load .45acp, other than a tighter crimp, is there anything else I need to know about loading for one of these? And, are there any known problems/issues with these?

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Read this whole thread..Now, I've been looking over at Ruger's site at a Stainless Vaquero with a birdshead grip, 3 3/4" bbl, in .45acp. I'm thinking this would be a great fun gun to shoot to take a break from all the tacticool stuff. I load .45acp, other than a tighter crimp, is there anything else I need to know about loading for one of these? And, are there any known problems/issues with these?

Yes,

On the ones I have I noted that my USPSA loads (200 grain LSWC 4.3 Clays) would not chamber due to the SWC shoulder protruding above the case mouth a bit. The choice was either change the load, and seat it deeper just for revolver shooting, or ream the cylinder. I chose to ream the cylinder. That way I could use the same ammo in all my .45s, 1911s, revolvers, Glocks, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Yes,

On the ones I have I noted that my USPSA loads (200 grain LSWC 4.3 Clays) would not chamber due to the SWC shoulder protruding above the case mouth a bit. The choice was either change the load, and seat it deeper just for revolver shooting, or ream the cylinder. I chose to ream the cylinder. That way I could use the same ammo in all my .45s, 1911s, revolvers, Glocks, whatever.
    Ok, I usually run plated RN's both 200,and 230gr..the OAL I use is 1.250, for the 200gr bullets, and 1.260 for the 230gr bullets..Think those would work, without having the cylinder reamed? I'm not wanting to buy a pistol like this and have to send it out for work right off the bat, The other option, would be to buy the .44 mag model, that would go well with my Winchester M94 trapper, in .44mag..I could always download the .44's to near .45acp levels... And if I need to ramp'em up, I've got 8lbs of H-110, I got when I bought a friends 650, powder, primers, brass..
    Last edited by ralph; 03-25-2019 at 03:53 PM.

User Tag List