Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Back into .45s

I forgot to mention, that snubby forty five would be a perfect candidate for some heavy hard cast acp loads such as 255s pushed by large doses of unique. That would turn it into another animal completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I forgot to mention, that snubby forty five would be a perfect candidate for some heavy hard cast acp loads such as 255s pushed by large doses of unique. That would turn it into another animal completely.
    Man you'd have to crimp the hell out of that. One of the actual issues with this gun is a lot of .45 ACP ammo isn't really crimped hard, and the recoil with this gun has been known to actually unseat bullets in their cases.

You are absolutely correct.

After doing some long range shooting with a friend, I noted (as pointed out by my friend) that you get more consistent results at LR with a heavier than normal crimp. I recently added Lee crimp dies to my Dillon tool heads just for this purpose.

People might be surprised at the performance of the ACP cartridge, when utilized with a heavier bullet, with a large flat meplat. It's a whole different animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    You are absolutely correct.

After doing some long range shooting with a friend, I noted (as pointed out by my friend) that you get more consistent results at LR with a heavier than normal crimp. I recently added Lee crimp dies to my Dillon tool heads just for this purpose.

People might be surprised at the performance of the ACP cartridge, when utilized with a heavier bullet, with a large flat meplat. It's a whole different animal.
    I'd be willing to try something like that out of a 625, but there's something about running hot .45s out of a gun that weighs less than a volleyball that I find somewhat intimidating.

That's one of the reasons I limit my 329 to 10 grains of Unique with a 240/250 cast. That and 300 grain projectiles with heavy doses of H 110 just hurt.

Ended up getting a Cimarron model P 4/34 inch in 45 LC after reading and contemplating. (Uberti manufacture)

After about 100 rounds, every screw on the gun was loose... and trying to tighten the screws without a hollow ground screwdriver is a bad idea on the soft Italian steel.

Pretty and fun gun, but it has some finish flaws (tool chatter on the frame, finish drip marks on stocks) and very soft fasteners.

I'm going to order a SAA specific hollow ground driver set and new backstrap screws, because they are just a tiny bit buggered and it will bother me forever if I leave them.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 03-30-2015 at 08:41 AM.

I recently succumbed to the temptation of a Standard Manufacturing Single Action in nickel. Like shaking hands with God.

Any recommendations for a holster maker? I have never had a SAA holster so feedback is appreciated. I'm not interested in SASS drama or BBQ prancing, just something I can play Bat Masterson with at the farm.

Pictured below along with it's bigger, ponier brother.

Name:  StdMan.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  Colt Cavalry.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  31.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    I recently succumbed to the temptation of a Standard Manufacturing Single Action in nickel. Like shaking hands with God.

Any recommendations for a holster maker? I have never had a SAA holster so feedback is appreciated. I'm not interested in SASS drama or BBQ prancing, just something I can play Bat Masterson with at the farm.

Pictured below along with it's bigger, ponier brother.

Name:  StdMan.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  Colt Cavalry.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  31.1 KB
    Here's a low budget one with realistic historic look. https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/31...content=319492

Nicer models here https://epsaddlery.com/product/1849-...rnian-holster/
    Last edited by JHC; 03-12-2019 at 10:51 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Maybe you don't want to SASS, but if you have a contact in the game, get a copy of the Cowboy Chronicle and check out the ads.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Elpasso saddlery Threepersons. Traditional, useful, good looking, and rugged.

User Tag List