Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Looking fo a good Quality headlamp

I like the batteries in the back and a strap over the top. The batteries in the back help spread out weight, it's not as comfortable as a belt mounted pack but it's better than having all the weight up front. The strap over the top helps with stability and means the headband can be worn looser, and isn't as likely to cause headaches if you're wearing it for a long time. The MYO rotates down and for storage the housing locks out the switches when the light is rotated up.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I like the batteries in the back and a strap over the top. The batteries in the back help spread out weight, it's not as comfortable as a belt mounted pack but it's better than having all the weight up front. The strap over the top helps with stability and means the headband can be worn looser, and isn't as likely to cause headaches if you're wearing it for a long time. The MYO rotates down and for storage the housing locks out the switches when the light is rotated up.
    Agree. For anything with more battery weight than 3xAAA I prefer the balance of having the batteries in back. My first good headlamp was an old Princeton Tec with a rear 3xAA case, and I never found it uncomfortable.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Agree. For anything with more battery weight than 3xAAA...
    ^^^ The 3xAAA Black Diamond Storm is barely noticeable on the front of the head, but it wouldn't take too many more ounces for me to wish for a rear battery pack.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Thanks Paul for the detailed response, and Peter and Tam for the input on balance, I appreciate it! The AA headlamps appeal to me as I'm well stocked on Eneloop AAs for other lights and various purposes but I hadn't previously considered the impact of the extra weight, especially with two or three cells -- reckon there's a reason so many use AAAs. It may well be overkill for some things, but I've got a MYO on the way, looking forward to it!

My only complaint about the MYO and it's not the MYO it's the three battery configuration and my low end battery chargers are for pairs of batteries. My Eneloop chargers, in particular, have a hard time completely charging both batteries if they are not run down to the same level. I should probably pony up the cash for a Powerex charger. If you start to experience low battery light problems, and you have a paired charger, you may need to completely run down 2 batteries in a single AA device and then charge them together, to get that 3rd topped off cell.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    A friend gave me the Streamlight model and I like it a lot. I would buy it if it were lost/stolen.
    Resurrecting.

I just ordered one of these and a Petzl Tactikka. I've had both my Black Diamonds go tits up this week. Both are a couple years old but damn.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Resurrecting.

I just ordered one of these and a Petzl Tactikka. I've had both my Black Diamonds go tits up this week. Both are a couple years old but damn.
    I'm still using the Streamlight. I'll still replace it the instant it's lost, stolen, or dies. I've had two Petzl's die on me, the SL keeps on keeping on though.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    I augmented my 80 lumen Princeton Tec with this one below.

200 Lumens/AAA batts. High Viz color with red for night as well. It did well my last camping season before I semi-retired from Scouts.

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-6...449718&sr=8-10

With COB LEDs becoming ubiquitous it seems like the Chinese knockoffs have cracked the code and you don't need to spend a lot to have a decent light.

User Tag List