Thread: 10mm gel & armor test: Underwood 140 gr Extreme Penetrator

10mm gel & armor test: Underwood 140 gr Extreme Penetrator

Link for phones

10mm Underwood 140 gr Lehigh Defense Extreme Penetrator fired from 4.5" barrel EAA Witness into calibrated 10% gelatin and Level IIA body armor.

BB: 588.4 fps, 3.7"

Gel results:

Impact velocity: 1,507 fps
    Penetration: 25.9"
    Retained weight: 140.4 gr
    Max expansion: N/A
    Min expansion: N/A

On the body armor test, the bullet passed completely through the vest, approximately four inches of clay, and two six inch water jugs. While the clay and water are not representative of actual wounding, it seems clear that this bullet would have been potentially fatal after passing through the armor. As you can see in the photo, the vest is rated for 158 gr .357 mag.

Those slugs seem to show a lot of promise for deep pen applications. I've read some good reviews for functioning in the G42.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Interesting.

IMO many of the boutique makers, including Underwood, run some of their loads too fast. So, they get worse terminal performance than the original factory loads. Faster isn't always better, even if it sells more ammo. I do like some of their loads which run close to or slightly faster. (These include some of their Gold Dot revolver loads). During the big ammo crunch, it was often the only defensive ammo I could find.

I do not need a 10mm, I do not need a 10mm, I do not need a 10mm, I do not need a 10mm, I do not need a 10mm, I do not need a 10mm...

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    I do not need a 10mm, I do not need a 10mm, I do not need a 10mm, I do not need a 10mm, I do not need a 10mm, I do not need a 10mm...
    Need?

Thankfully I bought my 10mm pistols before I visited this site and started thinking more seriously about what is practical & what I actually need.
    (Still like 10mm pistols for outdoorsman use though.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    You don't need one but why settle for the minimum caliber?
    --Jason--

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Those slugs seem to show a lot of promise for deep pen applications. I've read some good reviews for functioning in the G42.
    �� A G42?!Name:  image.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  57.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    �� A G42?!Name:  image.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  57.9 KB
    Lol! I suspect he means the LeHigh Defense solid copper penetrating bullet for the .380. Not the 10mm version.

User Tag List