Page 97 of 109 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the AK

Awesome, thanks! I went m90 over the other 5.56s because Zastava has history with the 5.56, more mag options, side rail, price, and adjustable gas should mean it's good with any 5.56 you might get. I will see how the standard polymer mag fits then maybe see if there are any sales next weekend.

I've never been sold on the need for the thicker stamped or milled receiver and don't like the weight, but people seem to want them. I don't have high hopes for availability of any Soviet calibers in the future and I've never been a big 7.62x39 or Wolf fan anyway.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Placed a pre-order for a Beryl in 5.56 last month and received an email today that it is shipping. Should be waiting for me at the dealer by the time I’m back from training in Dallas.

Hymmed and Hawd about getting one but I figured that they are pretty much going for what other higher end import AKs are going for and they are semi-auto versions of bonafide military rifles. I kick myself 5 times every day for not purchasing Russian SLRs back when I had the chance and figure the time in now to get a Beryl.

Quote Originally Posted by GlockenSpiel View Post
    Awesome, thanks! I went m90 over the other 5.56s because Zastava has history with the 5.56, more mag options, side rail, price, and adjustable gas should mean it's good with any 5.56 you might get. I will see how the standard polymer mag fits then maybe see if there are any sales next weekend.

I've never been sold on the need for the thicker stamped or milled receiver and don't like the weight, but people seem to want them. I don't have high hopes for availability of any Soviet calibers in the future and I've never been a big 7.62x39 or Wolf fan anyway.
    The M90 is a pretty interesting rifle. It was supposed to replace the M70 in the 1990s but it never did due to the Yugoslavian civil war. AFAIK, North Macedonia is the only country who has used them to any extent and all the photos I’ve seen of them look like they are are underfolders. While I like the functionality of the Zhukov stock and Hogue handguard, these rifles are ABSOLUTE SEX with wood stocks! Mine shoots well with cheap ammo and its weight and adjustable gas system make it very light recoiling. There are a couple GunTubers who have had excellent results with their M90s in competition. One odd thing I noticed on my last outing is that the Polymer Zastava mags (that I had issue with earlier) ran fine with brass ammo, but choked (probably due to short stroking) with steel cased. The AC Unity magazines ran all ammo well. I have one of the Pro-Mag magazines on the way for T&E.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Placed a pre-order for a Beryl in 5.56 last month and received an email today that it is shipping. Should be waiting for me at the dealer by the time I’m back from training in Dallas.

Hymmed and Hawd about getting one but I figured that they are pretty much going for what other higher end import AKs are going for and they are semi-auto versions of bonafide military rifles. I kick myself 5 times every day for not purchasing Russian SLRs back when I had the chance and figure the time in now to get a Beryl.

The M90 is a pretty interesting rifle. It was supposed to replace the M70 in the 1990s but it never did due to the Yugoslavian civil war. AFAIK, North Macedonia is the only country who has used them to any extent and all the photos I’ve seen of them look like they are are underfolders. While I like the functionality of the Zhukov stock and Hogue handguard, these rifles are ABSOLUTE SEX with wood stocks! Mine shoots well with cheap ammo and its weight and adjustable gas system make it very light recoiling. There are a couple GunTubers who have had excellent results with their M90s in competition. One odd thing I noticed on my last outing is that the Polymer Zastava mags (that I had issue with earlier) ran fine with brass ammo, but choked (probably due to short stroking) with steel cased. The AC Unity magazines ran all ammo well. I have one of the Pro-Mag magazines on the way for T&E.
    You should like the Beryl. I bought one from the first batch a couple of years ago and it has become my favorite AK to shoot, especially because I don't shoot my Russian SGL31 AK74 much anymore because I want to preserve the 5.45 ammo I have. The Beryl scratches the AK74 itch well. I ended up getting a Polish military surplus folding stock for it, and later I got a second Beryl (also 5.56 rifle, not mini). Some complain about magazine price and availability, but Arms of America and Atlantic usually have them in stock. I'd do what I did and order 30+ of them and not worry about it anymore. One day they will not be coming in anymore.

As someone with several Russian AKs (SGL21, SGL31, a couple of VEPR FM's) and an SLR107F, the Beryl is very much in the same top tier as those, if not nicer. I strongly believe it is the highest quality AK currently on the market, and definitely one of the highest quality AKs ever imported.

Hi guys,any opinions on the Arsenal SAM7 vs the Zastava M70?Thank you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockenSpiel View Post

Both milled receivers and “RPK” / bulged trunion receivers exist due to metallurgy issues.

The original AKs use a stamped steel receiver, but the materials available in the Soviet union at the time resulted in a receiver that was not durable. Milled receivers were a fifth of that for the first seven or eight years of AK production. Once the metallurgy issues were resolved, production, went back to STMPD receivers.

The actual military Yugo AKs were notorious for have soft / bad metallurgy in their receivers. The use of 1.5mm vs 1mm stamping sand the “bulged trunion” on the Yugo guns was a fix for the sometimes sub standard materials.

The current Zastava imports are pretty good guns, but we still see some echoes of metallurgy issues in AKs in reports of excess wear when harder aftermarket parts like the ALG AK triggers are causing damage when interacting with softer factory parts.

Regarding PSA AKs, and maybe we covered this previously, what's the differences between GF3 and GF4?

I still have the gray Zhukov GF3 that I purchased earlier in the thread (ok, fine! Over three years ago) unfired that I'm considering selling bit it appears the GF3 is the old-busted to the GF4 new-hotness? Don't NEED to sell so maybe I wait for the next panic.

Examples (however mine is the longer handguard variety)

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psak...165450209.html

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...ifle-gray.html
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I believe the chief difference between the GF3, GF4, and GF5 is the barrel: GF4 gets a cold hammer-forged, chrome-lined barrel and GF5 gets an FN-produced cold hammer-forged, chrome-lined barrel. The GF3 barrel is not cold hammer-forged and is nitride treated rather than chrome-lined.
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    You should like the Beryl. I bought one from the first batch a couple of years ago and it has become my favorite AK to shoot, especially because I don't shoot my Russian SGL31 AK74 much anymore because I want to preserve the 5.45 ammo I have. The Beryl scratches the AK74 itch well. I ended up getting a Polish military surplus folding stock for it, and later I got a second Beryl (also 5.56 rifle, not mini). Some complain about magazine price and availability, but Arms of America and Atlantic usually have them in stock. I'd do what I did and order 30+ of them and not worry about it anymore. One day they will not be coming in anymore.

As someone with several Russian AKs (SGL21, SGL31, a couple of VEPR FM's) and an SLR107F, the Beryl is very much in the same top tier as those, if not nicer. I strongly believe it is the highest quality AK currently on the market, and definitely one of the highest quality AKs ever imported.
    Thanks, I’m looking forward to getting it. I’m wanting to put the folding stock on it. Looks like original Polish folders are hard to find but there are a couple reproductions out there that look good that I’ll probably give a try. Atlantic told me that they expect a new batch of optic rails late summer/early fall so I’ll probably just shoot irons until then. As I understand it the optic rail is a weakness of the system and places the optic up too high for a cheek weld. Given that I have an extra EOTech laying around I plan on trying to make a Polish GWOT clone, I’ll accept the sub par mounting solution for “historical accuracy.” Rob Ski put a side mount on his 762 gun for this reason. The Beryl Green magazine runs in my M90 fine and the WBP with a little filing of their backs so I’m hoping for commonality between my M90 and Beryl. Would certainly make life easier, but yeah, as a Valmet owner I agree 1000% with your comments about buying magazines when they are available. I’m also wanting a “modern” 762 gun before any gun ban buffoonery starts (seems Colorado is always one legislative session away from an AWB and I fear there is a strong chance of Gavin becoming POTUS), I’ve been debating between a PSA and a KUSA AK103 but if the Beryl is as good as many say I might go with an M1.

Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    I have an Arsenal SA93 which is the forerunner of the SAM7 as well as a couple Zastava M70s. From a fit and finish perspective I’d give it to the Arsenal, but frankly after that I would say it comes down to price and what makes you happy. The M70 will run about half of what the SAM7 will. I don’t think the Arsenal is twice the gun the M70 is for sure. Both will be restrictive on stocks available as the SAM7 is a forged/milled receiver and the M70 is a Yugo pattern. The SAM7 will fit most standard AK handguards while the M70 will need Yugo specific hand guards. Both will be beefy girls unless you can find a 1mm ZPAP (I have one I’m looking to sell). I’ve been quite happy with my M70s, it’s given me good accuracy and any malfunctions I’ve had have been magazine related. Both my Arsenal and one Zastava have had some sight issues (canted on the Arsenal and loose rear leaf on the Zastava) that the OCD side of me had to remedy but that seems to be part of the magic of running AKs.

Below is my zero target from my M70 at 100 yards from “magazine prone” using the AK irons shooting cheap Wolf 122gr fodder. While I would suspect the SAM7 could group a little tighter based on some of the groups I’ve got with my SA93, the M70 shoots fine for me.

Name:  IMG_7226.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  26.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Both milled receivers and “RPK” / bulged trunion receivers exist due to metallurgy issues.

The original AKs use a stamped steel receiver, but the materials available in the Soviet union at the time resulted in a receiver that was not durable. Milled receivers were a fifth of that for the first seven or eight years of AK production. Once the metallurgy issues were resolved, production, went back to STMPD receivers.

The actual military Yugo AKs were notorious for have soft / bad metallurgy in their receivers. The use of 1.5mm vs 1mm stamping sand the “bulged trunion” on the Yugo guns was a fix for the sometimes sub standard materials.

The current Zastava imports are pretty good guns, but we still see some echoes of metallurgy issues in AKs in reports of excess wear when harder aftermarket parts like the ALG AK triggers are causing damage when interacting with softer factory parts.
    I’ve not read of issues with soft receivers on actual military M70s but it certainly seems to have been an issue with the Century import rifles. All of the 1mm receiver military guns I’ve seen have been folders or M85 pattern. According to Rob Ski, Zastava USA insisted on a factory trigger being used in their guns as they claimed that will reduce peening issues. I don’t think the increased wear due to the ALG trigger is unique to M70s as well. I would hesitate to put an ALG trigger on one of mine (some people who claim more knowledge than me state is is a problem with the shape/profile of the ALG trigger more than the hardness of the metal). The plus side of this is that all of the Zastava “ZPaps” I have owned (3 of them) have had more than serviceable triggers.

It is worth noting to others that the M70 is NOT a true AK pattern rifle. Stalin and Tito were not on each others “May Day” card lists in the 1950s and the USSR did not give the Yugoslavians the TDP or set up a factory for the production of AKs like they did other nations, thus the M70 rifles are the result of reverse engineering that no doubt resulted in different material specifications, most famously the lack of a chromed barrel and possibly softer materials. While the “official” reason for the 1.5mm receiver is the reliance on rifle grenades within Yugo doctrine as you say - it might also be a way of dealing with softer receiver material or inconsistent heat treating.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 07-08-2023 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    SAM7 all day everyday. Zastava has had so many metallurgy and QC issues I wouldn’t consider them.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    SAM7 all day everyday. Zastava has had so many metallurgy and QC issues I wouldn’t consider them.
    Can you provide examples of metallurgy issues with current production Zastavas?

User Tag List