Page 95 of 108 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the AK

9 Hole Reviews takes a brief look at the Sureshot Armament AK chassis. Hopefully the forthcoming videos will show a bit more on the overall fit, etc.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Vending Machine Operator
    After being pretty much dead set on the WBP Poland AK, I pulled the trigger on the Serbian red wood Zastava M70 ZPAP 170th anniversary edition, for a few reasons.

One, Serbia has been wising up and starting to distance themselves from Russia lately, so I no longer feel dirty buying a Serbian rifle.

Two, my main platform is the AR-15, and my Daniel Defense M4V1 remains my go-to. I don't really need high-end, I need a decent one for the collection and for fun. The M70 ZPAP nails that. Saves me about $300-400.

Three, really seems to be a solid gun features-wise. Chrome-lined, bulged RPK trunions, several years of pretty positive field reports including robski at AKOU.

Four, the 170th anniversary one looks cool and I like it.

We'll see if I have buyer's remorse, but given that my only previous AK was a WASR-10 I think this will be an appreciable upgrade for me. And I liked my WASR!
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I think for semi-serious use- 50-100 rounds a month type of shooter, the PSA AK's shouldn't be completely ignored. The main reasons are that they have improved their product, prices are very fair, and if you do have an issue they are stateside and will take care of you.
    I was scrolling through their 7.62x39 options yesterday because I sort of want need one to fill a hole in my collection. And because I still have AK mags and a couple of cases of ammo.

Does anyone know the difference between the higher priced "premium forged" and lower priced "forged" versions or has it already been covered upthread?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I was scrolling through their 7.62x39 options yesterday because I sort of want need one to fill a hole in my collection. And because I still have AK mags and a couple of cases of ammo.

Does anyone know the difference between the higher priced "premium forged" and lower priced "forged" versions or has it already been covered upthread?
    Some of these premium models have an ALG trigger. At least that seems to be the case with the 5.45 and 5.56 offerings.

I think the only real difference is the barrels. GF3 are nitride. GF4 are "in house" hammer forged and GF5 are hammer forged made by FN.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Some of these premium models have an ALG trigger. At least that seems to be the case with the 5.45 and 5.56 offerings.

I think the only real difference is the barrels. GF3 are nitride. GF4 are "in house" hammer forged and GF5 are hammer forged made by FN.

Thanks!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Here's something interesting. PSA has added a couple extra Chinese AKs to the line.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ak-47/type-56.html

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Here's something interesting. PSA has added a couple extra Chinese AKs to the line.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ak-47/type-56.html

MAC had good things to say about them.

$599 for a PSA 5.56 AK

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...d-carrier.html

Ad says Toolcraft bolt and trunion...
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    $599 for a PSA 5.56 AK

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...d-carrier.html

Ad says Toolcraft bolt and trunion...
    Is that good or bad? I don’t know anything about it, so would like to know.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rack View Post
    Is that good or bad? I don’t know anything about it, so would like to know.
    Toolcraft is known to make high quality bolts and parts for ARs so it’s probably a pretty safe bet that their AK parts are top quality as well. The AK gets a lot of crap about being “cheap” but in reality the tooling to produce spec AKs is extremely costly and many US AKs have suffered from low strength parts especially front trunions (the part that holds the barrel in the receiver) and bolts. Palmetto has gained a pretty good reputation from AK enthusiasts for their ever improving quality clone rifles. So in short to be able to get a high quality AK clone these days for $600 and change is pretty remarkable.

User Tag List