Page 81 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the AK

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Can’t blame the Serbs for having no love for NATO.

I think you made a good call with the WBP though. While I’ve been quite happy with my Zastava guns, I’ve never seen a Polish AK that I didn’t want to take home and it’s a real AKM pattern which is an advantage over the Yugo pattern when it comes to accessories.

I’m telling all my “AK Curious” friends to buy Polish when they ask me what gun to buy.

Now if only Atlantic would get more 556 Beryls in (they got a small batch of 762 ones that sold out in milliseconds) and I’ll buy one in a heartbeat.
    Historically very fair, but even they ought to be able to see Putin for what he is at this point. Wishful thinking on my part, clearly. Politics ain't that clean.

I would have been totally happy with the Zastava aside from the politics, I think the Maple ZPAP looks killer and seems to run well. But then I saw the Fox/Jack and they just look so dang CLEAN.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Made me lol...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Vending Machine Operator

Current state of the AK

I have finally firmly decided on the WBP Fox in dark red wood. Grabbed a case of 7.62. So of course they're out of stock everywhere now.

Time to save my pennies and wait.

Is there an accepted "Pmag-reliable" magazine solution for the AK? I know that the Pmags work and have a couple but some magazine wells are fussy with them. My old WASR I sold really didn't get along with them too well. Functional but was always a fight releasing them. The array of AK magazine choices is fairly dizzying.

Edit: okay, not that dizzying, Bulgarian Circle 10 polymer with steel reinforcement is the answer I’m seeing pretty much everywhere, so I ordered a couple.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 08-30-2022 at 11:02 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I have finally firmly decided on the WBP Fox in dark red wood. Grabbed a case of 7.62. So of course they're out of stock everywhere now.

Is there an accepted "Pmag-reliable" magazine solution for the AK? I know that the Pmags work and have a couple but some magazine wells are fussy with them. My old WASR I sold really didn't get along with them too well. Functional but was always a fight releasing them. The array of AK magazine choices is fairly dizzying.
    The AK magazine was always one of the strengths of the system and it never needed an aftermarket fix like the AR. Any steel European AK mags should run great as long as they aren’t dented or so rusted inside that the follower gets stuck. The downside here is that they ain’t light. One thing to watch for is Yugo mags that have a follower that holds the bolt open. I don’t care for that design as it’s simply the bolt smashing into the follower and when you take out the mag the bolt goes home. But others like that system and I haven’t heard of it causing any major problems.

The Bulgarian circle 10 mags have been the standard for available polymer mags, but they ain’t cheap and can be hard to find.

I don’t have much experience with newer mags on the market because my surplus ones have never given me problems.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    The AK magazine was always one of the strengths of the system and it never needed an aftermarket fix like the AR. Any steel European AK mags should run great as long as they aren’t dented or so rusted inside that the follower gets stuck. The downside here is that they ain’t light. One thing to watch for is Yugo mags that have a follower that holds the bolt open. I don’t care for that design as it’s simply the bolt smashing into the follower and when you take out the mag the bolt goes home. But others like that system and I haven’t heard of it causing any major problems.

The Bulgarian circle 10 mags have been the standard for available polymer mags, but they ain’t cheap and can be hard to find.

I don’t have much experience with newer mags on the market because my surplus ones have never given me problems.
    Thanks Caballo! Circle 10 seems to be the go-to, so I grabbed a couple. Wilson-level silly pricing but I don’t like to mess around with magazines.

Now, to twiddle my thumbs for however long it takes for WBPs to be back in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: okay, not that dizzying, Bulgarian Circle 10 polymer with steel reinforcement is the answer I’m seeing pretty much everywhere, so I ordered a couple.
    PSA has 7.62 for $6.99/box. Something Something Ordnance. Made in Bulgaria. Tannish orangish box

Any surplus mag will work fine. Pick a country that sounds good to you. All excellent, even beat up ones. Never had an interest in the (10) when surplus were $5 ea. Different story today but as long as surplus is cheaper than the (10) Ill stick to them.
    Last edited by 4RNR; 08-30-2022 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post

Thanks Caballo! Circle 10 seems to be the go-to, so I grabbed a couple. Wilson-level silly pricing but I don’t like to mess around with magazines.

Now, to twiddle my thumbs for however long it takes for WBPs to be back in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The new mags from PSA have been well received by some of the AK community. Even guys who don't care for PSA guns seem to like the mags okay. They are reinforced with metal at the locking points and also the feed lips. And they run about $25 so not terrible.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I apologize in advance if this question marks me as the AK noob that I am, but are there any sources worth checking to obtain a bulged front trunnion suitable for a 1.5mm receiver? My current internet search is failing me.

It's not that I just have to have the big trunnion, but I am interested in the thicker of the stamped receivers instead of making the jump all the way to something like the Sharps milled receivers.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    I apologize in advance if this question marks me as the AK noob that I am, but are there any sources worth checking to obtain a bulged front trunnion suitable for a 1.5mm receiver? My current internet search is failing me.

It's not that I just have to have the big trunnion, but I am interested in the thicker of the stamped receivers instead of making the jump all the way to something like the Sharps milled receivers.
    I’d look for a M70 parts kit. There are some floating around.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 08-30-2022 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Did not understand the question at first

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post

Out of curiosity what are you hoping for out of the thicker receiver? Do you have a parts kit you’re looking to build?

User Tag List