Page 76 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the AK

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Any experience with the AC-Unity magazines? My own experience with their 7.62 and 5.45 mags would guide me toward them for their 5.56 mags especially at the price. Bulgarian 5.56 mags are insanely expensive.
    No experience although I would like to try a couple. At ~ $14 they are probably a good deal.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Any experience with the AC-Unity magazines? My own experience with their 7.62 and 5.45 mags would guide me toward them for their 5.56 mags especially at the price. Bulgarian 5.56 mags are insanely expensive.
    the 5.56 lock in and run fine in my registered SLR-106 Krink, the 7.62's run fine but some need a bit of filing or an extra shove to seat in my SLR-107

No idea how durable they are going to be, had mine about 6 months

the 5.56 lock in and run fine in my registered SLR-106 Krink, the 7.62's run fine but some need a bit of filing or an extra shove to seat in my SLR-107

No idea how durable they are going to be, had mine about 6 months and run them 2-3 times

My 7.62's are the bolt hold open version and that works well

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    No experience although I would like to try a couple. At ~ $14 they are probably a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post

No idea how durable they are going to be, had mine about 6 months
    I’ve been running 3 AC Unity 762x39 magazines pretty hard for the past year and a half. Due to them being limited to 10 rounds they have seen more cycles than your typical magazine would in the 1200 or so rounds that have been through them.

As you would expect from their former Yugoslavia origins (AC Unity are made in Bosnia), they fit perfectly in the ZPAP M70. They fit a little tight around the rear locking lug in my Arsenal SA93.

They have been 100% reliable. Probably about half way through their life so far, the followers on two of them developed cracks which eventually resulted in the follower breaking exposing the spring as shown. Since they are range mags I’ve continued to used them and they have continued to function 100%. I’ve tried to source some new followers for them but given the round about way they go from free mag to neutered 10 round magazine no one wants to warranty them so I’ll continue to used them as is until the mag bodies or lips die out.

So my verdict? Given their price, they make a good range magazine or training magazine. As a magazine for long term use, I would look elsewhere unless you figure in the price and buy 2x -3x the number of magazines you think you need. As a military magazine I am under the impression that these are designed under the philosophy of a “disposable magazine.”

Name:  CAAF077B-FD52-48A7-B9D4-FE3A1C22163C.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  31.7 KB

As for AK magazines in general - I agree with most of the others in that the military magazines are the way to go. In steel that includes pretty much all of the major nations. I have a handful of “grandfathered” E German and Chi-Coms that have worked well for years with one of the Chi-Coms that never worked right being used for parts. I have a couple neutered Croatian magazines with the bold hold open that have worked well with the limited number of rounds I’ve put through them and seem well constructed though Rob Ski has reported some fit issues with the early ones. As far as polymer magazines, I’ve had good luck with the Magpul 10 rounders.

With the arrival of my new 556 AK and seeing the bottom of my case of 762x39 ammo, I’m about to put my M70 back in the gun safe and start shooting the 556. I have a mixture of Radom, WBP, and Zastava magazines so will report as time goes forward.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 02-26-2022 at 02:51 PM.

Might be a good idea to try the Pod Arms 5.56 conversion followers. That is if you have a few 5.45 surplus mags lying around.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Might be a good idea to try the Pod Arms 5.56 conversion followers. That is if you have a few 5.45 surplus mags lying around.

I never jumped on the 545x39. I would love to have one but when it came to buying a small caliber AK (although ironically my first AK was a Valmet in 556 which is it’s own adventure in mags) I decided to go 556 given the fact that it will be one round that will probably be easily available for a long time.

Looking for advice on Yugo M92 PAP pistols. Will be picking one up Friday, my first AK.

Seller says it has:

SB Tactical folding triangle brace
    KNS Piston
    Ultimak Rail
    ALG AKT trigger
    Griffin Armament flash hider
    Holosun red dot

Seller notes it has been threaded 1/2x28 and comes with Zastava magazine

Asking $1000

Thoughts on the parts and/or the price? Things to check? Something else I should ask?

If the purchase is made:

Who is the go-to for mags? Are the optic mounts that go on the top cover hinge a better solution than the Ultimak?
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Looking for advice on Yugo M92 PAP pistols. Will be picking one up Friday, my first AK.

Seller says it has:

SB Tactical folding triangle brace
    KNS Piston
    Ultimak Rail
    ALG AKT trigger
    Griffin Armament flash hider
    Holosun red dot

Seller notes it has been threaded 1/2x28 and comes with Zastava magazine

Asking $1000

Thoughts on the parts and/or the price? Things to check? Something else I should ask?

If the purchase is made:

Who is the go-to for mags? Are the optic mounts that go on the top cover hinge a better solution than the Ultimak?
    Atlantic has PAP M92s for $549 right now. Looking at what they are including - it doesn't sound like a Gonga Deal to me.

I just purchased my third ZPAP - an M90 in 556. The previous two were 762 guns. The first was the first "Gen" with the 0.9mm AKM trunion and the second the newer "gen" with the 1.5mm reciever, bulged trunion and chrome lined barrel. Just like every other AK I've ever owned (Arsenal and WASR - The Valmet doesn't count), there have been some minor issues out of the box. The first ZPAP got a dead trigger at about 200 rounds due to the sheet metal around the trigger interfering with the reset - a quick file and it was solved never to return. The second one required the front sight post to go almost to the full side of travel to get a zero and my M90 has required me to stake the front sight barrel to keep it from wandering. I wish I could say they have been trouble free but not. Still way WAY better guns out of the box than the two Romanian guns I had the misfortune of owning. As RobSki says - if you expect perfection out of the box that the "AK is NOT for you!"

My advice would be to try to get a lower price unless you do the math and think the extra $450 is worth the sum of the parts. Also make sure the gun is a ZASTAVA USA gun and NOT a Century gun. ZASTAVA USA seems to have better customer service and supposedly better QC although many will tell you they are all crap.... Despite the nay sayers the guns seem to be doing well for the various YouTube gun guys like Rob Ski. I put about 1200 rounds through my 1st ZPAP and other than the trigger issue solved early on its been 100% reliable. The second ZPAP is a little over 800 rounds now and no issues.

The triggers on all three of my PAPs have cleaned up after a couple hundred rounds and are pretty decent - I like them better than my G2 trigger on my Arsenal. I am not in any hurry to swap them out.

That's my experience with PAPs.

As for mags, it's been discussed above but just about mil-spec/surplus or quality US made mag is going to run well in 762x39.

As for mounts - the Ultimak rail is a good option, especially on a short gun. If you want a side rail then wait for all the planets to allign on the third moon on the third pastoral night and you might be lucky enough to get an RS Regulate mount. They are hands down the best reviewed. One thing to be careful of - Yugo guns have a different rail location and require a Yugo specific mount for the optic to sit right.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 03-08-2022 at 09:08 PM.

I'll Add

When you go to look at/pick up the gun - here is what I would look for based on my experience with PAPs and AKs in general. Zastava does a decent zero at the factory - so if you see the front sight post to the far right or left of the front sight assembly - its a good indication you have a canted sight base - in that case try and get a different gun. Also check for any mashed or rivets that have gaps. Dry fire it if they will let you - I once brought a WASR home from a store that wouldn't let me dry fire and the fire control pins were all out of sorts. Make sure the furniture is fairly secure, especially the Ultimak rail and if you can test fit a few different magazines, not just the one he supplies to make sure the mag well has been opened up correctly.

Rob Ski on the AK operators union has a much better "what to look for" than I could ever do.

@Suvorov,

Thank you.

I don't think I'll get a side mount rail. Too bulky. I am wanting to know about this type of optic rail set up though:

FWIW, this is the model that most resembles the picture I received: https://atlanticfirearms.com/zastava...-folding-brace
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

User Tag List