Page 68 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the AK

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I followed your lead here and picked up one of those K-Var 107R's as I do not own any ex-commie made imports and I fear the worst is coming in terms of their future importation. I was able to convince Mrs. Fatdog she bought it for my birthday this week.
    Of course just more rampant speculation similar to mine on the part of many others causing this, but the price of those has jumped $200 on the K-var site since the day my order went in on 1/4.

Even with that price increase, a friend from my gun club ordered one today after we had talked about it when I was out testing mine. Today he emailed and pointed out to me what a "great deal" I got.

I plead guilty to rumor mongering and stampeding the herd. It would be justice if nothing happens and the price falls back to $800 by summer and they continue to flow into the country, would serve me right for being a speculator.

Site Supporter
    Anyone using a MagPul handguard? Thoughts? I wouldn't mind being able to get my hand a little further forward. Would mount a light and forward sling point.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Anyone using a MagPul handguard? Thoughts? I wouldn't mind being able to get my hand a little further forward. Would mount a light and forward sling point.
    I bought the gun I did, Palmetto, largely because of the Magpul furniture. Sadly, I haven't shot the thing so can't comment on how good/bad they are. But I love the way it points in my living room!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Which one? I have used both and I like them but if I could go back and do it over again I wouldn't put the Zhukov on my first WASR just because you have to cut off the handguard retainer. They're great for Saigas but does that even matter at this point? I have a few MOE handguards and I like them.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Which one? I have used both and I like them but if I could go back and do it over again I wouldn't put the Zhukov on my first WASR just because you have to cut off the handguard retainer. They're great for Saigas but does that even matter at this point? I have a few MOE handguards and I like them.
    I was looking at the longer one.

Zhukov HG is heavy and requires chopping the HG retainer. I do not like them. The shorter MOE HG is great. My choice for extended HG is the RS Regulate GKR-10MS but I’m biased.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Name:  AK_Draco_SBR_Zeroing2_BattleCompFlash2.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  61.2 KB

My current 'modernized' AK. Started life as a Draco, and I had LRK Mechanical up in Prescott install a Russian triangle sidefolder, ALG trigger, and a Sabrewerks 13 KOP system. I added a Magpul forend, VFG and PG, one of the RD triangle stock pouches (carries a cleaning kit and a copy of my form 1), Primary Arms micro clone, Vickers sling, and a Battlecomp AKBC to round it out. I generally keep it with a Hungarian 20rd mag for compactness' sake.

The AKBC makes a huge difference in controlability, though it makes an already blasty gun a bit more blasty (loads of fun on the low ports out here in the dusty desert). All in all, it's about as heavy as my 11.5" AR with LPVO, with less capability... but it's fun as all hell, which was the entire point of the exercise.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Site Supporter
    For all the AK guys out there, and especially any of our AR folks who bought an AK just to have it around. Now is the time of year to put on your biggest, thickest, warmest set of winter gloves and run some drills either live or dry and discover why a lot of the AK ergonomics are the way they are.

Everything from the skinny pistol grip to the goofy safety lever start to make a lot more sense when you add in big gloves and cold hands. It’s almost like they had just fought a long ass war in extreme cold weather for extended periods of time and had an idea about what worked in that environment.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

I was looking at the longer one.
    The longer one is the Zhukov which is available in two different lengths. Both require removal of the front handguard retainer. Cutting it off with a Dremel isn't hard but there's no going back after that.

I also tried a Troy extended AK handguard which uses the front retainer but it's a pain to install and just strikes me as something that might work lose. Next time I'm in the market for an extended AK handguard I'll probably get the RS Regulate. If @Hizzie likes it then it's gotta be good. I've seen plenty of other folks that are happy with them also.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    The longer one is the Zhukov which is available in two different lengths. Both require removal of the front handguard retainer. Cutting it off with a Dremel isn't hard but there's no going back after that.

I also tried a Troy extended AK handguard which uses the front retainer but it's a pain to install and just strikes me as something that might work lose. Next time I'm in the market for an extended AK handguard I'll probably get the RS Regulate. If @Hizzie likes it then it's gotta be good. I've seen plenty of other folks that are happy with them also.
    I’ve shot guns with the magpul Zhukov. Hated the even worse forward bias in balance.

I’ve shot the TDI aluminum mlok. The hottest, most finger burning-est, HG I’ve tried.

I’ve owned and used MI, Troy, SLR and RS Regulate. The RS are extremely lightweight and handle heat the best of any rail I’ve ever seen. They accept OEM heat shield (probably has something to do with how well it handles heat) and allows you to keep your cleaning rod.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List