Page 6 of 109 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the AK

Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    My AKs are all Arsenals and in 7.62. Is there any reason for a US civilian to get a 5.45x39 ?
    I had one a few years ago when ammo was cheap ($109/1000). One great value was recreational. Shooting at rocks at dusk produced showers of sparks that were fun to see. Much like hollywood bullets, but the bi-metal jackets and mild steel cores did make good shows. I shot up some cars with it at the dump, most went through both sides that I could tell (also entertaining).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    My AKs are all Arsenals and in 7.62. Is there any reason for a US civilian to get a 5.45x39 ?
    Not anymore, now that the cheap surplus ammo is cut off. But if you already have one, like I do, there is no reason to get rid of it. They shoot well and the commercial ammo (Wolf etc) is still reasonable.

5.56mm AKs can be very nice - if they run.

Therein lies the rub.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    5.56mm AKs can be very nice - if they run.

Therein lies the rub.
    No experience with one, but I've always read the same thing.

LAV did a video some years ago on a modernized AK and used a slick little SLR-107cr in 5.56. He even made mention of the reduced reliability vs. the 7.62x39. I'll see if I can find it.

ETA:

Last edited by StraitR; 01-29-2016 at 07:40 PM.

I had one of the Arsenal Sam-5s .223 AKs for a few years. Ran like a scalded dog. Really regret selling it. Loved that rifle.
    Last edited by Lon; 01-29-2016 at 08:12 PM.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I'd say the SA M5 is a pretty well-regarded design as far as reliability. I had one that ran perfectly, but for some reason it just wasn't an accurate rifle. The stamped SLR-106 series were plagued with problems when they first came out. One of the big issues is that unlike the 7.62 and 5.45mm guns, there's not a lot of standardization. At least one has a proprietary bolt size (the Romanian SAM 3 I believe) and magazines are a real crap shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    The "top tier" guys in Russia have done a remarkable job trying to M4 the AK out.

At this point, I think National Pride is the only thing keeping them from just using M4's, and I wonder why anyone else bothers to use the AK, barring "It's what we have" and "It's for my fun".
    There's a lot of things there I don't understand - would someone mind explaining?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I'd say the SA M5 is a pretty well-regarded design as far as reliability. I had one that ran perfectly, but for some reason it just wasn't an accurate rifle. The stamped SLR-106 series were plagued with problems when they first came out. One of the big issues is that unlike the 7.62 and 5.45mm guns, there's not a lot of standardization. At least one has a proprietary bolt size (the Romanian SAM 3 I believe) and magazines are a real crap shoot.
    With that said, my SAM 7SF is as accurate as anything out there. It is a sub MOA rifle with Hornady ammo. It changed my mind on how good AK's can be when done right.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

My SA M7 is a very accurate gun.

I'd say the SA M5 is a pretty well-regarded design as far as reliability. I had one that ran perfectly, but for some reason it just wasn't an accurate rifle.
    Mine was a sub moa rifle at 100 yards after I put an aimpoint on it. I didn't like the irons, but I haven't found any AK factory irons I have liked.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List