Page 54 of 109 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the AK

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    For most people with a standard side mount the AK301M/AKML/Micro RDS combination will be the ticket. Personally I prefer 30mm RDS over the Mirco’s. Another member here prefers a rear biased micro to deal with his astigmatism.

I know RS isn’t cheap. My username is a discount code. Alternatively you can find used deals on the various message boards or FB AK groups.
    What combination is recommended without a standard side mount? There is the MI up thread and the Ultimak. I wasn’t aware of the MI so I’m sure I’m missing something else too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    What combination is recommended without a standard side mount? There is the MI up thread and the Ultimak. I wasn’t aware of the MI so I’m sure I’m missing something else too.
    Ultimak > MI

I used to recommend the AK Master Mount but a buddy ended up having issues with his.

Another option is to have a qualified gunsmith install a quality side mount plate.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I’m biased but I used RS Regulate for years in classes before coming on board. They are the best option available. The AK is already front heavy. Anything extra out front exacerbates this. I’ve used the MI Handguard with T1 upper. It sits higher than you expect. The barrel clamp is a giant heat sink and it gets damn hot.

I can try to answer any questions that anyone may have about RS, running optics on the AK or mounting weapon lights to the AK.
    Curious what is your standard solution for mounting a light on a regular AK?

Also:
    I converted a Saiga years ago. It runs great, and it groups well with Golden Tiger, but I've never done anything about optics or the stock handguard because I didn't want to add too much weight. I thought the MI handguard would be an easy solution for the handguard problem on a Saiga. Any advice for my specific situation?

I tend to carry my rifles over long distances in the wilderness more than I shoot extended sessions with a very high rate of fire. That's why I'm more worried about overall weight than most people who are predominantly shooting a high volume at the range and always using a vehicle to tote them around.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post

Also:
    I converted a Saiga years ago. It runs great, and it groups well with Golden Tiger, but I've never done anything about optics or the stock handguard because I didn't want to add too much weight. I thought the MI handguard would be an easy solution for the handguard problem on a Saiga. Any advice for my specific situation?

I tend to carry my rifles over long distances in the wilderness more than I shoot extended sessions with a very high rate of fire. That's why I'm more worried about overall weight than most people who are predominantly shooting a high volume at the range and always using a vehicle to tote them around.

Some nice light mounts if you don't want a whole new handguard. I have the lower one and it tucks a 1" light tight against the gun nicely.
    https://khybercustoms.com/accessory-mounts/

https://khybercustoms.com/akm-yugo-light-mounts/

Never tried the MI handguard myself. The Magpul Zhukov works well for a Saiga but it's not the lightest thing out there. I've seen lots of guys just bolt a piece of pic rail to a stock Saiga handguard.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    I used to recommend the AK Master Mount but a buddy ended up having issues with his.
    What kind of issues? The kind that developed over time? I ask because I am currently using one on an Arsenal SLR and want to know what to look for if it’s going to start failing on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For most people with a standard side mount the AK301M/AKML/Micro RDS combination will be the ticket. Personally I prefer 30mm RDS over the Mirco’s. Another member here prefers a rear biased micro to deal with his astigmatism.

I know RS isn’t cheap. My username is a discount code. Alternatively you can find used deals on the various message boards or FB AK groups.
    That's me, and mounting it closer to my eye (as seen in pics upthread) cured the "looking through a dark straw" effect I get when mounting micros at the most forward end of AR receivers. I did just remove that T-2 for a new PDW (also now mounted closer to my eye), so I'm back to irons on the AK for now.

I do believe RS Regulate is the way to go, particularly for those who prefer to keep things light. I have a buddy that runs the MI mount (for MRO), and he hasn't had issues with it, but he has said he'll spend more for the RS mount on future AK's.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post

Also:

RS Regulate BM1 with Vltor/6P or Thorntail/Scout has become my default for a plain rifle. Now add an Mlok HG and I like the IWC SMC with a Scout.

So for an unconverted front end Saiga I would go for something from Carolina Shooters Supply. I ran this with an IWC Radial Mount/Scout combo. https://www.carolinashooterssupply.c...e-ar-slots.htm

http://instagram.com/p/BmBm9_QHRyt/

http://instagram.com/p/BltG1-nHF6v/

http://instagram.com/p/BltDmlvnpaG/

http://instagram.com/p/BeL63v_j830/
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    What kind of issues? The kind that developed over time? I ask because I am currently using one on an Arsenal SLR and want to know what to look for if it’s going to start failing on me.

Ended up not being parallel to bore. Couldn’t zero.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    Ended up not being parallel to bore. Couldn’t zero.
    Ah, OK. That would be super annoying. I had no issues zeroing with mine, so I should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    So I'm intrigued by these, but I think I'm about to order the standard
    PSAK-47 GF3 FORGED ZHUKOV RIFLE, GRAY

because
    1. it's available and the "enhanced" isn't
    2. it's $240 less expensive
    3. I'm not sure how much I'll really shoot the thing (this is largely a "want" and a "pre-election panic" purchase)

My question is, am I missing anything or buying into any potential issues with the "Zhukov"? Does the furniture actually suck, is the folding stock a pain to use, does the longer handguard add weight for no reason... anything else I might be missing?

Also, what else should I get while I'm getting. Pretty sure I have ammo and mags from the last AK I owned. Any particular "new" mags that I should get while I'm getting? is there a partilcar P-mag that's good/bad? One that's "serious" and one that's "training"?

Attachment 49894
    Picked this up today. Was obviously trying to get in and out ASAP. Looks pretty cool so far. I don't think I realized that the stock was adjustable. Nor did I know that it has that "bolt hold" notch where you can pull it back, ease it forward, and the bolt will stay open until you really rack it or it gets bumped hard. That was something I had completely forgotten about in AKs and didn't realize was a feature of this gun.

It included one mag of unknown pedigree. I'll have to get further into the box later.

User Tag List