Page 53 of 108 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the AK

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    Is the Ultimak still the go to optics mounting solution? At some point I wouldn’t mind dots on at least my Arsenal.
    I've not used it yet, but because I like lightweight rifles, I've been looking real hard at the Midwest Industries Gen2 handguard with T1 direct-mount top cover. However, my gun budget just went to zero because of kung flu.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com...-akg2-umt1.htm

It's only 7.5 oz without an optic. I don't think it would heat up quite as fast as the Ultimak, which may or may not matter to you. You also gain the ability to mount a light via M-lok, so that makes it a nice all-in-one solution if you want a micro-dot sight, light, and sling mount (it has integrated qd sling sockets). You can also order the top section for other optic footprints, but I'm not sure which others will let you used the irons through the optic. I believe you can do so with the T1 and varients/clones. Military Arms YouTube channel has done a review. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8W0HuHKBOQ

I think RS Regulate has some high quality side rail mount options if you want to go that direction. A P-F member affiliated with their company posted in this thread above ^

I’m biased but I used RS Regulate for years in classes before coming on board. They are the best option available. The AK is already front heavy. Anything extra out front exacerbates this. I’ve used the MI Handguard with T1 upper. It sits higher than you expect. The barrel clamp is a giant heat sink and it gets damn hot.

I can try to answer any questions that anyone may have about RS, running optics on the AK or mounting weapon lights to the AK.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

all dressed up and no place to go (in other words, ammo and mags but nothing to put it in).
    ETA:
    I do see on PSA's site that the order is "shipped" although the UPS site says "waiting for package" or whatever. At least it's a sign there's movement. Question is, will the shop even be open to receive it...

mags arrived yesterday
    https://www.cdnnsports.com/ak-762x39....html?___SID=U

Name:  IMG_1878.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  61.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1879.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  47.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1880.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  58.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1881.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  65.4 KB

All the relevant parts appear to be steel...

Name:  IMG_1886.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1885.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  61.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1884.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  52.6 KB

I'm pretty sure there was a puff of mummy dust when I cracked open these two ammo cans. They haven't been opened in at least 5 years. I completely forgot about the stuff on stripper clips. I bought that years ago when I was wanting to get an SKS and a case of stripper-clipped ammo just to stash away somewhere.

Name:  IMG_1887.jpg
Size:  64.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1889.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  71.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    I’m biased but I used RS Regulate for years in classes before coming on board. They are the best option available. I can try to answer any questions that anyone may have about RS, running optics on the AK or mounting weapon lights to the AK.
    I'm interested in learning, but man the pricing is daunting, as are frankly all the different options and combinations of various lower mounts, upper mounts, forward, middle and rear bias, different lengths...

I don't know that I'm in the market to put an RDS on my impending PSA Zhukov, but if I was, what would you recommend as the "easy button" both in terms of optic, combination of mounting parts, cost, lowest dot height, and weight?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    all dressed up and no place to go (in other words, ammo and mags but nothing to put it in).
    ETA:
    I do see on PSA's site that the order is "shipped" although the UPS site says "waiting for package" or whatever. At least it's a sign there's movement. Question is, will the shop even be open to receive it...

mags arrived yesterday
    https://www.cdnnsports.com/ak-762x39....html?___SID=U

Name:  IMG_1878.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  61.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1879.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  47.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1880.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  58.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1881.jpg
Size:  65.4 KB

All the relevant parts appear to be steel...

Name:  IMG_1886.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1885.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  61.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1884.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  52.6 KB

I'm pretty sure there was a puff of mummy dust when I cracked open these two ammo cans. They haven't been opened in at least 5 years. I completely forgot about the stuff on stripper clips. I bought that years ago when I was wanting to get an SKS and a case of stripper-clipped ammo just to stash away somewhere.

Name:  IMG_1887.jpg
Size:  64.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1889.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  71.9 KB
    The m67 is good ammo, but corrosive. I always washed my rifle out with a garden hose after shooting it and never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I’m back and forth on keeping my SAM7R. I like it but I never shoot it, and seems like the money I could get for it could go towards some things that’d get much more use. Wish the market was stronger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like other markets; "Buy fear, sell greed."

With the coming apocalypse, just wait until it is well underway and you can sell the SAM7R (greedy people will want it) for several ounces of gold.

Just remember, the real money is in the ammo. One ounce of silver per bullet.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Like other markets; "Buy fear, sell greed."

With the coming apocalypse, just wait until it is well underway and you can sell the SAM7R (greedy people will want it) for several ounces of gold.

Just remember, the real money is in the ammo. One ounce of silver per bullet.
    I actually sold it last weekend to an LGS. Didn’t get anywhere near what I wanted but I didn’t have to worry about finding a box and shipping or it even doing a transfer since CO requires that by law. I’m trying to sell the ammo and mags now, it’s surprisingly more difficult than I expected given online ammo sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great thread.

I’m eagerly waiting for the PSA experiences to trickle into P-F. I think the AK-V/AK-P duo would cover all my PDW/HD/S&G needs.

I also think the AK-V with the OEM brake would be fantastic for my wife.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Have we discussed sling strategy? I prefer a simple two point sling, but my usual strategy goes a little haywire with folders and underfolders.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'm interested in learning, but man the pricing is daunting, as are frankly all the different options and combinations of various lower mounts, upper mounts, forward, middle and rear bias, different lengths...

I don't know that I'm in the market to put an RDS on my impending PSA Zhukov, but if I was, what would you recommend as the "easy button" both in terms of optic, combination of mounting parts, cost, lowest dot height, and weight?
    For most people with a standard side mount the AK301M/AKML/Micro RDS combination will be the ticket. Personally I prefer 30mm RDS over the Mirco’s. Another member here prefers a rear biased micro to deal with his astigmatism.

I know RS isn’t cheap. My username is a discount code. Alternatively you can find used deals on the various message boards or FB AK groups.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List