Page 34 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the AK

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    I’m currently looking at the Century Arms C39V2 blade pistol. Anyone with first hand knowledge on these? I was going to build an AR pistol but 5.56 out of short barrel is not the best, and 300 Blk will get pricey with high volume shooting. This specific model popped up on my radar as I’m trying to keep the cost under a grand.
    Run away. They are cast and dangerous to operate. Many examples of them blowing up from loss of headspace in a few hundred rounds. Best advice, avoid any US made AK.

If you're looking for a relatively inexpensive AK pistol, get a Romanian Draco.
    Last edited by Casual Friday; 03-18-2019 at 11:35 AM.

Site Supporter
    I’m currently looking at the Century Arms C39V2 blade pistol. Anyone with first hand knowledge on these? I was going to build an AR pistol but 5.56 out of short barrel is not the best, and 300 Blk will get pricey with high volume shooting. This specific model popped up on my radar as I’m trying to keep the cost under a grand.
    I would look at the Polish AK pistols from Atlantic Firearms over anything made by Century. They dont come with the brace but they are in the mid $600s and they do come with a forward 1913 rail so you should be able to stay under a grand.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/pro...p-lynx-classic

If not a Draco.
    Last edited by HCM; 03-18-2019 at 11:44 AM.

The following are steaming piles of turd that borderline on dangerous:

Century RAS47
    Century C39
    Century C39 V2
    Century “American” Draco - any size

Too many reports of the guns going out of headspace in under 2k. Too many reports of rifles grenading. I would avoid the new VSAK too based on past performance.

The PSA have had many issues with reliability and durability too.

Too many guns with bad heat treat coming out of Zastava the past few years. PAP, NPAP, OPAP and M92 all randomly effected. No “safe” date range.

The Romanian, Cugir built, guns improved around 2012.

Arsenal ((10)) guns declined slightly.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    The following are steaming piles of turd that borderline on dangerous:

Century RAS47
    Century C39
    Century C39 V2
    Century “American” Draco - any size

Too many reports of the guns going out of headspace in under 2k. Too many reports of rifles grenading. I would avoid the new VSAK too based on past performance.

The PSA have had many issues with reliability and durability too.

Too many guns with bad heat treat coming out of Zastava the past few years. PAP, NPAP, OPAP and M92 all randomly effected. No “safe” date range.

The Romanian, Cugir built, guns improved around 2012.

Arsenal ((10)) guns declined slightly.
    I follow the AK stuff pretty closely because I have several of them - and this is the first I've read anywhere about the OPAP also being affected by the heat treat issue. Everything else I've seen indicated that PAP & NPAP models were the problematic ones, and M92's occasionally but uncommonly affected.

I have around ~4k through my OPAP with zero issues. I do periodically examine my AK's closely for egging FCG holes, barrel pin movement, etc just on principles I learned from dealing with some shoddy home built AK's over the years. I have about 1k through my M92 as well - no issues.

Do you have any guidance on what I can continue to examine to see if they're affected by the bad heat-treat?

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I follow the AK stuff pretty closely because I have several of them - and this is the first I've read anywhere about the OPAP also being affected by the heat treat issue. Everything else I've seen indicated that PAP & NPAP models were the problematic ones, and M92's occasionally but uncommonly affected.

I have around ~4k through my OPAP with zero issues. I do periodically examine my AK's closely for egging FCG holes, barrel pin movement, etc just on principles I learned from dealing with some shoddy home built AK's over the years. I have about 1k through my M92 as well - no issues.

Do you have any guidance on what I can continue to examine to see if they're affected by the bad heat-treat?
    Sounds like you are doing it right. I had heat treatment issues on one of my OPAP’s. FC holes started to egg, bullet guide was coming out. Bolt and BCG looked ok. Under 2k rounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I would look at the Polish AK pistols from Atlantic Firearms over anything made by Century. They dont come with the brace but they are in the mid $600s and they do come with a forward 1913 rail so you should be able to stay under a grand.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/pro...p-lynx-classic

If not a Draco.
    Looks like the Polish AK pistols are out stock. The Romainian Draco, imported by Century is available. Do the Polish AK come back in stock regularly?

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    Agreed, but AKs are already so fracking heavy, I can’t quite bring myself to put such a heavy optic on any of mine.
    I used to have a Trijicon TR21 on a BP-02 side mount on my milled receiver Arsenal. I did not care for the overall weight, either.

Site Supporter
    Looks like the Polish AK pistols are out stock. The Romainian Draco, imported by Century is available. Do the Polish AK come back in stock regularly?
    Atlantic Arms is the best source for stuff like that but stuff like that tends to come in batches and sell out quickly.

Best bet for an off-the-shelf option is the imported Draco - many vendors do not specify whether it's the US made or imported Draco, but the imported one is Century Arms product number HG1916-N

They're easily found around $600 from a variety of vendors that have them in-stock.

They come in in spurts. You'd have to get on the email list, and jump right away, I don't think many get imported at one time.

Draco's can always be found. #dracoseason

Site Supporter
    I’d call Atlantic or try gun broker.

User Tag List