Page 3 of 108 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the AK

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    It looks like Arsenals pretty much start at $1k these days, no?

I think for a lot of us the AK would fit into the "beater gun" role. It's a shame that we have to pay over-6920 prices to get 6920 potential.

Anyone have anything to say about these?

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp....html?Itemid=0
    Why pay that much for a used WASR 10 when you can get a new one for not much more than that? I can see the collectible factor for being "assigned" to contractors, but other than that I don't see the draw of these.

IMO the 6920 of the AK world is the SLR-107FR. Have one along with a SAM7R. The SAM7's action feels a little smoother because it's a milled receiver, but I don't think the weight gain over the SLR is worth it if you will be carrying it in any capacity.

What's "not much more"? It's been said in this thread that one should only buy a WASR if there's been some inspection, and to get an inspected WASR from the same vendor it's $600 vs. the $470 for used.
    http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp....html?Itemid=0

Another source for new WASRs at a price similar to the used ones linked-to?

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Arsenal Bulgaria or Arsenal US has told you this?
    Arsenal USA / K-Var
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Arsenal's Stamped guns are the 6920's of the AK world for me, while the milled are the higher end. The combination of Romanian slave labor and the assorted monkeys with tools at Century hits more along the lowest level of AR in my world. Given the choice, some of the older Yugoslavian stuff. If you can find something along the lines of an SA85M, they were very good, along with some of the higher end Chinese stuff.
    I'd agree with nyeti.

I'd go stamped and I'd go arsenal. I did at least, with an SGL21.

The market is flooded with AR's, so Colt's are going to go cheap. Whereas the SAIGA-12 being declared non sporting somehow associated all SAIGA's as now highly valuable, then compound that with the Russians sanctions cutting off all SAIGA's (which was the base for the SGL's), Arsenal's prices never dropped from the AWB scare, and moving all of their operations to Bulgaria. There are limited quality large Manufacturers of AKs.

Quality AK's aren't cheap. However, a company named Radom is coming on the scene in a major way and an AK fanatic I know seems to be very impressed. I might check them out as well. Some brief searching indicates they're still trying to import, etc.

That's the AK situation right now.

ETA: Basically, most Domestic AK makers largely rebuild from parts kits; which they're scraping the bottom of the barrel (Atlantic Arms has an Iraqi contractor parts kit AK). Most domestically made AK's don't have the best quality parts (the good ones are insanely expensive). Newly manufactured Foreign AK's that are imported have to basically go through a re manufacturing process here because they have to play the 922(r) game. Which requires two manufacturing sites.

For instance, doing a brief search for Radom seems they were looking for an import partner.

So AK's demand a premium currently.

ETA 2: Those SAIGA's in 7.62 were also the base gun for a lot of people (including Arsenal) for re manufacturing AK's.
    Last edited by BWT; 01-29-2015 at 10:52 AM.

I'd equate the 6920 to AK as an SGL21, with the SLR107 type being a bit more of a "SOCOM" model. It is something with a bit more features, but essentially the same gun.

The SAM7 is a nice gun and definitely near the top of the AK ladder, but being milled and not stamped will put a damper on what kind of aftermarket you can put on it especially in regards to the new Magpul offerings.

I'd put anything from Rifle Dynamics in the upper end Noveske/KAC category.

ETA: On the last AKs I had (an SLR106 & SLR107) I tried the US Palm/Midwest Industries optics mount/rail combo. I liked the optics mounting more and I also liked that my biggest gripe for the AK is heat build up on the support hand. My princess paws didn't like the heat that would come off the Ultimak rails or that would sometimes come off the hand guard retainer/sling attachment point. The full railed US Palm rail that I used covered the hand guard retainer and didn't transfer any heat the optic with the way it was mounted. I liked it a lot.
    Last edited by jwperry; 02-04-2015 at 05:27 PM.

Anyone know anything about the optic mount shown on this gun?

https://www.classicfirearms.com/papr...campaign=email

Specifically, will it work with the RS Regulate mounts?

Any other issues with this gun re: Magpul's furniture or the impending Geissele trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Anyone know anything about the optic mount shown on this gun?

https://www.classicfirearms.com/papr...campaign=email

Specifically, will it work with the RS Regulate mounts?

Any other issues with this gun re: Magpul's furniture or the impending Geissele trigger?
    Not sure, but the Yugoslavian guns are notorious for being different from everything else because.....they're Yugoslavian...;-)
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

"307 (Available Q1 2015)
    Full length base for the Yugoslavian pattern Kalashnikov"

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Not sure, but the Yugoslavian guns are notorious for being different from everything else because.....they're Yugoslavian...;-)
    Longer handguards
    Thicker barrel
    Yugo specific rear stock attachment
    Notorious for "Yugo cheek slap"
    Non chrome lined bore

My first Yugo was a M70AB2 underfolder and now I have two M70 OPAP rifles. They have/had the heavier RPK barrel trunnion and 1.5mm receiver. Stout but easy to shoot. Magpul plans on releasing Yugo specific versions of their new AK line.

Only complaint I have about the RS Regulate mounts is initially they told consumers the 310/311 would work for the Yugo rifles. While they do fit they are too high for cowitness.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

While we are on the subject of AK's, what about the mags that claim to lock the bolt back when the gun runs empty?
    Anyone have experience with which mags work and in which guns?
    I have a Zastava AK47 Serbian version that has the bolt lock back feature using the safety lever.

What are the options here?
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

User Tag List