Page 2 of 108 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the AK

That isn't limited to the AK....just sayin.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    I work with guys who think the WASR 10 is the be all end all of combat rifles. I don't know enough to really say but this seems waaaayyyy off.

Current state of the AK

The 6920 if the AK world is the Arsenal SLR107. The best of the best? Probably the SAM7 (like nyeti said). The WASR, too me, isn't a serious option (strictly based on the fact that NO century product should be trusted out of the box). With testing, a WASR can be trusted. Out of the box... Not so much (I've seem them as bad as mags wouldn't even lock in to them). A well tested/built AK is an awesome thing. An out of the box WASR is a coin toss. If you buy a decent Arsenal, you should be ok... But, for the same price, you could probably buy a decent AR.

FYI, if you want a 107 and don't have one, you might want to buy it now. Word is that a bunch of overseas contracts will have 107s tied up for the majority of next year.

Now, this comes from Arsenal themselves, so take it with a big brick of salt.
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by dookie1481 View Post
    FYI, if you want a 107 and don't have one, you might want to buy it now. Word is that a bunch of overseas contracts will have 107s tied up for the majority of next year.

Now, this comes from Arsenal themselves, so take it with a big brick of salt.
    Arsenal Bulgaria or Arsenal US has told you this?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    That isn't limited to the AK....just sayin.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I work with guys who think the WASR 10 is the be all end all of combat rifles. I don't know enough to really say but this seems waaaayyyy off.
    I work with a guy that asked my recommendation for a good basic defensive handgun for practice/home defense/eventual carry, and after I recommended a Glock 19 and some similar 9mm's, he started giving me the ages old speech about 9mm and why he thinks an S&W Governor is better. Our co-workers are not reliable sources of information. See the thread about the 99% of all gun owners in the Romper Room.

Similarly, what would you think about someone who thought a Colt 6920 was the 'be all end all' of combat rifles? I can't say my assessment of their firearms knowledge would be substantially different vs holding a WASR in the same regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    The 6920 if the AK world is the Arsenal SLR107. The best of the best? Probably the SAM7 (like nyeti said). The WASR, too me, isn't a serious option (strictly based on the fact that NO century product should be trusted out of the box). With testing, a WASR can be trusted. Out of the box... Not so much (I've seem them as bad as mags wouldn't even lock in to them). A well tested/built AK is an awesome thing. An out of the box WASR is a coin toss. If you buy a decent Arsenal, you should be ok... But, for the same price, you could probably buy a decent AR.
    The WASR isn't a Century product, it's imported by them and brought into compliance by them. While older WASR-10's could be pretty bad, I haven't seen anything outstandingly wrong on a WASR 10/63 aside from the occasional canted FSB, hence my recommendation as that being the '6920' of the AK world here in the US - it's easily accessible, built to military specs by the military manufacturer, and is the most direct analogue to the most common military models as is possible with our current laws.
    That said, it is produced by the CUGIR arsenal which seems to employ a lot of local Romanian alcoholics with astigmatism, hence the recommendation to inspect one in person before buying it, instead of simply ordering one from a distributor.

But if you think WASR's have problems, stay away from the GP1975's and other AK's that Century DOES make all themselves. Surprisingly, aside from the US made barrel and the problems that presents, I'm relatively impressed by the C39 as far as fit/finish/consistency is concerned - which is to say that they're not wildly inconsistent about parts fitment and QC/QA.

To be equally fair, though, the latest rounds of SLR's haven't exactly been 100% flawless out of the box, either. There's a reason a lot of folks specifically seek out the older SGL series Arsenal rifles built up from converted Saigas and avoid the newer stamped FIME-made SLR's.

Reliability, and trusting a weapon of any kind, is something that should ONLY be done after testing. Anyone that would trust a firearm out of the box, without any testing, only because of the brand name is already wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I don't doubt that AKs can be accurate enough. Reliable enough. Ergonomic enough. Effective enough. Fun enough.

I might even have a couple myself. Including the "upgrades", "accessories", & "improvements" versions.

The collectors, consumed by the countless variations, history, etc. are in a class by themselves.

But let us be honest with ourselves for a minute. These are not the majority of AKs. Nor are they the majority of AK owners. They are the few and far between. The "state of the AK" in this country is not determined by those who are serious shooters who know the proper role for their various platforms, nor the collectors who relish in the acquisition of a new variant. The bulk are "Bubba" guns, with "Bubba" add-ons, and bullshit claims on the internet with photos that no one will ever be able verify.
    Like nyeti said, not even remotely limited to AKs.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post

Reliability, and trusting a weapon of any kind, is something that should ONLY be done after testing. Anyone that would trust a firearm out of the box, without any testing, only because of the brand name is already wrong.
    Maybe. But (a) not all guns are used as weapons and (b) there are some that have a lower probability of failing than others.
    hence my question about the 6920 of AKs. What I was interested in hearing about is a gun that *could* be ordered from the Internet with a high degree of confidence that everything would be as it should, and which had all of the functional pieces required, if perhaps not all the latest gee whizz.

Arsenal's Stamped guns are the 6920's of the AK world for me, while the milled are the higher end. The combination of Romanian slave labor and the assorted monkeys with tools at Century hits more along the lowest level of AR in my world. Given the choice, some of the older Yugoslavian stuff. If you can find something along the lines of an SA85M, they were very good, along with some of the higher end Chinese stuff.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

It looks like Arsenals pretty much start at $1k these days, no?

I think for a lot of us the AK would fit into the "beater gun" role. It's a shame that we have to pay over-6920 prices to get 6920 potential.

Anyone have anything to say about these?

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp....html?Itemid=0

User Tag List