Page 12 of 109 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the AK

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    How does that work? The gun has the basic mount attached. Then you add the correct "arm" for your gun, then you add the optic mount, right? Which part comes off easily to swap optics? Do you need a new arm every time, or just the part that attaches the optic to the arm?
    The arm that holds the optic is screwed into the base mount. The base mount is a QD style clamp that grabs onto the side receiver rail. You can move the whole assembly from weapon to weapon by detaching and reattaching the QD clamp.

You would only change out the arm if you wanted a completely different optic, like going from a 30mm Aimpoint to a Micro.

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    The arm that holds the optic is screwed into the base mount. The base mount is a QD style clamp that grabs onto the side receiver rail. You can move the whole assembly from weapon to weapon by detaching and reattaching the QD clamp.

You would only change out the arm if you wanted a completely different optic, like going from a 30mm Aimpoint to a Micro.
    So it is a two part mount that stays attached to the optic, and you swap out the whole assembly? Given that the pricing on them is almost $200 (depending on version), it seems that the Texas top rail is actually a really good deal, since you can just swap QD mounted optics on that, and have a rear peep, if you prefer. Am I correct?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    So it is a two part mount that stays attached to the optic, and you swap out the whole assembly?
    Yep!

Incidentally, I had also considered the TWS top cover mount. In my specific case, though, I didn't already have a low mount for my Aimpoint. So if I had gone that route, I would have had to buy another item anyway.

Also, although I wasn't aware of any specific data that suggested that the top cover mount had design-intrinsic problems holding zero, it just seemed to my lay perception of such things that the RS Regulate mount would be more likely to fit properly without issue (AKs being what they are) and hold zero better.

Just to confirm SLG....your gun has a side rail on the left side of the receiver? The RS mount is essentially a highly evolved mount for the side rail guns. If you do not have the rail, then you will need one of the top mount systems.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Just to confirm SLG....your gun has a side rail on the left side of the receiver? The RS mount is essentially a highly evolved mount for the side rail guns. If you do not have the rail, then you will need one of the top mount systems.
    Correct, it is a Yugo that has the side rail mounted on the left side of the receiver.

Just because I'm AK obsessed, I won't let this thread die. :-)

Put the Zhukov on my NPAP. Works AWESOME! Unfortunately, none of the handguards will work, so it still has the wood on it. :-( You would think that a company that was going to release a Yugo specific folding stock, could also release a yugo specific forend...

RS Regulate mount for the 30mm Aimpoint is on its way. Pretty excited to try that out, and once it proves itself, a scope will be next. Likely the Primary Arms 1-6 with the BDC.

I already had the N-PAP from a few years ago, so it is the experimental gun. If I was going to do it over today, a SAM7 would be the way i would go for top end use. A Century 39V2 with the Zhukov stuff already installed is going for $800 in my area. Looks like a good lower end option.

Let's talk mags for a minute. Who makes the best today? My Chinese mags are by far the best I have seen, but they are of course unavaibale in 2016. I have a few Korean mags, and they are kind of rough. I HATE mags with the rib running down the middle of the back. What are the best mags out there today, preferably with a flat back. What about drum mags? I'm thinking a 75 rd rear feeding Russian drum, but I have no experience with them. Unless you count RPK's :-)

Polymer Bulgarian waffle mags are still the ones to beat, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Polymer Bulgarian waffle mags are still the ones to beat, IMO.
    Do you have a good source for them? They seem to be $45 plus. I certainly understand that quality mags cost, but I guess I'm spoiled by the quantities of really good M4 mags I have. Not to mention Glock mags... Even the best Sig and Beretta mags seem cheap by comparison.
    Last edited by SLG; 02-20-2016 at 09:22 PM.

I do not have a good source for them; I bought them back when they were cheap.

It'd be interested to do a head-to-head with the improved MagPul, the US Palm, and the Bulgarians.

Personal preference I suppose, but I absolutely hate all of the polymer AK mags. Lucky for me since I just grabbed a 10 pack of used Hungarian steel mags for $99.50.

Steel Flatbacks, Bulgarian Poly and Bakelite will cost you a small fortune. You can probably find a bulk pack of Magpul mags if you hate the spine that much. Version one if you don't care about the steel feed lips will be a lot cheaper.. But meh
    Last edited by GAP; 02-20-2016 at 10:40 PM.

User Tag List