Page 11 of 109 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the AK

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    For those with the Krebs "fast acquisition" rear sight - it is based on the 1,000 Meter rear - how far off is it at 200 or 300 meters if you install it on a rifle with the 800 meter rear sight ?

It is based on a 1000m sight. I've only replaced 1000m sights with it so far. I do have an AMD65 (800m sight) and an extra Krebs if you have a range and want to try.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    http://www.brownells.com/optics-moun...7cMake_3=AK-47

So for a 30mm aimpoint, what do I need?
    What rifle?
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I used an Ultimak for my 365 days of AK project for probably about 2/3 of the year. I had an H1 on it and had no issues, and in fact I came to believe that part of the reason for the AK reputation for accuracy issues has more to do with the difficulty of adjusting the sights than the sights themselves.

My thought going forward is to get an RS Regulate mount and another H1 on the eventual new AK, but I haven't seen one in person and the more I look at them the more it looks like they stick way the hell out the side. I think I may wind up back with another Ultimak. But I wouldn't use an Ultimak unless I was using an Aimpoint Micro as I don't think it would get a 30mm down low enough. I frankly don't think the RS would either. The advent of the Micro was what made optics on AKs viable IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    What rifle?
    Yugo.

If the micro is better I can go that way. I just like the bigger aimpoints, and figured for a receiver mount it would work out well.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Yugo.

If the micro is better I can go that way. I just like the bigger aimpoints, and figured for a receiver mount it would work out well.

OPAP / NPAP would need the 307 lower and 30mm rds would need the AKM upper.

30mm FOV
    http://instagram.com/p/_SMf1So2Kp/

Micro FOV
    http://instagram.com/p/8kRilPo2OG/

Once I can get a day to hit the range and re-zero I'll be swapping the micro over to the M10 since lightweight is the goal and putting the ML2 on my SAM7SF for the better view.
    Last edited by Tom_Jones; 02-16-2016 at 01:21 PM. Reason: embedded IG images
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I find these FOV discussions to be odd, and the pictures are certainly misleading. You can't replicate with a camera what your eyes actually see when using the optic.

That said, I too prefer the 30mm in most cases. Not because of "field of view" but because of "angle of view". But, on the AK, no matter what mount you use, I find the 30mm to put the dot too high for my head/neck.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I find these FOV discussions to be odd, and the pictures are certainly misleading. You can't replicate with a camera what your eyes actually see when using the optic.

That said, I too prefer the 30mm in most cases. Not because of "field of view" but because of "angle of view". But, on the AK, no matter what mount you use, I find the 30mm to put the dot too high for my head/neck.
    In a few days, my Yugo, which is my beater AK, will have the Zhukov stock on it, so cheek height should not be an issue.

I agree, FOV is not my concern. The Comp tubes are tougher than the Micro's. I find them easier to adjust. I find the dot faster to pick up, though we're talking probably unmeasurable differences. I've also carried Comps all over the world, and will always have a soft spot for them. When other guys optics were failing in harsh conditions, my Aimpoints kept working. Finally, I think the comp looks cool on the receiver, and since this AK is purely a fun gun for me, looks matter. My Polytech is kept in as issued form, so that if I need to train on an AK that is more representative of our enemies' guns, I can.

Hizzie,

Thanks for the info, I will lookat the mounts again.
    Last edited by SLG; 02-16-2016 at 09:50 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    My thought going forward is to get an RS Regulate mount and another H1 on the eventual new AK, but I haven't seen one in person and the more I look at them the more it looks like they stick way the hell out the side.
    I have an RS Regulate mount, and it doesn't stick out as much as one might think. I am able to fold the stock to the mount side of the receiver without interference by the mount.

It also allows the optic to mount essentially as low as the Ultimak - if there is a height difference, it is imperceptible to me.

I have the Ultimak, Midwest Ind., and the RS Regulate. By far my favorite is the RS Regulate. The others are nice, but the RS keeps the AK like an AK. Also, it comes off easily for other optics set-ups or to move to different guns. They were designed for contractors going overseas and issued AK's so that you had a good sight system you owned and kept possession of for armory issued guns. Running Micro's on the AK really changes the viability of them.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Also, it comes off easily for other optics set-ups or to move to different guns. They were designed for contractors going overseas and issued AK's so that you had a good sight system you owned and kept possession of for armory issued guns. Running Micro's on the AK really changes the viability of them.
    How does that work? The gun has the basic mount attached. Then you add the correct "arm" for your gun, then you add the optic mount, right? Which part comes off easily to swap optics? Do you need a new arm every time, or just the part that attaches the optic to the arm?

User Tag List