Page 108 of 109 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109 LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1083

Thread: Current state of the AK

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    An apparently decent and relatively inexpensive 5.56 AK

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    A year ago I saw a Pioneer underfolder at a gun store. It was absolutely beautiful, nice rivets, nice finish, and typical polish fit. I promptly put it on layaway. I didn't understand how it stayed off my radar but the thought of an European made AK for $800 was too good to pass up. When I got home I started researching them and what I found was hardly good. Rob Ski of AKOU had bad things to say about the IO guns (which were the predecessor to Pioneer) as did Mishaco who had NOTHING good to say. The first complaint is that Pioneer set up shop in the old FB Radom factory and was making use of the Radom name for marketing purposes and "implying" that these rifles were FB Radom guns when in reality they were more accurately commercial guns made in the old factory and with some of the same tooling as the historic "FB Radom" guns. The second issue (and the one that concerned me) was the fact that most of their guns at the time used cast barrel trunions and there were numerous reports of loss of headspace at relatively low round counts. They had recently switched production from cast trunions to forged trunions but after checking the gun I had placed on layaway had the cast trunion and I cancelled my layaway.

Fast forward 6 months or so and the forged trunion guns started hitting the market and Mishaco took one on for T&E. His results were that as much as he wanted to hate the rifle and wanted it to fail, it performed very well. Other reports of the forged rifles have been positive so I was eager to see how this rifle worked out for Klayco47. While street price on these rifles is quite a bit more that the $500 Klayco47 paid, they are still in the PSA price range and if results continue to be positive, may very well prove to be a good entry level gun. I am very tempted yet still hesitant.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 03-03-2024 at 05:55 PM.

Looks like PSA is finally releasing 7.62x39
    https://twitter.com/Shouse34/status/1772415902111170672
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Whats the state of optic mounts ? I had great success with the Ultimak series prior. Rifle does not have a side rail so may need modification to fit one. Alternatively I may just go with an ultimak again. Any idea hows the TWS system?

Quote Originally Posted by flux View Post
    Whats the state of optic mounts ? I had great success with the Ultimak series prior. Rifle does not have a side rail so may need modification to fit one. Alternatively I may just go with an ultimak again. Any idea hows the TWS system?
    Midwest has this

https://midwestindustriesinc.com/ak-...ini-dot-mount/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57XRsDmxQKM

RS Regulate makes hands down the best side rail mount in the industry. I've heard good things about AK Master Mount via AKOU as well. Both these mounts have several optic attachment options which can allow you to get a very low profile mount. I have a 2nd Generation Midwest mount which has held zero very well, but the Yugo model has fewer optic attachment options so I have a higher profile mount than I would like. For Yugo rifles I'd recommend RS Regulate or Master Mount. Master Mount also sells a side rail that can be retrofitted to rifles that do not have a side rail. Rob Ski of AKOU has apparently had good luck with this option on his Beryl.

I have a TWS Dogleg rail on my Beryl (it also lacks a side rail). I have been extremely happy with it so far. I've noted no shift in zero and it is solidly built. While it hasn't been in the trenches of Avdikka with me, I have run it fairly hard. I do worry about how resistant to zero shift it would be to a drop, but honestly I would have the same worries with an Ultimak or side mount for that matter. Then 2nd Gen TWS allows you to remove the entire dust cover when performing maintenance on the rifle eliminating the worry of it being damaged if dropped during cleaning. The TWS gives the lowest possible profile mounting option. It is interesting to note that it is not uncommon to see Russian "Alpha Types" with what appears to be TWS dust covers on their rifle and that the Ukrainians are manufacturing and selling what appears to be a direct copy of the 1st gen TWS rail.

The chassis rails such as the one 4RN has shown are a popular option as well, but I don't have any experience with them. I have thought about trying out a SureShot USA rail as SureShot is of Russian origin and domestically gives Zenitco a run for its money. The Midwest Industries chassis seems to be inspired heavily by the Zenitco rails and I've heard they are solid. Price (looking at $300+), compatibility issues with my Beryl and Yugo pattern rifles, and the added weight have prevented me from anything more than daydreaming. Ukrainian chassis rails are also being sold by AOA and may be worth a look. I'll also note that some of these systems with the cantilever optic mounts that extend over the dust cover appear to give a higher profile mounting than I would like.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 04-04-2024 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    RS Regulate makes hands down the best side rail mount in the industry. I've heard good things about AK Master Mount via AKOU as well. Both these mounts have several optic attachment options which can allow you to get a very low profile mount. I have a 2nd Generation Midwest mount which has held zero very well, but the Yugo model has fewer optic attachment options so I have a higher profile mount than I would like. For Yugo rifles I'd recommend RS Regulate or Master Mount. Master Mount also sells a side rail that can be retrofitted to rifles that do not have a side rail. Rob Ski of AKOU has apparently had good luck with this option on his Beryl.

I have a TWS Dogleg rail on my Beryl (it also lacks a side rail). I have been extremely happy with it so far. I've noted no shift in zero and it is solidly built. While it hasn't been in the trenches of Avdikka with me, I have run it fairly hard. I do worry about how resistant to zero shift it would be to a drop, but honestly I would have the same worries with an Ultimak or side mount for that matter. Then 2nd Gen TWS allows you to remove the entire dust cover when performing maintenance on the rifle eliminating the worry of it being damaged if dropped during cleaning. The TWS gives the lowest possible profile mounting option. It is interesting to note that it is not uncommon to see Russian "Alpha Types" with what appears to be TWS dust covers on their rifle and that the Ukrainians are manufacturing and selling what appears to be a direct copy of the 1st gen TWS rail.

The chassis rails such as the one 4RN has shown are a popular option as well, but I don't have any experience with them. I have thought about trying out a SureShot USA rail as SureShot is of Russian origin and domestically gives Zenitco a run for its money. The Midwest Industries chassis seems to be inspired heavily by the Zenitco rails and I've heard they are solid. Price (looking at $300+), compatibility issues with my Beryl and Yugo pattern rifles, and the added weight have prevented me from anything more than daydreaming. Ukrainian chassis rails are also being sold by AOA and may be worth a look. I'll also note that some of these systems with the cantilever optic mounts that extend over the dust cover appear to give a higher profile mounting than I would like.
    Thank you. The rifle in question is a current manufacture Norinco Type 56.
    Fitting a side rail system is possible, so may likely go for the RS regulate route. Heard horror stories about the TWS system but not sure if thats just forum banter.

Thank you. The rifle in question is a current manufacture Norinco Type 56.
    Fitting a side rail system is possible, so may likely go for the RS regulate route. Heard horror stories about the TWS system but not sure if thats just forum banter.
    I forgot to mention the Attero Bravo Mount. Seems to work very well. Jeff Gurwitch has used them on his competition AKs with out any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post

PSA keeps tempting me………

If Colorado passes an AWB this year I will probably press my desire for an AK103 and maybe a Krink (since I stupidly passed on the Mini Beryls). PSA has a solution for both needs.

It is being posted on Instagram and other places that Kalashnikov USA is filing for bankruptcy. I guess I'm not terribly surprised.

User Tag List