Thread: Recommended Metal AR Mags?

Recommended Metal AR Mags?

What brand(s) of aluminum bodied AR mags are good to go?

ETA: I thought I saw a recent thread on this very topic but searching in various ways gave me nothing.

TIA
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

I've had good luck with Surefeeds (no longer produced) and somewhat recently with Brownells mags with the magpul green follower

I wouldn't hesitate to use these if I had no access to pmags/lancers.

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

C products.

Okay ind.

Duramags.

Brownells.

Even some early Bushmaster, or whomever supplied them to Bushmaster.

Green followers have always worked great in mine
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Seems like D&H may be the only viable choice

https://bravocompanyusa.com/ar15-mag...30-round-gray/
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Okay Industries stopped making magazines. The Surefeeds are no longer produced.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    For standard GI mags, D&H and brownells. I’ve personally had good luck with the Brownell magazines.

Okay Surefeeds are great if you can find them. As noted, they are out of production.

The original followers in G.I. magazines were aluminum then black plastic, then a light green plastic introduced in the late 80s or early 90s.

While the light green follower was an improvement over the prior black follower, it is not a true anti-tilt follower. Magazines with the light green G.I. follower will work OK until the spring start to get a little weak.

Personally, I want Anti-tilt followers in any magazine for serious use. That means magpul followers (they are all the same regardless of color) or the tan GI followers.

The US Air Force and the US Marine Corps have officially switched to the tan Magpul Gen 3 PMAG though there are still significant numbers of metal mags still in use.

The Army uses currently a tan magazine with a blue follower called the Enhanced Performance Magazine (EPM) which was optimized for M855A1 but works fine with all ammo types. It’s made by Center Industries of Kansas. Center industries previously had a poor reputation when they were one of six suppliers of G.I. aluminum magazines. However, the EPM magazines seem to work fine.

If going Pmag, I would definitely spend The extra dollar or two for the GEN three magazines for any kind of serious issues.

When our agency transitioned from metal mags to Gen 2 PMAGs we tested the Lancer mags. Their performance was equal to the Gen 2 PMAGs but at a higher cost.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    For standard GI mags, D&H and brownells. I’ve personally had good luck with the Brownell magazines...
    Fantastic info! Brownells it is!

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

This is somewhat dated information, but back when I was buying Brownells magazines I had feeding issues with a number of them. I personally will not trust a Brownells magazine that I haven't tested. On the positive side, those that worked have just kept on working, so if a magazine doesn't fail immediately, it's probably going to be a good one. That said, I've never had similar issues with PMags, so...
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    This is somewhat dated information, but back when I was buying Brownells magazines I had feeding issues with a number of them. I will not trust a Brownells magazine that I haven't tested. On the positive side, those that worked have just kept on working, so if a magazine doesn't fail immediately, it will probably be a good one. That said, I've never had similar issues with PMags, so...
    I think I covered this in the M4C linked thread, but I believe Brownells were just re-labeled C(rap)products mags and should be avoided. They eventually changed manufacturers.

User Tag List