Page 96 of 109 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the AK

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Toolcraft is known to make high quality bolts and parts for ARs so it’s probably a pretty safe bet that their AK parts are top quality as well. The AK gets a lot of crap about being “cheap” but in reality the tooling to produce spec AKs is extremely costly and many US AKs have suffered from low strength parts especially front trunions (the part that holds the barrel in the receiver) and bolts. Palmetto has gained a pretty good reputation from AK enthusiasts for their ever improving quality clone rifles. So in short to be able to get a high quality AK clone these days for $600 and change is pretty remarkable.
    I should be able to report firsthand soon- I snagged one of the AK-101 clones they had for around $650 on sale the other day. This is the model I grabbed: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...ier-black.html

Another 9-hole AK video. This one on the PSA 5.45 AK74.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moshjath View Post
    I should be able to report firsthand soon- I snagged one of the AK-101 clones they had for around $650 on sale the other day. This is the model I grabbed: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...ier-black.html
    Please do!

I’ve been so tempted to grab one to use as a platform for an “alpha build.” Really the only reason I can think of not buying PSAs products is that the foreign made AKs are living on borrowed time so get them while you can. But it’s hard to pass up on these guns.

Anyone have any updates on whether PSA is still set to launch their steel-cased ammo? Mid 2023 was what sources from last year were saying. I figure someone will have to start supplying more 7.62x39 at least, with the prices and the number of guns so high.

Now would be a good time to start shipping it for sure. Prices have gone up almost 30 percent since I bought steel cased around this time last year.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Please do!

I’ve been so tempted to grab one to use as a platform for an “alpha build.” Really the only reason I can think of not buying PSAs products is that the foreign made AKs are living on borrowed time so get them while you can. But it’s hard to pass up on these guns.
    It came in, haven’t been able to shoot it yet. Tossed on a ribbed dust cover and plum furniture for purely aesthetic looks, I like the mid 80’s AK-74 look. Rivets seem very well done, safety has just the right amount of tension (compared to some Russian AKM’s I’ve messed with overseas). Will shoot it and report this weekend. Again, at $650 the price was right for what is essentially just a fun range gun option for me.Name:  IMG_0437.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  99.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Moshjath View Post
    It came in, haven’t been able to shoot it yet. Tossed on a ribbed dust cover and plum furniture for purely aesthetic looks, I like the mid 80’s AK-74 look. Rivets seem very well done, safety has just the right amount of tension (compared to some Russian AKM’s I’ve messed with overseas). Will shoot it and report this weekend. Again, at $650 the price was right for what is essentially just a fun range gun option for me.Name:  IMG_0437.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  99.2 KB
    Well that just looks "Plum Sexy!"

Looks like you picked up some AC Unity magazines? Also let me know how they run for you. They look really good (especially for the price) and seem to fit most 556 AKs, but I have had some back luck with their 762 magazines and am a little gun shy on them.

I’m really tempted to see what kind of Memorial Day sales PSA runs. I should be putting my play money into a G17 or 47 but I’ve been AK-less since 2016 or so and that’s just too long.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Anyone doing the Zastava m90 thing? What's the current mag situation? People say AC Unity works well (they're Bosnian, which is in the same neighborhood...). I know previous gens of the polymer Zastava mags had issues but they have gen 3 now. Original steel are somewhat available, but relatively expensive. Not sure if larger shipments of those ever arrive, or go ahead and get some now?

Bulgarian Circle 10s and Polish supposedly work but may need sanding. I'm not super interested in those considering they may need fitting and are more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by GlockenSpiel View Post
    Anyone doing the Zastava m90 thing? What's the current mag situation? People say AC Unity works well (they're Bosnian, which is in the same neighborhood...). I know previous gens of the polymer Zastava mags had issues but they have gen 3 now. Original steel are somewhat available, but relatively expensive. Not sure if larger shipments of those ever arrive, or go ahead and get some now?

Bulgarian Circle 10s and Polish supposedly work but may need sanding. I'm not super interested in those considering they may need fitting and are more expensive.
    Yep - I’ve been doing the M90 thing. Been a good gun for me.

The mag situation:

Zastava steel mags are awesome but a tad on the heavy and expensive side as noted. I have a handful of them and they all work well including the ones I have converted to work in my Valmet. Zastava USA seems to keep the price on them up but they do run sales every now and then.
    Zastava polymer mags are known for their wobble but in the $20-$25 range. Most people have reported good results with them but I have one that is a bum mag. I have one 2nd gen and 6 3rd gen (including the bad one). They are all wobbly.
    AC Unity - appear to be great mags, great price, Yugo bolt hold back, reinforced, and lock in fine. I have yet to do anything more that dry fire with them. I have had issues with AC Unity’s 762 durability and that is preventing me from investing any more into them until I can get a couple hundred rounds through them.
    Radom - A sample of one Beryl mag made by Radom has been 100%. It fit snug but loosened up after some use. Price is decent when you can find them on sale. They are not reinforced so may not last forever. Also they do not have a bolt holdback.
    WBP - Need a little bit of filing on the back of the magazine (about 5 minutes worth) to fit, but once they do have worked 100% for me. Like the Radom mags, they are unreinforced plastic so may not have the longevity of some of the other magazines but they are priced well and run well after modification. An other plus is that they are available in 30 20 and 10 round capacities. Like the Radom - no bolt holdback.
    ProMag- Yes - ProMag has a spotty reputation but I have been hearing good things about them. They lock in fine to the M90 and are reinforced. Price is good. I plan on picking up one or two to give a try.

I like the M90 and it does everything I need. My only real gripe about it is it is heavier that most other 556 AKs. I have been eyeing getting another 556 AK as I do fear the economics of going forward with 762x39. The Beryl is looking good as are these PSA guns. The ability to use mags in both the M90 as well as any other 556 AK I pick up will greatly influence future magazine selection.

It does seem that ACUnity and ProMag are trying to make their magazines work in as many platforms as possible.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 05-19-2023 at 10:49 AM.

User Tag List