Page 84 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the AK

When the AK proliferated across the globe the machinery came with technical specs. Every place that came up with a 556 AK did so totally on their own. Lots of variation and parts incompatibility. There is a company making a 545 to 556 follower to convert 74 mags.

Pod Arms

https://podarms.com/shop/
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Echo93 has released a simplified “Slab Side” version of their 85 Grip. It’s a bit cheaper than the more contoured version. I don’t have a preference yet.

http://instagram.com/p/CiKxryKOGkY/
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Yep, I'd sell for those sorts of numbers!

7.62x39's are basically all one exact matching pattern. With 5.56 AK mags there's six significant patterns I know of:

Norinco 5.56
    Polytech 5.56 (uses exact same magwell as 7.62x39)
    E. German 'Wieger' 5.56 (Romanians copied this, all Romy 5.56 AK's like the SAR-3 used Weiger mags)
    Yugoslavian/Serbian M85/M90 5.56
    Russian/Bulgarian 5.56
    Polish Beryl 5.56

The good news is that the latter three are all really close, and AC-Unity is importing a 5.56 AK magazine for cheap now that overwhelmingly runs well in Arsenal, Zastava, and Polish pattern 5.56 guns.

But yes, if you buy a Chinese 5.56 AK or an older Romy 5.56 you're going to have a hard time with good magazines. Century arms actually took AK74 mags and put new followers in them to make them 'work' with 5.56 Romy AK's... it *mostly* worked.

If you wanted a 'one and done' solution then a SAM-5 plus a handful of the $$$ Bulgarian mags and a pile of the AC-Unity mags would definitely scratch the AK itch without having to fuss with AK calibers.
    And none of them will work with a Galil.

Yep, I'd sell for those sorts of numbers!

7.62x39's are basically all one exact matching pattern. With 5.56 AK mags there's six significant patterns I know of:

Norinco 5.56
    Polytech 5.56 (uses exact same magwell as 7.62x39)
    E. German 'Wieger' 5.56 (Romanians copied this, all Romy 5.56 AK's like the SAR-3 used Weiger mags)
    Yugoslavian/Serbian M85/M90 5.56
    Russian/Bulgarian 5.56
    Polish Beryl 5.56

The good news is that the latter three are all really close, and AC-Unity is importing a 5.56 AK magazine for cheap now that overwhelmingly runs well in Arsenal, Zastava, and Polish pattern 5.56 guns.

I picked up some of the AC-Unity mags for my 223 Saiga. They needed a slight cut to the feedlips using a file and they fit. Now I need to test fire.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorsai View Post
    And none of them will work with a Galil.
    Guess how much that matters depends on whether or not you consider the Galil an AK variant, or the Galil to be its own bespoke design that was massively influenced by the AK. I'm in the latter camp so that honestly didn't cross my mind. But a fair point to make for folks who might wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I picked up some of the AC-Unity mags for my 223 Saiga. They needed a slight cut to the feedlips using a file and they fit. Now I need to test fire.
    Saigas had changes made internally so they couldn't use military pattern mags but kept a double feed mag well. If yours has what they called the 'bullet guide' installed after import, and is otherwise prepped to run military mags, you should be OK barring the usual AK hiccups.

Guess how much that matters depends on whether or not you consider the Galil an AK variant, or the Galil to be its own bespoke design that was massively influenced by the AK. I'm in the latter camp so that honestly didn't cross my mind. But a fair point to make for folks who might wonder.

Saigas had changes made internally so they couldn't use military pattern mags but kept a double feed mag well. If yours has what they called the 'bullet guide' installed after import, and is otherwise prepped to run military mags, you should be OK barring the usual AK hiccups.
    Mine is still in sporter configuration, no bullet guide, just like it left the factory. It will probably stay that way as it is slim and handy. I have access to an Arsenal SAM5 if I want to do the AK pattern thing. I have not tried the Unity mags in the SAM5 but will.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Mine is still in sporter configuration, no bullet guide, just like it left the factory. It will probably stay that way as it is slim and handy. I have access to an Arsenal SAM5 if I want to do the AK pattern thing. I have not tried the Unity mags in the SAM5 but will.
    You can add the bullet guide without doing any of the other conversion bits, which gives you the best of both worlds for your goals.
    I had a Saiga in 7.62x39 years ago and it was a handy thing in its original configuration.

A SAM5 is really high on my 'DO WANT' list, but it's hard to justify when I've got a bunch of other good AK's and AR's already. Let us know how your AC Unity mags work in that one!

Bolt carrier and FCG is interchangeable. Pistol grip is interchangeable. You can put an AK trigger guard and mag catch on a Galil or vice versa. The first Galil started as a Valmet receiver (7.62x39mm) with a 5.56mm barrel and new bolt. The Valmet (or Sako) uses Finnish mags, or standard AK 7.62x39 mags. I think it would be accurate to call it the first 5.56mm AK.

Site Supporter
    https://thinlineweapons.com/wiki/ind..._Compatibility

I found this wiki listing of 5.56mm AK mag cross compatibility and thought it'd be worth sharing here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsai View Post
    Bolt carrier and FCG is interchangeable. Pistol grip is interchangeable. You can put an AK trigger guard and mag catch on a Galil or vice versa. The first Galil started as a Valmet receiver (7.62x39mm) with a 5.56mm barrel and new bolt. The Valmet (or Sako) uses Finnish mags, or standard AK 7.62x39 mags. I think it would be accurate to call it the first 5.56mm AK.
    I knew the PG and trigger guard/mag catch could be interchanged, had no idea about the FCG or bolt carrier! I had an SAR kit a long time ago (sold when I realized building it wasn't within my means) I remember the FCG having some significant differences when compared to my AK's, though. But different doesn't prevent interchangeable. Looks like I have more research to do. Thanks!

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I’m just going throw this out on the AC Unity magazines. They are inexpensive and have the reinforced locking lugs that we like but I have had 4 of them go down on me in the last couple of years with what I would call moderate use. First the follower breaks but the mag still functions but soon after begin to have feeding issues. I would estimate I get about 300 rounds out of each mag. In contrast my various European and ChiCom steel mags have held up though all this time.

This is all with 7.62 magazines and the 556 mags may be more solid but I’ve sought other mags to feed my M90. Might pick one of their 556 mag up just to give it a try but I went with the wobbly but functional Zastava mags and the Polish mag (which did need some slight lug modifications) when procuring my long term 556 mags.

Given the low price of the AC Unity mags I wouldn’t call them trash - they work well until they don’t, just in my experience they should be seen as short lived magazines.

User Tag List