Page 99 of 109 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the AK

Vending Machine Operator
    Since I've already dropped the money on my ZPAP and the fit and finish seem excellent, I am not overly concerned, but I'm nothing if not honest. The proof is in the pudding, and I'll be sure to update once I have a decent amount of rounds downrange. If it's shitty, so I shall report.

As often as I'm able to get to the range these days, I anticipate I'll have a good writeup ready in approximately 7 to 9 years.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter

Current state of the AK

I know that AKs are kind of over-gassed by design, but one of my Saigas seems to be especially so.

I thought about getting a KNS adjustable gas piston to remedy, but it looks like I would have to do some surgery to the bolt carrier to make it happen, because of the way Saiga gas pistons were manufactured.

Has anyone here done this themselves? How hard was it to do? Was the end result worthwhile?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Serbia halts arms exports after US sanctioned the country’s spy chief for alleged illegal arms trade

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...gal-arms-trade

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    I know that AKs are kind of over-gassed by design, but one of my Saigas seems to be especially so.

I thought about getting a KNS adjustable gas piston to remedy, but it looks like I would have to do some surgery to the bolt carrier to make it happen, because of the way Saiga gas pistons were manufactured.

Has anyone here done this themselves? How hard was it to do? Was the end result worthwhile?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    As a matter of fact, I have a Saiga 5.56 with a KNS gas piston in it. I got impatient and tried to free the piston from the carrier without the proper tools instead of finding someone with a drill press and, I didn't quite ruin it but it turned out pretty hack so I bought another carrier and it all dropped in and worked fine.

If you have access to a drill press it should be a pretty trivial operation. If you do not you can just buy an appropriate bolt carrier without a piston in it and install the KNS in that.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Serbia halts arms exports after US sanctioned the country’s spy chief for alleged illegal arms trade

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...gal-arms-trade

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    ...would it make me a complete garbage person to list my brand new, unfired ZPAP on gunbroker in about a month for 2x sticker price?
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    ...would it make me a complete garbage person to list my brand new, unfired ZPAP on gunbroker in about a month for 2x sticker price?
    I have one I was going to sell this weekend. I’m not going to ask crazy prices but I won’t be giving it away. I would sit on it for a little while longer but the wife recently asked about the $1500 charge to Atlantic on the credit card statement.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Prices haven’t really spiked on gunbroker or online retailers. It will probably take a bit of time and the renewal of the 30 day ban. As it is currently there are lots of M70s at online retailers and gunbroker.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Prices haven’t really spiked on gunbroker or online retailers. It will probably take a bit of time and the renewal of the 30 day ban. As it is currently there are lots of M70s at online retailers and gunbroker.
    I was surprised to see that as well. All the guntubers are screaming - “Do Not Panic Buy!” Maybe it is having some affect? Oddly enough I just spoke to my wife who is in Serbia right now and no one in her circles seems to concerned. Then again, people in KEEEEEEEEEEEEV were partying before the invasion. Also I find it interesting that the story of why shipment of AKs has been halted seems to be changing. At this point I can’t help but spew my coffee whenever I hear anyone in the US .gov accusing another country of illegally funneling arms……

While I like the M70, the reality is that if they were to disappear we are at a point where there are other good AK options out there. It would be a loss for sure, but the AK community would be OK.

ETA - It would suck for me personally as it would dash my dreams of ever getting an M-21.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 07-20-2023 at 10:16 AM.

My little Polish hottie was waiting for me at my FFL after getting back from a month of training in Dallas!

Name:  IMG_7275.jpeg
Views: 336
Size:  41.8 KB

Have to say the fit and finish are as good as any AK I’ve handled! Folding stock was waiting for me in the mail box, the sling and optics rail should arrive tomorrow. Look forward to getting her to the range. Definitely svelter than the M90.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    optics rail should arrive tomorrow.
    Top rail? Do you have to remove the rail to field strip the rifle?
    Last edited by Jaywalker; 07-21-2023 at 07:10 AM.

User Tag List