Page 69 of 108 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the AK

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Zhukov HG is heavy and requires chopping the HG retainer. I do not like them. The shorter MOE HG is great. My choice for extended HG is the RS Regulate GKR-10MS but I’m biased.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    I’ve shot guns with the magpul Zhukov. Hated the even worse forward bias in balance.

I’ve shot the TDI aluminum mlok. The hottest, most finger burning-est, HG I’ve tried.

I’ve owned and used MI, Troy, SLR and RS Regulate. The RS are extremely lightweight and handle heat the best of any rail I’ve ever seen. They accept OEM heat shield (probably has something to do with how well it handles heat) and allows you to keep your cleaning rod.
    Just clocking on “hand guards” on the RS site reminds me why I hate AK stuff. Want an AR hand guard? Pretty good bet what really you want will fit. Want an AK hand guard? Which trunnion do you have, from which country, with what front sight, and has some other part been cut off yet or not and.... fuck me running. Not to mention having to develop for all those interfaces almost certainly drives up development and tooling costs, which get passed right along to the customer, who ironically was (at least until the recent last) buying an AK vs an AR to save money to begin with!

All of that to say, is there one of these that can be retrofit to the Palmetto I bought with the long Zhukov installed?
    https://rsregulate.com/product-category/handguards/

While I’m not looking to change anything at the moment, and certainly not to the tune of $200+, and without having even shot the thing, and no prospective time TO shoot it, I’d still like to know.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

So the fitment issues with PSA come from their wonky HG retainer. It’s been accomplished with a bolt-on HG retainer but I’m unsure of the exact details. I’m trying to find out for ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter

Thinking about making a custom build.

Want a parts kit from 1985 (my birth year) and wanting to find this stock set:

https://www.legionusa.com/ak-100-fol...stock-set.html

And a good builder to put it all together and put a nice blue and a linseed/tung oil finish on it.

What's a good forum with a decent marketplace to read up on parts kits and buy? Gunbroker has some nice 1985 Polish kits but asking $3000
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Thinking about making a custom build.

Want a parts kit from 1985 (my birth year) and wanting to find this stock set:

https://www.legionusa.com/ak-100-fol...stock-set.html

And a good builder to put it all together and put a nice blue and a linseed/tung oil finish on it.

What's a good forum with a decent marketplace to read up on parts kits and buy? Gunbroker has some nice 1985 Polish kits but asking $3000
    I too would be interested in a good builder as I have a SA93 that I would like completely de-banned.

As far as the stock finish though, just a little elbow grease can yield spectacular results.

Site Supporter
    Just got my RS handguard installed, glad I went with this over the Zhukov. Thanks @Hizzie .
    Name:  20210306_152229.jpg
Views: 1362
Size:  56.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    So I'm intrigued by these, but I think I'm about to order the standard
    PSAK-47 GF3 FORGED ZHUKOV RIFLE, GRAY

because
    1. it's available and the "enhanced" isn't
    2. it's $240 less expensive
    3. I'm not sure how much I'll really shoot the thing (this is largely a "want" and a "pre-election panic" purchase)

My question is, am I missing anything or buying into any potential issues with the "Zhukov"? Does the furniture actually suck, is the folding stock a pain to use, does the longer handguard add weight for no reason... anything else I might be missing?

Also, what else should I get while I'm getting. Pretty sure I have ammo and mags from the last AK I owned. Any particular "new" mags that I should get while I'm getting? is there a partilcar P-mag that's good/bad? One that's "serious" and one that's "training"?

Attachment 49894
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I went ahead and ordered the above today.

I do think that I might maybe one day want to have the ability to add a suppressor but not bad enough for a $240 premium plus waiting an indeterminate amount of time.

Turns out I maybe don't have any mags, but do have some limited ammo, so I guess I gotta get a good baker's dozen of mags now, at least.
    it's been over a year, about 14 months, actually, since ordering the above. Haven't shot it, or even had an opportunity or a free day to make an opportunity to shoot it, since. It's sat, unfired, in the safe this entire time. I don't even think I ever really put the box away in my workshop...

Is there any sort of panicking or other peak in the market I could take advantage of to sell it off? I don't really "need" the money, but nor do I frankly "need" another boat anchor sitting in the safe.

Looks like I paid about $700/shipped for it. Any chance of getting my money back or even a little more? Looks like this guy is *asking* $1,100 starting bid for something pretty similar. That'd go a long way toward paying for the Beretta 1301 that'd give me better feels while it sits unfired than the AK is doing...
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

@rob_s I would expect $1000+ auction result in the current market for a few reasons. 1) Demand is still outpacing supply, 2) market prices remain bloated (cause and effect with #1), and 3) although historically high, the price for 7.62x39 is by far the cheapest centerfire rifle ammo you can find.

Anyone have feedback on the “Radom” Hellpup pistols in 7.62x39? My understanding is they’re made IN Radom, not BY Radom. GTG or hard pass?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Anyone have feedback on the “Radom” Hellpup pistols in 7.62x39? My understanding is they’re made IN Radom, not BY Radom. GTG or hard pass?
    I was advised by a few guys that know more than me that they were subpar.

Finally swapped out the heavy SLR handguard for a GKR7MS. Decided I prefer tailcap switch to pressure pad as well. This setup just feels more natural.

http://instagram.com/p/CPA-BUwrV8p/
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List