Page 45 of 108 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the AK

Anyone have experience with Magpul 5.45 magazines? I got a couple and they are a little too tight, I have to smack the mag release with a magazine to get them out. Is this something that will work itself out with some reps or do I need to take a file to the rear lugs?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by helothar View Post
    Anyone have experience with Magpul 5.45 magazines? I got a couple and they are a little too tight, I have to smack the mag release with a magazine to get them out. Is this something that will work itself out with some reps or do I need to take a file to the rear lugs?

On my Bulgarian kit build AK-74 and my Arsenal SLR-104UR, I encountered the same tight fitment and I just worked the mags in and out repeatedly until they loosened up nicely.

I only got one range trip in with the AK-74 build and the Magpul mags, maybe 120-150 rounds total divided between three different Magpul mags, but I encountered no issues. I am excited to get home and try the AC-Unity mags I bought from RTGparts recently, though. I am a fan of Magpul but I do prefer metal locking lugs on AK mags.

RTG currently has those 30rnd window AK74 mags for $13.95 each, and they say 45rnd ones are on the way.

I've been tempted to buy one or two of those Pufgun 60 round mags for giggles, or one of those KCI 95rnd drums. Does anyone here have any experience with those?

Quote Originally Posted by helothar View Post

If it's only those mags that are a problem, you could do as my homie @JRB said and work them in and out until the plastic lug wears down a bit. Or if they're as tight as you say and need to be strongly encouraged to come out, you could take a smooth cut file and make one light pass at a time on the rear lug of the magazine until they lock in tight with no wobble but can be removed by working the mag release with a thumb or finger. I can't stress this enough though, one light pass at a time.

If all the mags you have are that tight, that's an out of spec magazine catch and the remedy to that is one light pass at a time with the file as well. One light pass.
    Last edited by Casual Friday; 09-21-2019 at 09:21 AM.

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'll try to file the rear lugs. I have just encountered this problem with magpuls (although I haven't used any other aftermarket magazines). Molot and izmash mags come out easily

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    The following are steaming piles of turd that borderline on dangerous:

Century RAS47
    Century C39
    Century C39 V2
    Century “American” Draco - any size

Too many guns with bad heat treat coming out of Zastava the past few years. PAP, NPAP, OPAP and M92 all randomly effected. No “safe” date range.
    What about the m85 pistols that take AR mags? Same story?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    What about the m85 pistols that take AR mags? Same story?
    The M85 pistols and M90 rifles oddly did not seem to be affected by the heat treat issues, just poor QC. The magwells are just plastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    The M85 pistols and M90 rifles oddly did not seem to be affected by the heat treat issues, just poor QC. The magwells are just plastic.
    Thanks! LGS has 2 on consignment for $685/ea and I thought one might be a good way to get my AK back on without having to stock up again on 7.62x39 and mags.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

In the FWIW category. I sold out the AK platforms I owned back in 2012 when prices went through the roof. I never considered them serious use rifles in my case, just range toys. First of the year I picked up one of the new gen 3 PSA Forged AK's because I simply missed having one to play with.

I think PSA might finally have a decent gun, but I am just a sample of one. To date about 1500 rounds down range, nary a bobble of any sort, and I find it a lot more accurate than any of the low end 7.62x39 guns I owned before (WASR 10's, a Maadi, a Norinco) with me shooting the irons from the bench. I guess time will tell on the durability front but so far it is quite a lot of fun and is not showing any unusual wear or deformation internally. Fit and finish seems much better than the low end guns I had previously owned. At some point this Spring I am going to put a side mount scope on the thing and see what it will really do accuracy wise.

@fatdog can you post a link to the specific model you bought?

While we're talkin' 'bout PSA AKs, and I too am curious about Fatdog's rifle, does anyone have any updates on the newly released PSA AK-E (enhanced?)?
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...fle-black.html

I'm watching this thread and doing my best to pick up the knowledge that gets dropped.

User Tag List