Page 104 of 110 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1093

Thread: Current state of the AK

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
    By chance do you have any experience with the Galil Ace platform? I’m really tempted to grab one of them but can’t get over the many claims of how hot the Gen 2 handguard gets relatively quickly.
    None. While I have been known to have unclean thoughts about the first gen Galil ARMs and SARs, the ACE lacks the distinctive look that I love, is mostly proprietary, and that combined with issues getting them in California when I live there have kept them off my radar.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    And had I kept my pre-ban Chinese Spiker. Ah, well. I traded it for a Daewoo 5.56. I should have kept that one, too.

The WBP Jack rifles get decent reviews and are priced fairly well although they are not civilianized military production.
    Seems to me that the Jacks are probably the best bet for someone wanting a classic AKM these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post

Seems to me that the Jacks are probably the best bet for someone wanting a classic AKM these days.
    Unless I'm mistaken, Krebs is using WBP parts in his M23. That would seem to be a good sign.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Unless I'm mistaken, Krebs is using WBP parts in his M23. That would seem to be a good sign.

I know I have read that there is some official cooperation between FB Radom and WBP.

Still wonder if Pioneer guns will ever get acceptable? I saw an undefolder months ago and it looked very nice, if I hadn’t heard of some of the scandal around them I would have been really tempted.

If WBP or Zastava start bringing underfolders I’ll be unable to resist.

I know I have read that there is some official cooperation between FB Radom and WBP.

Still wonder if Pioneer guns will ever get acceptable? I saw an undefolder months ago and it looked very nice, if I hadn’t heard of some of the scandal around them I would have been really tempted.

If WBP or Zastava start bringing underfolders I’ll be unable to resist.
    Is Zastava shipping guns again? I thought they'd extended the 30 day suspension to indefinite.

The issue I have with WBP is non-standard bolt parts. But that's kind of a nitpick. The .223 guns out there are all more or less their own thing anyway. I think Russia and Poland are the only countries that basically used the AK74 as the starting point for 5.56 rifles.

Is Zastava shipping guns again? I thought they'd extended the 30 day suspension to indefinite.

The issue I have with WBP is non-standard bolt parts. But that's kind of a nitpick. The .223 guns out there are all more or less their own thing anyway. I think Russia and Poland are the only countries that basically used the AK74 as the starting point for 5.56 rifles.

A perusal of Zastava’s website last night shows them out of stock of all firearms, so I think you are right - no new shipment. I think there is still some stock at the distributor level however. ZUSA said at SHOT SHoW that they would be bringing in underfolders 3rd Quarter but that is obviously on indefinite hold.

556 guns are a mixed bag as you say. The M90 is a M70 with an adjustable gas system from the M76 but to be fair, the Yugos never went to the AK74. The 556 Jack appear to simply be an AKM in 556. Don’t know about the Bulgarian guns?

The 556 Jack appear to simply be an AKM in 556. Don’t know about the Bulgarian guns?
    The Bulgarians did a Soviet spec AK74 5.45 that was built to that standard with the thin stem bolt and longer lugs. Then for whatever reason they did the 5.56 gun as basically an AKM.

The WBP stuff, at least the 5.45 and 5.56, are unique with bolt stems and carriers that fall between AKM and AK74 in diameter. I don't know if this is what they're doing also with the 7.62 guns. Are they using this to get around some kind of export restrictions?

It may be true Mike Jones received a hand selected firearm. It might also be the case that Rob Ski did as well. But the quality issues brought up in the most recent AK-103 video seem to be related to steel quality and heat treatment, that is, deformation of forged steel after 5000 rounds. Perhaps PSA is not magnetic particle testing their vendors' bolts and trunnions? Other than the barrel are not those the parts that really matter.

Rob Ski put his stamp of approval on the PSA AK 103. I believe I saw a video with Jim Fuller doing that same. I hold both in high esteem. My expectation is that my AK 103 will perform satisfactorily up to and beyond 5000 rounds and if it doesn't, I will expect PSA to honor its warranty. I won't know if they will until this happens just like I don't know whether Ruger would do the same on one of their firearms (which they have for me up to date). However, I have experienced problems with multiple Glock 19's, various Ruger firearms and Smith and Wesson handguns over the years--all guns with many testers and endorsers and generally held to be durable high quality firearms by the shooting public. Although my expectations are high and am disappointed with a failure, it is not surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
    It may be true Mike Jones received a hand selected firearm. It might also be the case that Rob Ski did as well. But the quality issues brought up in the most recent AK-103 video seem to be related to steel quality and heat treatment, that is, deformation of forged steel after 5000 rounds.
    By all accounts it would seem that PSA is standing behind the AK rifles. Complaints are being fixed but do sometimes take several trips back to the factory before being fully addressed. I've also seen reports of customers getting refunds for rifles that don't meet expectations.

One thing I do wonder about with regard to Blue Jean's rifle--which bolt carrier assembly is being used? PSA switched to bolts, carriers and trunnions made by Tool Craft about a year-ish ago. Is BJO's rifle assembled with Tool Craft parts or with the older stuff?

PSA definitely has a good warranty, but I would still lean towards it being better to get a quality import while still available. In particular the Polish FB Radom Beryl rifle. But I'd even take an inspected WASR or better yet, a ZPAP M70 over an American made AK. Every AK import eventually ceases to be available.

KUSA KP-104

Hit the range for the first time with my KUSA KP-104 (AK-104 clone) since my stamp got approved and had a great time! Only put seven mags through it, it ran without issue. I'll bench it on paper next time, I just zeroed it to minute of reduced size steel at 100m yesterday. Generates a bit of a fireball with the 12.5" barrel, should have a Dead Air Wolverine to put on it soon.

Name:  KUSA AK-104.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  24.7 KB

User Tag List